Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Women’s World Cup 🏆 2019
Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Is anyone watching and what do you guys think so far ?

Comments
Gennady 5 years ago
Manchester United 284 3961

Not really to be honest. Just following the results and will probably watch the final as usual.

Emobot7 5 years ago Edited
538 11432

I'm watching the highlight and its not too bad, only problem I have is that some decision from the ref I'm not sure I'm okay with. For example, this happened to give Spain a penality and gave them the lead in the game vs South Africa: https://youtu.be/mZVDNlLFu-s?t=95

Is that really penalty worthy? :S

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I'm watching the highlight and its not too bad, only problem I have is that some decision from the ref I'm not sure I'm okay with. For example, this happened to give Spain a penality and gave them the lead in the game vs South Africa: https://youtu.be/mZVDNlLFu-s?t=95

Is that really penality worthy? :S

SunFlash 5 years ago
USA 19 3260

I've been pretty impressed so far, the quality of the play has gone up considerably in the last couple years. Especially some of the weaker sides are no longer getting hammered by like 7 goals the way they were in the past.

iHEARTfootball 5 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Some teams have been quite awful, but I think Germany has been very impressive thus far. I wouldn't be at all surprised if France goes all the way too, but these are just the first games. I will get a better picture on the second games. Too quick for me to make any judgement.

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

USA is going to win. They are incredibly good as always.

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

I have enjoyed all 5 games that I have watched. As mentioned, teams are not getting blown out like they used to, and it is nice to see matches where players are not diving for a call every other minute.

The only game miss I have had so far was the Australia vs Italy game. I figured the Aussies to win that one and they lost a close one.

The game in Europe has surely picked up at the club level, which shows at the cup for the respective national teams.

The US will want to make sure they are mentally and physically prepared for more than just one or two teams. This not going to be an easy tournament.

Ledley 5 years ago

The only game miss I have had so far was the Australia vs Italy game. I figured the Aussies to win that one and they lost a close one.

Yeah the national team came out and said they want to win it, as soon as they said that i had a bad feeling about Italy game with their expectations.

Italy scored in the last second of the game.:p It was decent quality football which can only get better over time.

Any of you guys think that some of it has become political? For example, equal pay, certain players missing the tournament due to protest (Ada Hederberg, Norway). This whole men vs women thing. For me, it really irks me as i think the men are overpaid and just become lazy (Think Mesut Ozil walking off pitch lol). I prefer the old days where it was an honour to play for the national team, and you had a secondary job you would work at during the week, like being a police officer or something.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@Ledley Basically, you shouldn't give player bonus if they do well. You should only pay them if they do well. Thats what I think. Would be the best motivation ever.

DarthFooty 5 years ago Edited

Of course teams and players are using this as a platform for change. We see it in the Olympics as well for all kinds of reasons.

Hederberg started her protest two years ago, so it is just highlighted more now with the Cup and the fact that she won the Ballon D'or.

I will leave those politics out but will say, they should have pride in putting on the national jersey. Something that does seem to have lost it's luster in todays sports.

• History

Of course teams and players are using this as a platform for change. We see it in the Olympics as well for all kinds of reasons.

Hederberg started her protect two years ago, so it is just highlighted more now with the Cup and the fact that she won the Ballon D'or.

I will leave those politics out but will say, they should have pride in putting on the national jersey. Something that does seem to have lost it's luster in todays sports.

Marcus2011 5 years ago

How do you expect these professionals work full time at regular job and stay pro? Especially when they get annual solid salary without any effect wether they play or not.

I think major even like World Cup is excellent opportunity to make political points heard by masses.

I read somewhere comments of Hope Solo that USWNT is so good that they don’t need great coach to do well in competition. She was criticizing Jill Ellis for being spineless leader who relies a lot on her coaching assistants advices especially under pressure. I think US has a very uniquely talented team who seemed to go heads and shoulders above most teams.

SunFlash 5 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

I read somewhere comments of Hope Solo that USWNT is so good that they don’t need great coach to do well in competition. She was criticizing Jill Ellis for being spineless leader who relies a lot on her coaching assistants advices especially under pressure. I think US has a very uniquely talented team who seemed to go heads and shoulders above most teams.

Hope Solo is angry because she (rightly) did not get call-ups after being found guilty of domestic violence. I'd take anything she says about the team and especially Ellis with a grain of salt.

• History

Hope Solo is angry because she (rightly) did not get call-ups after being found guilty of domestic violence. I'd take anything she says about the team with a grain of salt.

Ledley 5 years ago Edited

I will leave those politics out but will say, they should have pride in putting on the national jersey.

I agree DarthFoot.

How do you expect these professionals work full time at regular job and stay pro?

I guess pay them full time salaries. However, don’t overpay a gazillion dollars.

Can I also say that Hope Solo is a victim of her own actions.

So here’s a 2ndary Question, does equal pay = equality ?

• History

I will leave those politics out but will say, they should have pride in putting on the national jersey.

I agree iHeart.

How do you expect these professionals work full time at regular job and stay pro?

I guess pay them full time salaries. However, don’t overpay a gazillion dollars.

Can I also say that Hope Solo is a victim of her own actions of Douchebaggery?

I agree iHeart.

Can I also say that Hope Solo is a victim of her own actions.

Emobot7 5 years ago Edited
538 11432

Personally, I would say no. But its certainly a complex question if you start thinking about it deeply.

• History

Personally, I would say no. But its certainly a complex question if think about it.

Marcus2011 5 years ago

Equal opportunity = equality

USWMNT - only national team that gets guaranteed salary wether they have one game or 20 a year. You could increase that salary or turn into performance based but it all depends if the team generate money for distribution of higher wages. Accounting and microeconomics 101.

@sunflash
I didn’t know this about Solo. Well, she seems angel like on the surface but apparently quite a bloody c*nt.

I still think she has a grain of salty truth though. USWMNT is exceptionally good team and they seem to find solutions for any opposition.

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

The French wants to copy the men, France are the hosts with a squad full of experience ( mix between PSG and Lyon ) I believe they can do it.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

I think its going to be between France and USA if I'm being honest. Though, I would be obviously happy if Canada were to win it. though, it seem a bit unlikely. :(

Ledley 5 years ago

Step aside Leo Messi, there’s a new star Alex Morgan. :D

I just don’t think the word “Canada 🇨🇦“ and the word Soccer go together Emo! Hopefully I’m proved wrong.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@Ledley BANG BANG! Besiktas fans disagree with you. enter image description here

Marcus2011 5 years ago

Disgraceful behavior by US players. Germans when beating Brazil showed restrain in celebration and obviously out of sportsmanship. We can debate about how many they could have scored against Brazil and wether they stopped on purpose, but not doing crazy celebrations was obvious even though final was at stake and against mighty Brazil.

USWMNT should stfu and play football. Entertaining not campaigning. Earn more by playing more not talking because this isn’t talk show event. And if media is sympathetic to their cause, then maybe start broadcasting more rather than mentioning about them only when there is a sensational headline to get more ratings and views.

DarthFooty 5 years ago

@Marcus2011 I agree to a point. In my opinion, any of the veteran players should have dialed it back after scoring. It is not their first time in a cup and the score was high enough to warrant more restraint.

But as for the new players to their first World Cup... You bet your a$s I would be celebrating. We all dream of playing in the World Cup. They trained hard to win this tournament. Enjoy your moment!

As for the score itself, again my opinion, it is more disrespectful to just pass the ball back and forth, effectively stop trying, than having a higher score. I have been on both sides of that fence and as a competitor, I will give you more respect for playing your game rather than take pity. Let the play dictate the score.

I see your issue is with the excessive celebrations and I can't disagree there for the most part.