Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Why Tottenham should be considered title contenders
amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Ok, I don't like Tottenham at all ( had to get it out). That being said, I believe there's a few reasons why Tottenham could surprise many teams and be potential title contenders

Firstly, they have the attacking trio of Eriksen, Alli and Kane. They are all superb players at their best, they can cause problems for any defense in the league, great combination and great chemistry.

Secondly, they are tactical and aware. Mauricio Pochettino and the players have a great relationship. He has been known to break teams confidence, as shown against Chelsea, and nicked the win in an greatly fought performance.

Thirdly, they have a great defense, and in games, they have shown to be great at the back. Greatly composed, and good defense for a potential league winner

Finally, the combination of Wanyama and Dembele. A great midfielding duo, and can potentially win any midfield battle in the league

What do you guys think of Tottenham? Underrated? Overrated? Potential league winners? Leave it all down below...

Comments
kyoekyar 7 years ago
12 163

It's strange. I have a feeling that Spurs is very similar to Leeds United of 2000's.

Btw, Leeds is now in Championship and currently 3rd. I hope them to be promoted to PL next year

Lodatz 7 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

It's strange. I have a feeling that Spurs is very similar to Leeds United of 2000's.

But why? I'm genuinely curious as to what similarity you see...

kyoekyar 7 years ago
12 163

@Lodatz

-Both of them have young players
-Both of their cores are built on english players
-their managers are not famous ones (before their terms with respective teams) and didn't win major trophies
-Both teams have small budgets compared with other big guns in PL
-Both of them wear white jerseys
-People don't think both of them can win epl over Man United and Arsenal for Leeds, AND Chelsea, Liverpool, Man city, Man United, Arsenal for Spurs (This thread is a proof for it)

Just my opinion. You can have different opinion lols...

Lodatz 7 years ago

Very true. I was just curious because the first thing most people think of when they hear Leeds is the huge financial meltdown they had. But you're right about all that you say. Maybe we can have some better luck than Leeds did?

kyoekyar 7 years ago Edited
12 163

Well, actually I had high hopes for Spurs to become real title contender since Bale left and they got big money to spend for new players but they never clicked. So, I don't seem them as a title contender yet for this season. BUT I don't think they will become like Leeds unless they spend like them without proper income (Leeds bought Ferdinand, Viduka, Robbie Keane, Fowler to succeed in Europe but they failed to qualify for UCL).

@Lodatz I can understand the feeling of a fan of team which is trying to get a breakthrough since I support Roma for Serie A too. Seems like they (Roma) will always choke at critical periods lol...

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Well, actually I had high hopes for Spurs to become real title contender since Bale left and they got big money to spend for new players but they never clicked. So, I don't seem them as a title contender yet for this season. BUT I don't think they will become like Leeds unless they spend like them without proper income (Leeds bought Ferdinand, Viduka, Robbie Keane, Fowler to succeed in Europe but they failed to qualify for UCL).

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Excellent point regarding Leeds similarity. But I dont think Spur would suffer the same faith as Leeds did, I remember when Leeds was still a force in EPL with that crazy blonde kid Alan Smith, still clueless how Leeds management fucked shat up so badly until this day

12 163

@tuan They took large loans hoping to get back from TV rights and revenues from UCL but they failed to qualify. What a brave move though

• History

@tuan They took a large loans hoping to get back from TV rights and revenues from UCL but they failed to qualify. What a brave move though

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited

...and they took out big loans to do so, yeah. :/

Well, in that regard, we're already used to having to be conservative in our transfer aspirations. No hopeful dreams of Griezmann or Aubameyang for us, I'm afraid; especially not with the money we're focusing on the stadium. I think you're right in that the Bale money was mostly misspent, although we did get Eriksen, Lamela out of it. Who could have predicted that a prolific striker like Soldado would not work out in England, eh? Ah well. I did like him; he worked hard for the team, and had some family tragedy behind the scenes.

So yeah, we're probably going to have to stick to team spirit and young diamonds as our weapons for a bit longer, until we can start pulling in gate revenues from the new stadium to help us keep up over the long haul.

• History

...and they took out big loans to do so, yeah. :/

Well, in that regard, we're already used to having to be conservative in our transfer aspirations. No Griezmann or Aubameyang for us, I'm afraid; especially not with the money we're focusing on the stadium. I think you're right in that the Bale money was mostly misspent, although we did get Eriksen, Lamela out of it. Who could have predicted that a prolific striker like Soldado would not work out in England, eh? Ah well. I did like him; he worked hard for the team, and had some family tragedy behind the scenes.

So yeah, we're probably going to have to stick to team spirit and young diamonds as our weapons for a bit longer, until we can start pulling in gate revenues from the new stadium to help us keep up over the long haul.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago

Then why not target for more suitable strikers. Kane still amazing and I hope he would stay there for long, but. Your young diamons need more profilic and experience ones to guide them, right?

We are fighting with you for the 4th so I wish your team would screw up big time, but Spur is one of those clubs that deserve atmost respect in regard to English players club and still among the top

12 163

@Lodatz Sorry to say but I never rated Soldado though. I just saw him as a Real outcast who will never become a star player. Yeah, you guys got Eriksen and Lamela but Eriksen was bought as a young player (not a superstar). At that time, I felt like they should've spent Bale money on 2-3 star players instead of buying 7-8 players. It was 105 millions pound for 7 players. What if they bought the players like Ozil, Sanchez, Fabregas? With current squad + these 2-3 star players would make Spurs deadly or probably win title last season. I'm serious.

@tuan Another problem with spurs is they are selling team (no offense to Lodatz). I don't think Alli and Kane will stay longer. If they lose these players, it will become much more difficult for them to gain top 4 status.

• History

@Lodatz Sorry to say but I never rated Soldado though. I just saw him as a Real outcast who will never become a star player. Yeah, you guys got Eriksen and Lamela but Eriksen was bought as a young player (not a superstar). At that time, I felt like they should've spent Bale money on 2-3 star players instead of buying 7-8 players. It was 105 millions pound for 7 players. What if they bought the players like Ozil, Sanchez, Fabregas? With current squad + these 2-3 star players would make Spurs deadly or probably win title last season. I'm serious.

Then why not target for more suitable strikers.

God I wish I knew the answer to that. :p We keep waiting every transfer window for another top-class striker to help Kane out. I'm still hoping Janssen will come good though. He was dynamite in the Eredivisie, after all.

Cheers for the respect. :) FWIW, I think United are going to be very, very strong this second half of the season. Mourinho has a point to prove.

• History

Then why not target for more suitable strikers.

God I wish I knew the answer to that. :p We keep waiting eveyr transfer window for another top-class striker to help Kane out. I'm still hoping Jansenn will come good though. He was dynamite in the Eredivisie, after all.

Cheers for the respect. :) FWIW, I think United are going to be very, very strong this second half of the season. Mourinho has a point to prove.

@tuan Another problem with spurs is they are selling team (no offense to Lodatz). I don't think Alli and Kane will stay longer. If they lose these players, it will become much more difficult for them to gain top 4 status.

Well, you see, that's one of those things which a lot of people say, but is not really true. For example: over the last 11 years since we were forced to sell Michael Carrick for 18m, we've actually only been forced to sell 3 other times. With Berbatov (30m) in 2008, with Modric (32m) in 2012, and with Bale (85m) in 2013.

So, in those 11 years, we've only sold 4 of our top players, and each one forced a move out the door. And each time, Levy got good money for them (especially in the case of Bale!). Think about it: 165m for 4 players.

We're not really a 'selling' club. We were just too small to stop our very best from leaving.

Hopefully we're changing that. :) Pochettino has fostered such a wonderful team spirit among these boys. Youngest in the league, don't forget.

• History

Well, you see, that's one of those things which a lot of people say, but is not really true. For example: over the last 11 years since we were forced to sell Michael Carrick for 18m, we've actually only been forced to sell 3 other times. With Berbatov (30m) in 2008, with Modric (32m) in 2012, and with Bale (85m) in 2013.

So, in those 11 years, we've only sold 4 of our top players, and each one forced a move out the door. And each time, Levy got good money for them (especially in the case of Bale!). Think about it: 165m for 4 players.

We're not really a 'selling' club. We were just too small to stop our very best from leaving.

Hopefully we're changing that. :)

kyoekyar 7 years ago
12 163

I really hope Spurs finish above Arsenal and steal the UCL spot from them who doesn't have any intention to win UCL. It's a pain to see a team with no intention to win it in UCL sigh :(

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@kyokyar Well, as I alway said, its not the lack of ambition, its the lack of consistence who screw Arsenal in the CL. Of course they want to win it. Not a team doesn't want it. But I agree they often seem like they are not giving it their all. My opinion anyway. :S

tuan_jinn 7 years ago

@tiki: stop picking on @Lodatz lolz. What the actuall hell?

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

This is completely off topic quintero.

In addition, your reasoning is wrong, but if you want to have this discussion, make a thread.

quintero_7bizzy 7 years ago
Manchester City, England 1 4

that is why I said it's off topic. im sorry

tuan_jinn 7 years ago

Saw that you have edited to just some msg, it's ok, :D I will remove it

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Thanks for that one! Lol, I don't like Poch, only because he is so good!!!