Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Why is showboating heavily criticized?
the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

I don't really understand the deep culture in la liga and spain, but it seems like the players and the people as majority doesn't approve showboating. it's funny how sterling and mata's incident (manchester derby) has brought me to open this issue, and the fact that the culture has been going on from years. probably influenced from south america, neymar did it many times, notably against bilbao, where there are much confrontations. However, ronaldinho did it too but he didn't receive the similar reaction. so what's the level of acceptance? what's the point of football match? is it not for entertainment?

Comments
iHEARTfootball 5 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

I saw the incident, didn't see what was wrong with it. I'm guessing it's only because it's Raheem Sterling that was showboating, but this is honestly something that shouldn't deserve any spotlight whatsoever. Mata was only frustrated because of the time wasted, that's all.

The level of acceptance, in my opinion, would be dependant on when the showboating happens during the game. If it's done during injury time, that's bad manners to me. But then again, who doesn't do this? What happens the most is the scoreboard. If Sterling had done this in a game where City are behind, then that's a different story. For as long it raises their chances of winning the game, they can do whatever the hell they want.

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

I remember a story about Victor Moses doing this ^^ to a goalkeeper when he was playing u12's. He would score all their goals. One day he did this ^ to a GoalKeeper from the opposite team. The boy started crying and his mum came on the field and started hitting Moses with her handbag to get him to stop before he scored.

showboating is Ego. Thinking you are better than everyone else.

Knowing you have talent without the need to showboat, but showing respect is humility.

I think your question is the core difference why people like Messi or Ronaldo.

the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

@ledley lol, that's some story, maybe you're right about ego, I think neymar could have learn to hold his ego if he stays at barcelona for 2 more years, but then again who knows. ronaldinho is obviously the role model to brazilian players. with that being said, ronaldo met the right coach Sir Alex, I could imagine if it was other manager he would end up being a showpony.

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

It is a fine line between showmanship and being disrespectful. That line is different for many so it is easily crossed. I know I have my own line in the sand and should you cross it, I will let you know about it. haha Common sense plays a big role and that there is a time and place for everything.

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

Do that to me and I swear I will charge double-footed at your knees.
Its a total disrespect, it happened to my once and I tackled instantly the other lad. In the heat of the moment you don't know what can happen when someone pretty much shatters your ego by making fun of you in a public stadium. (A important game defeat or a total humiliating scoreboard etc can make it even worse)

Ronaldinho as mentioned above tho, I don't know how to exactly describe it but he might have been the only person that I would not tackle, he was so cheerful, always with a smile guy so... I guess thats why

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@Joze I get where you're coming from but that might be a bit too excessive of a reaction. In a proffessional game, that kind of action would earn you a lot trouble no doubt. Still, I propably would be tempted to do the same if it happened to me, so I'm not the best one to argue.

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

@Emobo7 I grew up idolizing Gattuso and Makelele mate, if you give me that smirk or some nasty trick laughing expect me to answer.

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I like it as a neutral. If the player was at Arsenal, I guess I wouldn't mind unless he overdoes it for no reason.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@Joze Lol! +1

@amir Agreed.

SunFlash 5 years ago
USA 19 3260

There is a perception that showboating implies that beating the other side was so easy that the showboater is no longer trying, or being cute as opposed to being effective. Neymar could just beat a defender for pace, but if he showboats the poor guy's pants down, it is perceived as being insulting to the player.

It's basically going an extra level to denigrate your opposition. It's absolutely disrespectful, but in some cases that's okay. If I'm watching USA vs Mexico, for example, I'd be shocked to see respect.

Greatone 5 years ago
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

different reasons to dislike it, the reason juan mata got pissed was because he was on the receiving end after a loss, it never feels good and its basically the feeling of butthurt (im talking from experience)

pep didn't like it because of the way his teams play, showboating can not and will not be a part of his philosophy because in his tactics, it works against the movement of the ball

in england, showboating is still enjoyed, regardless of what people say, but in a different way, people will still go OLE when their team is humiliating another team, but when it happens against them its a lack of respect, the pundits love to harrass people for showboating, it brings out negative emotions, and thats what makes them money.

in most countries its known as being less effective but entertaining to a certain point, ridiculous shit like what they did in south africa would get booed in most countries

Lord_Bendtner 5 years ago
Denmark 1 296

Lord says: It depends on the situation. Its disrespecting doing it last minute when you are winning 5-0. Thats like saying TOO EASY!

Greatone 5 years ago

inversely @lord, thats also the only time that showboating should be done, because if you aren't winning by a large margin, showboating is useless, dangerous and dumb

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Lord Bendtner aren’t you sentenced to do some hard time in jail ?

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@Ledley Law are for us mere mortals, the lord don't need to worry himself with such trivial matters!

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Actually, humiliating your rival for building action purpose is completely different than showboating in injury time with 5-0 lead.
Some players do that at 0-0 and first half like Ronaldinho so rivals accept. But at 90th minute it’s not really fair play. Spanish do not like that at all, once you secure the result there is no need to make things worse for a player or a coach.

Greatone 5 years ago

there is no actually. this is an opinion based question, unless you come back with some actual research this is all opinion.