Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Why does ESPN suck?
Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Seriously, watching the ESPN coverage of the Malaga/Barcelona game is like an exercise in face-palming. The Irish guy seems to think that every stride taken by Barca is an example of footballing perfection, and that any save made is 'world-class'. Even when they're routine.

Hell I even heard him say that the Malaga goal was of a very rare kind; "it's very rare that you see a striker take the shot as part of his stride, that's a very rare thing", apparently. I guess he doesn't watch much of the football from northern Europe...

Alas, I wish I could watch it in Spanish or Portuguese, but I can't understand their commentators. :/

Though why does ESPN feel the need to get a virtual comedian to make the game more exciting for an American audience? Why don't they just get in tactical analysts from Europe who can explain to the audience what is actually going on, rather than just shouting: "Oooh, a shot/pass from the heavens!" every time someone actually plays the ball? Doesn't it want to not suck?

I don't get it.

Comments
raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

This is why I watch it in Spanish. Bilingual is a benefit my friend. But I would prefer tactial coverage instead of stating what I see. It would be nice. 

Lodatz 11 years ago

Tis true; I admire those who know more than one language. Wish I'd realized that in school, when I had the chance to learn them. ;p

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz By any chance are you listening to commentating from Ray Hudson and Phil Schoen? These guys are great commentators. They used to work under GolTV, but now work for BEIN, and they prefer to commentate Spanish matches. These guys know inside out about Spain, and are great commentators. :)

Lodatz 11 years ago

I dunno; which one of them is the Irishman whose commentary seems to consist of old folk sayings and a bottomless pit of adoration for anyone who manages to actually do their job on the pitch? ;)

They may be entertaining, but goodness me, you'd think each match was the pinnacle of football; even when they're full of a lot of mainly average football, such as this one. There have been some flashes of genius from Barca, and Malaga's goal was well-worked, but, aside from that, pretty dreary. :/

However, with these two wittering on, I can begin to see why some folks get such a misguided perception of quality.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

The Irishman with the hoarse voice? I believe that's Ray Hudson? But I'm listening to their commentating on BEIN atm, so I think you're listening to different commentators.

Lodatz 11 years ago

Like, just now, when Messi was passed the ball from right midfield, gives it a little dink to fool two of the defenders, gets ready to line up a shot, and the third defender steps in and knocks it away before Messi can pull the trigger. It was a good move that came up against good defending, and the defense won. Nice moment.

But to ESPN? That was simply "amazing" play by Messi, showcasing why he is the best player int he world, and an example of how beautiful the game can be, denied only at the last by an unkind twist of fate...

Not a word about how good the defending was, and that making the difference to this 'amazing' move which resulted in nothing more than a throw-in. 

I just fear that they've been told to make it all sound exciting, for a US audience that doesn't understand the game.

(and, just as I finish typing, there's an awesome equalizer from Malaga, so that was awesome anyway)

Lodatz 11 years ago

LOL. And now that goal is "perfection". I wonder if we'll be seeing it as an entry for the Puskas Award. :p

Lodatz 11 years ago

And I'm watching BEIN, yeah. Sorry, I got confused cause there's an ESPN logo in the top corner, but the commercials breaks are for BEIN, so, I guess I'm watching the same as you. ;)

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

Do you guys stream? If so, I highly recommend SopCast plus Wiziwig. It's like watching on a quality HD TV. I'm serious.

Lodatz 11 years ago

LOL. Barcelona's 3rd goal was "witch-craft", apparently, "bamboozling" the defenders with its incredibleness. ;P

It was a really good goal, certainly. But then, that's what Barcelona are good at. Or, as Ray put it: "they've climbed to the summit of Mount Olympus!" and "Messi found his way through steel!"

It is entertaining, I agree. Just not terribly good analysis. ;)

Lodatz 11 years ago

I use VIPbox, Golden. I'll check that out though. Thanks for the tip :)

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

Lodatz, check out my tip. You will be incredibly surprised to see the result. Comparing SopCast to VipBox... Well, it's two completely different worlds.

Bolvack 11 years ago
Barcelona 3 152

I don't know about the English ESPN commentators, but the ones who commentate on spanish, Fernando Palomo and some others, I think they are great, my favorite to be honest. If someone here is from South America will know.

If you can you should really learn spanish, I think the best commentators are either from Argentina, or Spain.  

MKdons 11 years ago
Levante UD, England 0 22

Americans.. lol