Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Who will replace Wenger?
_Pelle_ 6 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6871

I know there's already been a topic about Wenger quitting posted... but I would like to have a thread about his successors.

Who do you think will replace Wenger?

Comments
_Pelle_ 6 years ago

The best ones in my opinion would be either Jardim or Vieira

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

The market for managers is awful right now.

Rafa would be my best bet.

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Tuchel or Jardim are probably two coaches that would have best chance at continuing his legacy, maybe Marco Silva too.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Croatian Tuchel to PSG is pretty much official though. I agree about Silva and Jardim even though Jardim will fit Arsenal even more becaue imo because he is used to build team with lots of young player.

@Sunflash I guess thats true but I kind of wish to see what happen if he stay at Newcastle, especially now that the takeover is potentially back on program.

I'm kind of suprised not to see anyone thinking of Laurent Blanc, he know the PL a bit from his time at United, he is French and is used to play with big profile team because of his time at PSG. Joachim Low might also be interested by the job after the WC and Allegri might be tempted to take on the job. The two of them said they could be interested anyway.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

I wish arsenal keeps their identity "play the arsenal way", just because the clubs have been underperforming does not mean that you give up on playing beautiful attacking football. leonrdo jardim is a good shout since he is from monaco, almost pretty much like wenger himself. if I have a choice, off course it would be the wc winners, joachim loew, he knows how to play fast paced attacking football, like klopp. It's still a shock for everyone at the timing, many can say wenger out or in but deep down everyone has a great memory about him. kudos to arsene, ferguson still consider him a formidable rival, hope he can enjoy his retirement far away from criticism.

_Pelle_ 6 years ago

@Croatian: Don't you think it is better for Arsenal to choose another direction instead of continuing in Wengers footsteps?

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

@pelle, I don't mind as long as arsenal playing style don't change to mourinho's football.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@thebaldgenius I really hope the board would be smart enough to target a manager who is known for his attacking style football. After all, Arsenal should remain at very least a team which is enjoyable to watch.

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Ancelotti
Enrique
Blanc
Jardín
Rodgers

Are all possible replacements

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

The shortlist is known : Ancelotti - Vieira - Henry - Arteta.
Tuchel is promised to PSG, but it doesn’t happen then he can come.

I would want Ancelotti if it was me.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

I'm not really convinced by the idea of Arteta or Henry, those guy lack a bit of experience. Vieira got more but he haven't exactly won anything yet even though his team is getting better. Ancelotti make no sense for me, not really compatible with the team philosophy and he has history with Chelsea, would be weird for him to play against them as a rival. Jardim and Blanc would fit more as they got some similitude to Wenger on a few point. I don't really trust Rodgers, for me, he dissapointed a bit with Liverpool as for Enrique, I still think this guy was a success at Barca mostly because of his experience with the club and the fact he inherited a winning team.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I'm not really convinced by the idea of Arteta or Henry, those guy lack a bit of experience. Vieira got more but he haven't exactly won anything yet even though he is better. Ancelotti make no sense for me, no compatible with the team philosophy. Jardin and Blanc would fit more as they got some similitude to Wenger on a few point. I don't really trust Rodgers, for me, he dissapointed a bit with Liverpool as for Enrique, I still think this guy was a success at Barca mostly because of his experience with the club and the fact he inherited a winning team.

I'm not really convinced by the idea of Arteta or Henry, those guy lack a bit of experience. Vieira got more but he haven't exactly won anything yet even though his team is getting better. Ancelotti make no sense for me, no compatible with the team philosophy. Jardin and Blanc would fit more as they got some similitude to Wenger on a few point. I don't really trust Rodgers, for me, he dissapointed a bit with Liverpool as for Enrique, I still think this guy was a success at Barca mostly because of his experience with the club and the fact he inherited a winning team.

I'm not really convinced by the idea of Arteta or Henry, those guy lack a bit of experience. Vieira got more but he haven't exactly won anything yet even though his team is getting better. Ancelotti make no sense for me, not compatible with the team philosophy. Jardin and Blanc would fit more as they got some similitude to Wenger on a few point. I don't really trust Rodgers, for me, he dissapointed a bit with Liverpool as for Enrique, I still think this guy was a success at Barca mostly because of his experience with the club and the fact he inherited a winning team.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Jardim and Blanc aren’t part of their shortlist. Jardim is not even on the market.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago Edited
10 1583

@emo you're right bringing in henry or arteta is a risky change.

@tiki it's sad if jardim isn't in the market, he has a very wenger like background.

Maybe I can be bias by nationality but I think a german background coach like nagelsmann, loew or even favre is more preferrable considering the squad. arsenal has a lot of players from bundesliga in their starting line up: xhaka, ozil, mkhitaryan, aubameyang, kolasinac, mustafi. minimize the change of squad if possible, it takes a lot of effort and negotiations to remove and add squad. if it takes 2 season for pep to make the squad play his style, I don't know how much time needed for arsenal. I think there is that aspect to consider as well. how patient can the fans be with the new manager? are we hiring for short term? this is also a proving point whether the downfall is entirely wenger's fault or the board's not supporting him enough?

• History

@emo you're right bringing in henry or arteta is a risky change.

@tiki it's sad if jardim isn't in the market, he has a very wenger like background.

Maybe I can be bias by nationality but I think a german background coach like nagelsmann, loew or even favre is more preferrable considering the squad. arsenal has a lot of players from bundesliga in their starting line up: xhaka, ozil, mkhitaryan, aubameyang, kolasinac, mustafi. minimize the change of squad if possible, it takes a lot of effort and negotiations to remove and add squad. if it takes 2 season for pep to make the squad play his style, I don't know how much time needed for arsenal. I think there is that aspect to consider as well. how patient can the fans be with the new manager? are we hiring for short term?

Aiden_Finland 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Finland 18 1236

Massimiliano Allegri would be suitable for Arsenal as he is a smart manager IMO. Luis Enrique could possibly be another potential but Allegri might be the best option.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@tiki I was answering to both you and rai comment, by the way tiki, why don't you share your source for their shortlist, I searched on the web and I can't find it. :(

@thebaldgenius One thing for sure, next season will be a turning point for Arsenal and it will be quite interesting to see what get out from it.

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

@Pelle, what I meant by continuing his legacy is having attractive offensive football like he had through his whole career. Of course they may wanna go for safer option like Allegri or Conte or any other manager who likes to play it safe but IMO Jardim is the best guy for the job. It'll be hard to get him from Monaco though.

@tiki, although not mentioned in the news even a little, Sarri could leave Napoli although main links are to Chelsea. He also has some sort of relause clause, don't know will Arsenal focus on him.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Source from l’ équipe journalist specialized in PL, from the same guy I heard that Henry-Wenger relationship has deteriorated a lot due to Henry criticism as a pundit, plus he knew Henry wanted his place...
Wenger will back Vieira who supported him by saying that players are also responsible and should look to the mirror. Problem is that Vieira is indirectly under contract with Man City...
Don’t know is there is an article about it, but the guy is not a clown, more reliable a simple article.

That being said, it’s not very class from Henry who while asked about Getting the job he answered it’s a question you should ask to Gatzidis.

Wenger started Henry at 17 yo at Monaco, then Wenger went to Japan and Henry was struggling at Juve being benched. He made him come to Arsenal and made him what he is now. Wenger made Henry not the opposite. As a pundit even if it’s complicated to defend Arsène at times Henry should have stayed loyal...
The option Arteta is not to be thrown away, he is surprisedly very appreciated in London, but then City should let him go.
@bald LucienFavre ? He is Swiss. I don’t rate him high enough to take a top 6 club, midtable PL at best.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

@tiki Well, if he get a chance of being a manager himself, I see no reason why Arteta wouldn't chose to go, especially if he feel ready. City definetly couldn't offer him that so I think it would be fair if they let him leave if Arsenal really came for him.

• History

@tiki Well, if he get a chance of being a manager himself, I see no reason why he wouldn't chose to go, especially if he feel ready. City definetly couldn't offer him that so I think it would be fair if they let him leave if Arsenal really came for him.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Yep but he has never managed before, being Pep assistant for a season doesn’t seem enough imo. Even Vieira with his US experience. Blanc would have been a great choice. Or Ancelotti who said he was interested in coaching in PL, Chelsea or Arsenal are the only available options and both would win from his arrival. Club said he wanted to keep Arsène philosophy but I don’t see them signing another French.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@tiki Yeah, I get what your saying. Like I said, I'm not too much of a fan of the idea of seeing Carlos at Arsenal, but if its between him and the 3 other (Vieira, Henry and Arteta) who all have too little experience to manage at that level, he might still be the best solution for Arsenal. :( On the other hand, if Vieira came and managed Arsenal, he would be one of the first black manager in Europe to manage at such a level. That would be quite something in itself. :D