Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Whats wrong with Bayern?
Emobot7 2 years ago Edited
538 11426

So basically, Bayern used to be one of the most proffesional team in europe, seeing long term stay from a lot of their key player, but recently thing hasn't been the same in Munich.

They first sold long time player Thiago in 2020 to Liverpool after the CL win but that wasn't that much of a big deal since every party involved seemed quite happy.

However, after that, they went and lost Alaba on a free as they failed to agree on new contract term, especially because of demande that were deemed exagerated.

Now this season, they are losing Niklas Sule on a free to direct rival BVB and Tolisso, that they won't renew despite him being a record transfer at the time.

And worse even, their best attacking player in the last decade, Robert Lewandoski, is asking to leave in a manner that won't make it easy for Bayern to get the best price for him.

Also heard rumours of Serge Gnabry not being able to agree on a new deal which could see him leaving the club next year.

Thought on the whole thing? Do you guys think its related to Covid and Bayern are less stable financially than they used to be? Or maybe some change in management happened and the players don't like it?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So basically, Bayern went from being one of the most proffesional team in europe, seeing long term stay from a lot of their key player, but recently thing hasn't been the same in Munich.

They first sold long time player Thiago in 2020 to Liverpool after the CL win but that wasn't that much of a big deal since every party involved seemed quite happy.

However, after that, they went and lost Alaba on a free as they failed to agree on new contract term, especially because of demande that were deemed exagerated.

Now this season, they are losing Niklas Sule on a free to direct rival BVB and Tolisso, that they won't renew despite him being a record transfer at the time.

And worse even, their best attacking player in the last decade, Robert Lewandoski, is asking to leave in a manner that won't make it easy for Bayern to get the best price for him.

Also heard rumours of Serge Gnabry not being able to agree on a new deal which could see him leaving the club next year.

Thought on the whole thing? Do you guys think its related to Covid and Bayern are less stable financially than they used to be? Or maybe some change in management happened and the players don't like it?

Comments
SunFlash 2 years ago
USA 19 3260

Bayern are entirely stable financially, it's public record. I'm not an expert on the Bundesliga but nothing seems wrong to me.

Alaba demanded a ridiculous wage and Real stepped in to provide it. Bayern didn't seem too bothered. Sule has been underwhelming for them, considering he was seen as the Hummels replacement, which he hasn't lived up to. Thiago, as you noted, everyone seemed happy with.

Lewy is different, as Bayern obviously want to keep him and have made that known. He has made known that he does not want to stay. End of the day though, as amazing as Lewy has been, man is old and doesn't have more than one or two good years left in all likelihood.

The reason why Bayern has never competed with the Spanish giants with regard to top non-German players is because they refuse to offer premier wages. That hasn't changed and speaks to their good administrative management. While certain players have held out for "stupid" wages and rewarded their clubs for providing them (Messi is an excellent example with Barca), the far more likely outcome is that the player on their last major contract inevitably declines and the club is stuck paying through the nose for a player who isn't performing. Ozil at Arsenal, Pique at Barca, Sanchez at United, etc. While all excellent players that no doubt at somepoint merited that wage, end of the day it is cheaper and oftentimes more effective to let that player go and find a replacement, something which Bayern have always done admirably.

The only player I can think of who they probably seriously regret letting go is Toni Kroos.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash Eh, fair enough, still think the club been changing a lot in recent years comparing to the last decade where they were very discreet but effective on the transfert market.

Tolisso flopping despite pricetag was not something I expected to see at a club like Bayern who generally alway is very proffesional in how they recruit player.

Also, the fact Lewandoski wanna leave, I can understand to a certain level but the way he is trying to leave is gonna leave a mark on his legacy at the club.

It just a case where I felt that Bayern was a club that was very good at inter management and stayed clear of failure or controversy and it feeling like they straying farther and farther away from this reputation right now.

SunFlash 2 years ago
USA 19 3260

Bayern has had some trouble with midfielders. Renato Sanches and Tolisso came for big money and didn't perform, but that was somewhat offset by Kimmich moving to midfield.

They tend to make low-publicity moves (particularly signing low reputation, high potential players from the German league). Like they signed Upamecano and Gravenberch so efficiently and without drama there's a good bet half this forum doesn't even realize it's happened. Two of the highest rated young players in the world for under market value straight into the team with no fuss.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11426

Like they signed Upamecano and Gravenberch so efficiently and without drama there's a good bet half this forum doesn't even realize it's happened. Two of the highest rated young players in the world for under market value straight into the team with no fuss.

Well, I knew about those two signings, I can even tell you Bayern signed Mazraoui on a free which also a pretty smooth move. Can't say I've seen much of those 3 play last season though so I couldn't tell personally how good those move were. But yeah, guess I can't say Bayern has much problem reinforcing themselve.

Its more like a feeling of them getting in small controverse regarding the players running out their contract and leaving on a free or those wanting to leave suddenly.

Like, considering what they payed for Sule and Tolisso, you'd expect them to try and sell them off if possible and get back a bit of money for them.

As for Lewandoski, who despite sometime act a bit like a diva, I cannot see him acting the way he did with Bayern unless he'd feel they seriously mishandled his situation.

Algerino 2 years ago
Napoli, Algeria 6 844

Anything bad happening for bayern munich is something good happening for bundesliga. They have to do something. No one is interested in that league except for the germans. And maybe not even the germans are.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11426

@Algerino I kinda agree, Bundesliga has become somewhat of the most boring top 5 league in term of league winner but still, I cannot find it completely boring just because of the exciting football proposed by most of the team there. Theres also a lots of inconsistency from a season to the next among the other teams from the top 3. There some epic story-telling from time to time as well, look at Schalke 04, getting relegated very badly last season and being promoted right back this year.