Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Wenger's Uncharacteristically Scathing Comments...
Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

VIA ESPN:
"We gave an easy game away and I am angry," Wenger, who celebrated
his 63rd birthday on Monday, said. "In the end, Norwich gave us a good
lesson, but it is one I would rather not have.

"They wanted the
win more than us, showed more desire and it is hard for me to admit
that. Too many lessons like this and you stand at the end of the season
with too many regrets."

He added: "The gap is very unpleasant. We
had an opportunity that Tottenham could win and we could win, and we
both lost. That of course makes the gap a lot bigger.

"You cannot
say you do not worry about that, but what is more disappointing is that
we could not score. After we went 1-0 down we had the ball for 70
minutes and could not score a goal."

Wenger was asked after the
game whether he could look to sign a striker in the January transfer
window, following a lack of firepower demonstrated against Norwich.

He
said: "I cannot answer that question now. We did not create enough
against Norwich, that is for sure, but we have players coming back and
have to assess how things are progressing in January before making
decisions.

"There are far too many players who are below what is
required in the Premier League, and the players weren't at their best in
terms of their concentration or commitment. We have to face the
reality."

Now, I don't know about you all but I cannot remember the last time Wenger was this open to the press with his criticism. I have to say it is quite refreshing not to hear him deflect public blame with some vaguely worded constructive criticism. He seemed mighty pissed (and rightly so... they were absolute shit). Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Comments
Trollman 12 years ago
Chelsea, Egypt 32 525

I don't mind him complaining and getting angry with the team. They really should have scored. My one problem is when he believed Tottenham could beat Chelsea?

No offense Tottenham fans, AVB really made the team challenge Chelsea. But in no way could Tottenham beat us. We were more dominant and that's what I believe.

ikoiko 12 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

It's the same old story over and over with Arsenal. It was only a matter of time before Wenger lost his composure, and this is pretty mild stuff.
I also want to state why in the hell is Gervinho starting games instead of Walcott?
Why is Andre Santos even an option?

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

@Ikoiko:
1 - This isn't mild stuff for Wenger. He is renowned for never publicly criticizing his players even if he's seething inside.
2- Walcott is still injured from the karate kick he received against San Marino. Secondly, Gervinho is not a great winger but he has done well centrally.
3 - Gibbs is injured so Santos filled in. I think he needs a run of games before he sharpens up his defensive side. Remember last year... he was terrble for the first few games and then became consistently good before he got crocked.

ikoiko 12 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

I didn't know Walcott was injured... Even then, I believe Chamberlain has tons more merit to start games than Gervinho.
 I don't think Andre Santos has improved at all, really. He's Tactically unaware and defends like a mad man. During the game against Norwich, he would completely abandon his position in the back, rocket right into the midfield, and have no sort of direction with his attack. Not only did he lose the ball profusely, but he would leave his post wide open for counter-attacks.
The Norwich game was a run of bad luck as well with Chambo getting hurt right from the get go.
Was Koscielny on the bench, or is he hurt too?