Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Virgil Van Dijk injury and what it mean for Liverpool
Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11426

So you might have heard that Virgil van Dijk had ruptured his ACL in the game against Everton. As you know, I'm not really that well educated in biology but apparently, this kind of injury take around 6-8 months to recover from after the operation.

We all know this is a big blow to Liverpool, Van Dijk has been one of their standout player in their two last season and I truly fear thing might not go as smoothly as they did before just because of that loss.

What do you think though? Does this injury mean Liverpool won't be able to compete for the title anymore? Do you think it might level the playing field between the reds and their rivals? Share your thought bellow!

Comments
srk_rox 3 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

I won't be surprised if Liverpool finishes in 5th or 6th. Players don't look too serious to win anything. Probably, they are sulking inside for lack of vacation time as there were no season break. I will be happy to be proven wrong. But, things don't look so rosy at all.

Regarding Van Dijk, our defense will be screwed without him. Joe Gomez and Alexander-Arnold are so prone to make mistakes. And then you have Adrian.

I am so horrified by his injury. I will pray for his recovery. I don't mind even if he is ruled out for the rest of the season. He needs to recover from his injury. I am always suspicious of surgeries because there is always a risk of surgery complications that depends on the effectiveness of the surgeon and Van Dijk.

DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

This is a big blow, and if Klopp can't figure out a way to solidify his backline without sacrificing the team's playstyle, they will surely struggle to retain their title. Van Dijk gave their outside backs more freedom to attack and if that center role cant be filled competently, those backs will have to stay home more.

As for the injury, all surgery is a risk but medically they have come a long way. I don't see him returning for the season, but if he is smart on rehab, after successful surgery, I can see him returning to high levels.

2020 strikes again!

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11426

2020 hasn't been all bad for Liverpool but lets be honest, its hasn't been so good either. Between failing to beat quite a few record they were set to break, being unable to win the title with their fan watching them week in and out and now this injury, its hard to see things completely positive for them.

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

apart from Arsenal game(of course) Liverpool players look kinda unmotivated, except Mane .however, Alisson is surely huge miss too atm, Adrian is probably making whole teamlook much worse and Liverpoool will probably look for a 2nd gk & cb in January.

srk_rox 3 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

@darth
I have heard a lot of stories how even a small oversight and the surgeon ends up cutting the most important vein, and stuffs like that. There are numerous stories going around how the patients wanted to have the surgery for a better life but ended up with a spoiled life because of complications. These patients later repented for taking the surgery route and for not trying out a conservative treatment.

Are all these stories quoted out of context ? Because sports injuries have a far lesser risks of complications compared to the surgical procedures done by normal Joe?

DarthFooty 3 years ago

@SRK_ROX
There is and always will be a risk for any surgery and any right mind will weigh options. I do know that medical science has come a long way, but still has so much to learn.

From an athlete's perspective, one wrong move in the surgery could end a career. Heck even if the surgery went perfectly, the body could reject the work and cause issues.

But, and this is speaking from experience when faced with a choice to have surgery to repair a problem to get back to playing again, over not ever playing or not playing at a high level again without recourse, most athletes will choose for surgery.

Take a look at Alex Smith, NFL Quarterback. He shattered his leg in a game and had to have multiple surgeries. Thing is, it went VERY bad and he almost died AFTER the initial surgery. They had to regraph, pin, lock, and sculpt, just to give him enough to be able to walk "normal" again, to not lose the leg. Turns out, he is now back in the NFL as an active player. Humbling, scary story, and very real for anyone. He chose to do it because that was his life, his passion.

I hope we see Van Dijk play like he did before the injury. Some stats are against him, but you never know.

srk_rox 3 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

@Darthy Thanks for your reply. Very interesting story. Scary at the same time Surprised to hear that players would do anything for their lives and passion.

srk_rox 3 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

@Darthy May I know what do you mean by some stats are against him? I think he is performing some surgeries on his knees if I am right. Are you referring to any stat that talks about the success percentage of the knee surgeries?

P.S. I love your insights. They have a great clarity

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11426

May I know what do you mean by some stats are against him?

I'm not quite as knowledgeable as DarthFooty but honestly, I would think what he meant is that generally, players who come back from injury like that usually don't manage to return exactly at the same level they used to. If I'm wrong though, don't worry about correcting me, I agree with srk_rox, DarthFooty insights are great. :D

amir_keal 3 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

They're still winning the league for me

DarthFooty 3 years ago

Please dont take anything I say as fact! Much of what I know is based on experience and study, but medical science has come a long way since I was in school, plus I totally lack the time to dig for exact percentages or posting sources. I am a bit older and just dont use social media the same way many do. haha

I do thank you both for the compliment, though!

For Virgil, based on experience, and some reading of past works, returning to the exact same level the player was at after a significant injury like this (ACL, MCL, Achilles, and other injuries that involve muscle, tendons, fibers) is not a favorable certainty. However optimistic, many will say his chances of being back to the old self is not a vegas winner bet.

Now, with how much medical science has come along, surgeries are better and better, rehabs are smarter and players that follow everything, do have a good chance to get back to their best.

Things you have to factor is age, type of injury, the rehab, and the player's body structure. I cracked the Iliac Spine when younger from getting kicked dribbling past a defender. No surgery needed, thankfully, and I was young enough that my body did the rebuild along with what the doctors did. I also built up the area around the injury more, so sort of became stronger because of it.

Injuries that involve muscle fibers, well, they tend to play with speed, power, flexibility. That's why many, especially those a bit older, lose those traits after an injury.

srk_rox 3 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

Lol.. What was I thinking when I asked you about it. All of a sudden, the world is recently so overwhelmed with data collection and statistics. I kind of missed the point that what you were saying could actually be anecdotal.

Probably, I read more into the casual comment as I am a concerned Liverpool fan and I am genuinely concerned with the recovery of VVD.

The last time someone said 'Stats are against you', they would try to scare the shit out of me. lol

DarthFooty 3 years ago

I did go to school for Kinesiology, but nowhere am I qualified to diagnose or provide better guidance than a medical professional.

As for VVD, I think he is a smart guy, someone who will take his rehab seriously and not rush back. That will help.

You still have the team to beat in the league, granted you do now need a true center back, but you have quality all over the pitch.