Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

VAR plus wild celebrations.. what could go wrong?
Greatone 6 years ago
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

So I have a hypothetical question, I don't know if it has happened before, but what happens if...

a player scores a goal, celebrates wildly, like its the last minute, takes off his shirt (you know, the normal reaction to scoring the winner in the last minute)... and then VAR is used and the goal is annulled.

What I think makes logical sense is that the player doesn't get a yellow card since, if the referee had blown his whistle before he scored a goal, then obviously the player wouldn't of taken off his shirt as he wouldn't be celebrating.

However what I think will happen is the player gets a yellow card regardless of how shitty the referee is (shitty because he doesn't have superhuman eyes and catches something or shitty because shitty) just because regardless of VAR he shouldn't of taken off his shirt..

I want to know what footyroom thinks will happen

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

Huh, thats actually a good question, I suppose the by-the-book thing to do would be to book the player no mater what but maybe it will depend on the ref. Interesting point to bring up though. :)

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Pretty sure something like this happened to Chile on the confederations cup. Twice I believe. They scored celebrated and then the ref cancelled the goal cus of VAR.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@raimondo But did the ref give yellow card?

Eden17Hazard17 6 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Imagine if they started analysing the celebrations through VAR to see if you did make contact with the crowd and do indeed deserve a yellow card :P