Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

VAR in FiFA WC 2018
_Pelle_ 6 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6888

So FiFA will use VAR during the world cup.

Pochettino for some reason said the decision is a nightmare... and I couldn't disagree more. We don't want a "hand of god" or controversial situations like the England vs Germany ones from 1966 and 2010 determining the outcome of a game.

It is still relatively new and people should give it some time. But what do you think? Is it good or bad?

Comments
quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I just hope no one will complain about referee decisions if people are against it.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@quikzyyy As long as the ref doesn't clearly make mistake while still using it, then it should be fine. If its controversial and get their team out of the tournament, they might however. Thats how football fan are sadly. :P

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Well VAR just gifted a PK to Italy vs England, the ball was already lost...
But at least it was used fast.

quikzyyy 6 years ago Edited
Arsenal 429 9002

that was a penalty mate, however it should have been retaken

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

that was a penalty mate..

SergioSR4 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Spain 2 719

Var is perfect

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

It was never a Penalty. But VAR can't make referees better if they are just bad at their job. Anyways, VAR might not be perfect but arguing it has negative effects on football is plain ignorance.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Well after today I changed my mind, if VAR could avoid such a last minute robberies and book dives and divers, I’m 100% ok with it.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@tiki Now you know why we want it. Still think they might have well given the pen even after Video Replay though. Sun would propably be better place than to judge that though. :P

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

VAR would have to have proven that Oliver made a mistake. Which he did not. However, there were several instances in the City-Liverpool tie where it would have proved very useful.

Tiki, if this proves nothing else, it proves that when fans/players perceive that a call does not go their way, they beg for VAR, even when previously against it (i.e. Bernardo Silva). That's all people who promote VAR want, a just game, where conning referees and undeserving calls have no place. If you needed to feel hard done by to get to where we were to begin with, then I question your reasoning beforehand.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Well if we are going to see this kind of gifts each time Madrid are in trouble at home, then yes VAR would put pressure on refs. Last year against Bayern, same old story...
Probably commented on the heat of the game, maybe exaggerated but it’s never a penalty. If we start rewarding divers for each slow contact in the money time. Football will turn into diving contest. Which is already the case when Madrid are in trouble.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

the technology is not the problem, the people using and communicating to the refs and the refs are making the issue. maybe if someone wants to be a ref in the future you need to be able to operate the camera's system and take the view on different angle. sometimes bodies hiding the ball doesn't show enough clarity. I don't mind if it takes ages, as long as the decision is spot on with camera proves it's cool. time can be made up with injury time.

SunFlash 6 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

In the Sporting KC-Vancouver game last night an ugly tackle started a mass confrontation between the two teams. Lots of hands into faces. VAR didn't miss anything, 2 Vancouver players got red carded, and several others saw yellows. Vancouver went on to get absolutely railed 6-0.

It took less time for the refs + VAR to sort out who got what then the actual brawl itself, and by all accounts no mistakes were made.

This has two major takeaways for me. First, those saying that VAR cannot be done in a timely manner are just wrong, and second, that because VAR sees all, knows all, mass confrontations like these could be far less common and much less confrontational. 9 men? Vancouver got obliterated, we don't see one-sided scorelines like that in a league founded on parity.

Bodes well for the future of the game imo.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

In the Sporting KC-Vancouver game last night an ugly tackle started a mass confrontation between the two teams. Lots of hands into faces. VAR didn't miss anything, 2 Vancouver players got red carded, and several others saw yellows. Vancouver went on to get absolutely railed 6-0.

It took faster for the refs + VAR to sort out who got what then the actual brawl itself, and by all accounts no mistakes were made.

This has two major takeaways for me. First, those saying that VAR cannot be done in a timely manner are just wrong, and second, that become VAR sees all, knows all, mass confrontations like these could be far less common and much less confrontational. 9 men? Vancouver got obliterated, we don't see one-sided scorelines like that in a league founded on parity.

Bodes well for the future of the game imo.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@Sunflash 100% agreed mate! Really hope to see more stuff like that in Europe!

Tuanis 6 years ago

Didn't the EPL just voted almost anonymously against the implementation in the seasons to come? Makes me wonder what's going on in their heads and I can't help thinking there is some shady business behind it.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@Tuanis Just because PL voted against it, it doesn't mean its wrong or that it will be used in shady manner. Though I agree that with FIFA in command, I wouldn't be suprised to see a bunch of controversy. BTW, here a story about VAR, Buffon was completely against it at first but changed his mind completely after the away leg against Real Madrid. Even though it propably wouldn't have made a difference technically.

Tuanis 6 years ago

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Im stating that the VAR is so useful and such a good tool to be applied in the games that the fact PL voted against it makes me speculate about corrupt intentions; they want to keep it out of their league manage it with ease..

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11435

@Tuanis OH, shit, I'm sorry mate, I thought you meant you thought Fifa was gonna use it for corrupt reason. I read that way too fast. Big sorry for that. :( But yeah, you are right, it is worrisome PL voted against it. Maybe they are just waiting to see more of its usage outside of the country first before implementing its full usage?