Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Van Persie: I will not extend Arsenal deal
ramaboy10 12 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has announced that he
will not be extending his contract at the club.

The prolific forward has been heavily linked with a move away
from the Emirates Stadium with a year left on his current deal.

Van Persie has released a statement on his official website to make it clear
that he will not be remaining at the club beyond his present contract.

"This is an update for the fans about my current situation. I have kept quiet
all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr
Gazidis and Mr Wenger, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I
think it is fair for you guys to know what’s really going on at the moment.

"As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the boss and Mr Gazidis
after the season. This was a meeting about the club’s future strategy and their
policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not
my priority at all.

"I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies
with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days."

He continued: "Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans
I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has
again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC
should move forward.

"I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my
contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view
and decision and I will always respect your opinions.

"I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and
became a man during my time with Arsenal FC," he added.

"Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years
and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch. I am very proud
of being part of this fantastic club for the last eight years.

"As soon as Mr Gazidis is back from his two-week holiday in America further
meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more
developments."

Van Persie scored 37 goals in 48 appearances for Arsenal last season and the
news is likely to prompt interest from a number of big clubs across Europe.

Manchester City and Juventus are among the clubs to have been repeatedly
linked with signing the Dutchman.

source: eurosport

Comments
raimondo90 12 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

sigh.... very bad news... arsenal lose another great player, and captain...

GunnerAFC 12 years ago
Arsenal, England 47 1026

=

ramaboy10 12 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

GunnerAFC 12 years ago
Arsenal, England 47 1026

RVP has been a wonderful player for us and I wish him all the best. I hope a team like Barcelona or Real Madrid capture him. He deserves to be playing at the highest level that there is. Good luck, Robin.

GunnerGo 12 years ago
Arsenal, Venezuela 13 345

Well i think Wenger knew this so he bought Giroud right? players come and go but we will always have Wenger to look for us, thanks for this season RVP you were our shining light when everyone saw us lost, hope you enjoy your next team and i wish you the best. Remember once a Gooner always a gooner.

man_utd 12 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

KSI isn't happy either...

thijsFCB 12 years ago
Barcelona, Netherlands 45 223

It was just a matter of time, Goodbye hero!

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

A few Arsenal fans are the only people surprised by this. As soon as he left to Euros without signing, the writing was on the wall. Doesn't make it any less painful though. I've said this many times to you guys but RVP was my always my favourite post-invincible gunner, even more than Cesc. I've liked him since he first came as a roudy teen from Feyenoord.  So it stings to read this.

DonAndres 12 years ago
Barcelona 62 1138

Why Robin?
I cant imagine him to play for another team!Especially Real Madrid and Man City..
Why you do it to Arsenal fans?
they love  you so much,you are their Hero..
I Hope you don't do it for Money..
I am so sad like an Arsenal Fan!
Good Luck RVP

mladen 12 years ago
Manchester United, Yugoslavia 253 2319

don't go to man city.

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

So, now here we are. After Wenger put his faith in him and stood by him through 7 injury-plagued seasons when others called for him to cut his losses, Robin finally has one great injury-free season and decides to leave. Now, I really believe that he honestly cares deeply about this club because he always has a glow when he talks about it. But that wasn't enough to convince him to show a little more loyalty.
Second captain we've lost in 2 consecutive years. I'm not sure what being a "captain" means anymore. I am sad that he didn't follow the example of the great Bergkamp by sticking with the club and really cementing his place as a true legend of Arsenal. But he's decided to give that up for a guaranteed chance of winning some silverware before he retires. Which leads me to one question that I wonder if some players ask themselves: IS A SILVER TROPHY MORE VALUABLE THAN A LIFETIME OF BEING REMEMBERED BY MILLIONS OF FANS AS A TRUE LEGEND? I guess he thinks so.

GunnerGo 12 years ago

Arsenal has decided to keep him for his last year, i think this is a really bad idea, we should sell him now that we can get something for his signing, i can't believe i am saying this but it's the truth. Imagine how the other players would feel playing alongside another player that will leave for sure, and is OUR captain, i think that Wenger should think better when he decides who deserves (trully deserves) to be our captain, 4 captains have left, 2 in a row now (if Persie leave) so i hope we can get over this, i don't blame Wenger for this, i blame Gazidis and the board.

mladen 12 years ago
Manchester United, Yugoslavia 253 2319

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal confident Van Persie will stay

GunnerGo 12 years ago

Why i don't blame Wenger? well he did everything is his hands to keep him, he made him the captain, he builded a team arround his person, he brought King Henry to convince him to stay, but what Van Persie demands is out of his hands, is on the hands of the board, this board doesn't care about what fans wants the most, there i said it, i think we need a change in our board.

MatthewHerb 12 years ago
Liverpool, United States 5 72

I feel for Arsenal I really do. Correct me if I'm wrong but had Arsenal and the fans given up on RVP during those injury stricken years of his in the past...WHERE WOULD HE BE RIGHT NOW?? Such disregard and disrespect. 

quikzyyy 12 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Henry left the club with an amazing video message with tears in his eyes. Van Persie leaves with a shit blog post.

Gennady 12 years ago
Manchester United 284 3961

The question Arsenal is having now is "Do we sell him now or do we let him go for free later ?"

quikzyyy 12 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@Gennady i think we'll sell him cause he got now the high price.
I'm annoyed by what he did

koldimere 12 years ago
Arsenal, Germany 86 974

The reason RVP has decided not to extend his contract is because of disagreements in the direction of the club and can you even blame him? Firstly I'm not angry at RVP. I don't have the heart to be angry at RVP for what he did for our club. Secondly @GunnerGo I completely agree with you on this one Wenger can't be blamed this time. Gazidis and the board have give some answers. Loyalty isn't in question here it's solely the direction of Arsenal which honestly has been askew for the past 8 years. RVP has succeeded and failed in the same time as a captain. As a captain he succeeded by questioning the direction and ambition of the club but he failed by deciding "not to extend his contract" this act of submission is not what a captain does. Idk what else to say except if RVP signs for ManCity, he shall forever be dead to me. 

JesperKyd 12 years ago
Arsenal, England 15 152

Dissapointing news but if he goes to a rival premier league team i'd never forgive him if he had one ounce of dignity he'd move abroad to another league. it's disgusting tho as we have stuck by him through 7 injured years and decides to leave after 1 good year. no player is bigger then the club and he'll never pick up that form again once he leaves.