Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Thomas Vermaelen leaves for Barcelona
quikzyyy 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal 429 9002

Arsenal have agreed a fee of about £15m with Barcelona for the sale of captain Thomas Vermaelen.

The 28-year-old Belgium centre-back must now agree personal terms with the Catalan giants and pass a medical.

The move to Barcelona is likely to be completed this weekend, ending Vermaelen's five-year stay in London.

Vermaelen joined Arsenal from Ajax for £10m in 2009 and has made 150 appearances in all competitions.

Vermaelen's form and fitness meant he made just 21 appearances in all competitions this season and Wenger admitted this week that the player needed to move on.

Before last season I though he may be perfect CB pair with Koscielny, sadly after Injuries the pair Koscielny & Mertesacker just get better.

I will never forget your goal against Newcastle in 95th minute.
For Vermaelen goal switch to 1:35
"And it's there, Vermaelen has won it! In the last minute for Arsenal! Newcastle devastated!"

Good luck in Barcelona Thomas!

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Arsenal have agreed a fee of about £15m with Barcelona for the sale of captain Thomas Vermaelen.

The 28-year-old Belgium centre-back must now agree personal terms with the Catalan giants and pass a medical.

The move to Barcelona is likely to be completed this weekend, ending Vermaelen's five-year stay in London.

Vermaelen joined Arsenal from Ajax for £10m in 2009 and has made 150 appearances in all competitions.

Vermaelen's form and fitness meant he made just 21 appearances in all competitions this season and Wenger admitted this week that the player needed to move on.

Before last season I though he may be perfect CB pair with Koscielny, sadly after Injuries the pair Koscielny & Mertesacker just get better.

I will never forget your goal against Newcastle in 93rd minute.
"And it's there, Vermaelen has won it! In the last minute for Arsenal! Newcastle devastated!"

Comments
ramaboy10 10 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

But... I wanted Agger

ArsenalGunners 10 years ago
Arsenal, England 37 1662

Then who will play Centre Back against man city in the community shield and crystal palace in the league? Not Chambers because I believe he will f*ck us up because of his inexperience. We need to buy a back up CB incase Merte or Koscielny get injured cos now chambers has to play and his isnt proven.

Dynastian98 10 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Lol, Mathieu and Vermaelen are a waste of money for Barca. Agger and Hummels would have been much better choices.

• History

Lol, Mathieu and Vermaelen are a waste of money for Barca. Agger and Hummels would have been such better choices.

tiki_taka 10 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Agger isnt confirmed to be better than Vermaelen, but i agree for Hummells.
Anyway its not a waste of money we had no defenders, and we doesnt need a world class one you know, an average one is okay...
Better than nothing, lets bring Cuadrado and our market would be complete.

Lodatz 10 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Good to see that Barcelona are finally learning where to get the good defenders from!

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

Hahha agree Lodatz :)

FredTilson 10 years ago
Manchester City, France 61 769

@ ArsenalGunners - I wouldnt be too worried for the Community Shield. We don't have both our first team CB's available (Kompany and Demichelis) so we'd be playing inexperienced CB's as well.

netsten 10 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

Good luck to him, but I'm sad seeing him leaving the PL.

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited

Not from Tottenham if you know what i mean :).
Hummells was much better choice but no problem now ;).

• History

Not from Tottenham if you wanna know my point :).

Not from Tottenham if you wanna know my point :).

Not from Tottenham if you wanna know what i mean :).

DonAndres 10 years ago
Barcelona 62 1138

^
It is said that Barcelona despite the signing of Vermaelen will make a last effort to sign Vertonghen from Tottenham!
Tottenham has already told that he is not for sale though..
Lets see..
I cant even believe that we would get a 3rd CB while other years we didnt even buy anyone for that position..

Jimbet 10 years ago
Arsenal, Malaysia 12 1292

Good bye VERMINATOR

Tuanis 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

What's wrong with Barcelona? Did they just ran out of money?

Vermalen was a decent choice for United but not for Barcelona, he is a mediocre defender Barcelona should be aiming higher than that if they want to be competitive this season. With this guy Barcelona already has 5 CBs so I fear this is the last defender they will sign.

tiki_taka 10 years ago

I think we fell short of liquidity due to FFP rules, we need to sell players before signings.
Barça board had suffered some internal pressure by the fans to sign CB, they failed to sign Thiago Silva for 3 years now and lately Marquinhos, so yes we made panic buys overpaying in this era of the field.
Thats the way it is, hope Vermaelen/Mathieu will do well, i would preferred to see Godin/Miranda/Hummells or Blind but the pair we signed is better than nothing...

tiki_taka 10 years ago

10 TO 19 M € FOR Vermaelen
Jordi Mestre revealed the financial details of the transfer. "Thomas Vermaelen has signed a five-year (...) the price of the transaction is 10 million fixed with variables 5m based on performance, and 3.8 if we win the Champions League with his participation. His Release clause is € 80 million. 0.5%, as usual, are intended to UNICEF. We wish him good luck and success in Barcelona. "

KingHenry 10 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

Vermaelen is a little error prone, but he's still better than an average CB. The only reason he doesn't start is because of mert-kosc, who are both better than any defender barça have. I wish him the best and I wish him to get back to his early arsenal career form. I want to remind people that he made it into the EPL team of the season in his first season in England. He's a good buy.

@arsenalgunners Well Chambers was great, he seems to be very very talented, I think he'll be an amazing signing for us. Only 19, he'll start for england in 2018.

liomessi10 10 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

@ramaboy we still might get agger.

ramaboy10 10 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

^ We have bought 2 defenders now... there is no need for anymore.

liomessi10 10 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

^2 is not enough

tuan_jinn 10 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I dont think Vermaelen is a good buy, he's a good defender for sure, but Barca needs more than that. Unfortunately, like some have said, probably Barca is dealing with the FFP and cant buy a more expensive one.

He's injured now, with a hamstring :(. Good luck to Barca

• History

I dont think Vermaelen is a good buy, but like some have said, probably Barca is dealing with the FFP and cant buy a more expensive one.

He's injured now, with a hamstring :(. Good luck to Barca

tiki_taka 10 years ago

Sorry guys, i didnt met he is average, but like Mathieu they werent the expected ones knowing that we had no money limitation at the start of the mercato, now we have.
We are used to buy the best player of a team, and he isnt even a starter for injury prone reasons, anyway just know King henry that iam happy we have him, its better than nothing and i really want to see Piqué punished or fighting for his place rather than posting pics each 4 hours with Shakira.