Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

This defender is available so why aren’t Man United moving for him?
MUFCMORNING 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 9 4

It has already been a costly window for the club – with spending totalling around £135m so far – with all signs suggesting there will be more to come before the end of the summer window.However, despite Van Gaal's recent bid to bolster United’s midfield ranks and offer them more bite in attack, defence remains a particular area that needs urgent addressing.The Red Devils’ capture of Luke Shaw and more recently Marcos Rojo has shown that Van Gaal is aware of the problems at the back, but they are more far reaching than the signing of these two.At the heart of every great Man United team over the past two decades has been a strong central defence and it is very hard to claim that the Red Devils boast one at present.While there may be a relative dearth in talent available to Van Gaal in the transfer market, there remains one player that could arguably provide the United boss with the defensive strength he is crying out for.Just 12 months ago Toby Alderweireld was tipped for a move to the Premier League after five successful seasons as a professional at Ajax, but the highly-rated Belgian instead opted for a move to Athletico Madrid.However, it seems as though Sunderland have managed to lure him to England on a Season-Long Loan.With all due respect to the Black Cats, their move for the Belgian poses the question, ‘If Alderweireld is available, then why aren't Man United moving for him?
Prior to his switch to Spain, Alderweireld was lauded as one of Europe’s best young defenders, leading former Ajax boss Martin Jol to comment: “He is capable of so much more than just marking a striker out of the game. He is quite good on the ball as well and I see him as a future star player.
“He has physical strength, vision, technique, pace and he is strong in the air. There is no doubt about it that he will join a European powerhouse one day."

And he certainly has the figures to back up that ability. Four league titles in the last four years (three with Ajax and La Liga with Atletico Madrid), underline this is a player tuned to win, but there is more to him than that.
What Do You Think Manchester United Fans Shall We Sign Him
Comment Below

Comments
ashwin1729 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

Toby Alderweild is good, but we have players with similar potential as him like Jones, McNair, and Blackett. We need someone like Hummels, who can organize the troups, and command the area. Southamption probably has an option to by him too I guess. Which is why we haven't gone after him. He played well so far, and if you want to buy from Southamption, you will have to overpay for sure.

Eden17Hazard17 9 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

A good but cheap option is Darmian, only I want to see him at a better club.

NovaRuk 9 years ago
Real Madrid/Barcelona, Malaysia 17 741

@ashwin Remind me what happened to Blackett?

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Alderweireld didn't perform at Atletico for the duration that he was there. I did not watch him at Ajax, so I don't have much of a good impression of him so far. It seemed to me that he lacked the desire to go to that next level when he was at Atletico.

seymorebutts_66 9 years ago
Bayern Munich, Germany 10 422

Man U don't like his haircut.

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

He was okay the few times he got a chance to play with Atleti, he seems to have proven himself with Belgium national side so i guess he has the level to play good in PL...
For 135M of signings i though you signed much more than this number, Luke shaw + Di Maria = 100M alone.

• Rojo + Herera + Falcao + Blind...
ashwin1729 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

@NovaRuk: Blackett has been inconsistent. van Gaal prefers Jones and Smalling over Blackett and McNair. I would actually play him or McNair ahead of Evans. van Gaal also said that he will introduce youngsters when they're ready. So I can only imagine that he is not completely ready.

MUFCMORNING 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 9 4

Toby would be fantastic for the team tho he is fantastic of marking a player out of the game he is tall n fast great in the air through balls are fantastic seriously we need the best out of man u n with this guy we will stronger our team like hell.