Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

This Birth of Arsenal (December 11th)
Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

On this day in 1886, a rag-tag group of lower-class Socttish munitions workers in Woolwich, South London had just finished their Saturday morning shift. The group of 13-15 men pitched in to buy a football and made their way across the Thames to play a game against the amateur team "Eastern Wanderers" on the Isle of Dog. The match was played on a lop-sided field adjacent to an open sewer. Every time the ball went out of play it needed to be washed down. The Wanderers were roundly beaten 6-0.
The group of friends didn't have a name, a kit, or a home pitch. Their opponents referred to them at the time as "Dial Square" after a workshop in one of the factories.  
Shortly thereafter, they decided that they wanted to play again and one of the players was able to use his connections to procure a complete set of red shirts from the established club "Nottingham Forest". On Christmas Day (this date is disputed) the young men gathered at their favourite local pub "The Royal Oak" and decided upon a formal name; they would be know as the "Royal Arsenal"
And from these humble origins sprung the club all Gooners know and love today.

Happy Birthday Arsenal!

Comments
ikoiko 11 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

"And so it went, the Eastern Wanderers kept wandering..."

MRarsenal500 11 years ago
Arsenal, England 59 741

i remember last year arsenal vs everton haha

KingHenry 11 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

you told the story well :D or did you take it from somewhere ? Anyways happy birthday Arsenal !

Falconryman1 11 years ago
Arsenal 1 161

Happy birthday... Not a very happy one though..

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

Oh GOD, what terrible timing :(

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

They should've handed out a fifth of Whiskey instead of santa hats to the travelling Arsenal fans.  @KingHenry thanks. Just my own words really based on what I read before.

expertfootball11 11 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Birthday gone wrong.