Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The myth of Morata
milanlamiavita 4 years ago
Bustese Milano City, Italy 4 3418

You would think that when a player has had 2-3 moves, either himself, his agent or his family would turn to him and say...listen son, maybe it would be best to buckle down, work hard and build something meaningful at one club...you don't need to move every time there is some interest or an offer.

Yet the above thinking doesn't seem to apply to Morata. Real Madrid to Juventus, Juventus to Real Madrid, Real Madrid to Chelsea, Chelsea to Atleti on loan and then finally Chelsea to Atleti. All in all, Morata has amassed in excess of £160m in transfer fees alone. That's not including sign on fees, agents fees, performance bonuses, advertising income and of course, wages. And yet when you look at his record in some detail, you'll notice that since 2011, Morata has scored 15 or more league goals in only one season. Now, it seems that there is genuine interest from Juventus for the player to move back there. Whilst Atleti have rejected the bid, unbelievably, Morata seems open to the move.

So my questions are as follows:

Who is he? Is he really that good? Is Morata driven by playing football or just earning money? 9 years after breaking into the Real Madrid first team, what is his legacy and does he really warrant such high transfer fees?

Comments
Marcus2011 4 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Why would agent pass down on opportunity to make money on transfer?

Morata is citizen of the world and fan of every club. He likes them all in different flavors. He takes every bit of what life gives. Be like Morata and life gets exciting. Getting paid Hundreds of thousand dollars by top football clubs to warm the bench for the next player, it is a dream that many footballers wouldn’t mind

DarthFooty 4 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

Number of reasons why a player would move so much and I can't pretend to know his motives or what arrangements he has with his family and agents.

I will say, I have never rated him top of any team he has played on. He is a role player. While he does score some goals, he is inconsistent and I feel he fills a need when a coach has to rest players. Of course, tactics can swing him into the match when the strategy fits for a player like him, but I have never seen him as the main starting threat on any of the teams he has played with.

Tough though, because he has played with some very good teams, so it is easy to get overshadowed by superstars around you.

@DarthFooty.

100% agree with you. Morata hasn't been a protagonist anywhere. Whilst he scored a couple of important goals in Europe when with Juventus, his return in Serie A was poor. You can make excuses for his time at Real Madrid due to competition, but even at Chelsea when bought as a marquee signing, he failed. You're absolutely right in that he's a squad player. You look at him in a Spain shirt as well. He has never been able to cement his place as their number 1 forward. Saying that, his record at international level is arguably the one positive.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

Tbh, I feel like he reached his best level at Juventus and at Real Madrid (where he was more of a super sub). I have to agree with Darthfooty though, we are talking about a very inconsistent player. Personnaly, I think his problem was that he really wanted to play at Real but ended up realizing that he didn't had a future there as a starter and ended up agreeing to leave when presented with the occassion. Sadly, to me, after that, he looked like he didn't have any sort of motivation.

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

It's quite easy when you think about it.

Player looks relatively good for a super club while young. Lot of talk about potential.

Moves to another super club to get minutes. Looks pretty good, and gets taken back by big club for the cheap buy-back clause.

Super club just wanted to turn a profit, they had his position filled, so flip him to a big club for $$$

Player sucked at big club

While maybe it was just that club and their stupid manger roulette. Another big club takes a chance for $$$

Nope, he was at his level.

End of saga.

We've seen it before and we'll see it again.

@SunFlash.

Morata was never 'pretty good' at juve. He amassed only 15 league goes in over 60 matches! Granted, he did though score a couple of important tap ins in the Champions leagues!

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

@milan

Lot of sub appearances in that. Per 90 I recall it was a fairly decent goal return.

expertfootball11 4 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

I think we as Real Madrid are quite responsible for not letting develop him to his full potential, Mourinho had mixed feelings about him, so did Ancelotti and other coaches. If he keeps going from club to club this much, it means he hasn't found the best place for him to play. But I think it's best that he goes toJuve, he can still learn from cr7. Atletico seems in decline with Simeone coaching it.

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

Atletico seems in decline with Simeone coaching it.

enter image description here

milanlamiavita 4 years ago Edited

They've won the Europa League in the past two seasons, finished second and then 3rd last season. Whilst I don't believe they're in decline, I'll say that their recruitment hasn't been as good. Some really expensive signings with question marks. Case in point - their top scorer this past season - Morata with 16. The lowest goal tally by a season's top scorer for Atléti since the 2006-07 season.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

They've won the Europa League in the past two seasons, finished second and then 3rd last season. Whilst I don't believe they're in decline, I'll say that their recruitment hasn't been as good. Some really expensive signings with question marks.

KaithlynMoore 4 years ago
USA 0 6

Morata has joined Juventus, and now I hope he will perform, and with Cristiano Ronaldo on the striking end, they would be unstoppable.