Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The End of Barcelona's Reign...
TheTruth 11 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 5 246

It's mighty obvious that Barcelona is not fit of the title "best in the world" anymore... The big teams in Europe seemed to have to have Tiki-Taka all figured out: Patiently defend (aka "parking the bus"),  wait for a chance and deliver a swift, lightning fast and fatal counters. I won't get into details about Tiki-taka because tdot2barca seems to have already made a thread about it. All I can say is that Barcelona need to modify Tiki-taka somehow if they ever want to win a champions league again. Now back to my point, with Barcelona out of the picture, Who is deserves the title of "best in the world"? In my opinion, it should be either Bayern Munich or Manchester United. What do you think?

Comments
DonAndres 11 years ago
Barcelona 62 1138

I Am tired to read those type of threads every time that Barca loses a game.
I just cant stand.
After every defeat is the end of the the reign!i hear it since 2009 and still counting..
If Barcelona beats milan 3-0 the reign will be back,right?
I will post once again my favourite video ever.
The best team ever for me(and a few others)the best team that world has seen.
after 5 years of being the best i dont think there is a problem to have a break.

Zakzook 11 years ago
Arsenal, Syria 32 785

I said Barca's reign will be over because they've been winning it once every two years and if they don't then I think it's over.

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

To be honest, I think it's a brave man who doesn't count on Barcelona coming back to beat Milan 3-0 at the Camp Nou. Don't write Barcelona off just yet, fellas; this is a team who have shown they can produce miracles when the chips are down.

As for the defensive argument, I think what the problem is when discussing it is that people are looking for different things, especially from the full-backs. In Spanish football (and other places too), full-backs have become pretty much just aides to the attack, these days, most especially so at Barcelona (whom the entire league is copying) and Real Madrid. I think both Alba and Alves are prime examples of this; they're judged on what they bring to the attack, and the width of the team, rather than how tight a ship they keep at the back. Neither of them really know how to handle a speedy winger running at them, and when they're up against big, beefy forwards, they rely a lot upon winning free-kicks to regain possession, instead.

Marcelo is another example. Sure, he's got the traditional Brazilian silky skills and tricks, and he's very creative going forward. But as a defender he's just plain average, and I wouldn't trust him to keep Aaron Lennon quiet, let alone some like Arjen Robben. 

As for central defenders, I have to rate Kompany way above Pique. I have nothing against Pique, and like him as a player, but he's not really a great defender; he's just tall and able to join in the tiki-taka style that Barcelona (and the Spanish national side) use day in, day out. He's the Valdes of centre-backs. 

And, really, that's fine. Barcelona is more about the team being greater than the sum of its parts, so it works for them. Even someone like Messi and Iniesta have grown up understanding that their individual brilliance serves the team, and the team itself is the best in the world.

But no, sorry, I can't agree they have the best defense, either collectively, or individually. It's more the fact that they don't let the other team have the ball often enough to score a lot that makes it seem as though they have such a good defense.

20ROBINVANPERSIE 11 years ago
Manchester United, England 26 349

if it is the end man united , real Madrid and Bayern munich will be the new kings

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@tdot

Well, tdot? Where's your response to Lodatz's argument? I love how Barca fans who think their club is the "best" everywhere are perfectly quiet and still when they get proved otherwise.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

No offense to DonAndres or TheTruth. This one was directed at tdot.

Jeffrey_Hazard 11 years ago
Chelsea, France 81 456

lol just one game and you think its all over?why?too used to winning?not used to losing?this is when loyalty is tested for you barca fans

raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Dynastian and Lodatz judging a player is all biased and opinionated, it changes from person to person. The only way to judge the defense is statistically, and as how Dynastian pointed out they have let in quite a few goals. Bayern probably have the best defense only conceding 7 goals (last one from open play was back in december) but then again that only happens because of how heavily they attack and dominate teams. They adopted Barca's possession but they sure as hell don't waste it like Barcelona does from time to time.

tdot2barca 11 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

That was all opinionated so I wasn't really proved otherwise. They don't have an amazing defensive record but the goalie also comes into thought. Valdes has made a lot of stupid mistakes and let in easy to save goals in the past couple seasons. 
& what do you mean I get quiet? I'm just on the computer a lot less than you..

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@tdot: What do you disagree with, though?

tdot2barca 11 years ago

You saying Pique is not a great defender, or saying one of the best defenses individually. 

But what I do agree with is you saying people look for different things in a full back. I like a attack minded fullback who can defend, such as Dani Alves, Maicon in his prime, Jordi Alba, this is why I think they are one of the best (not Maicon anymore). If you see Jordi Alba on the pitch hes up and down the wing, never out of position because of his loads of stamina, his work rate is incredible. He is incredibly fast, and can defend and attack very well. This is why I think he is one of the best left backs in the world. & yes, better than Evra in my opinion. 

Dani Alves was much better the past couple seasons but injury has plagued him but he will be at his best very soon.

JuanMata10 11 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

I completely agree with Don Andres

KingHenry 11 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

Barça's defense is far from the best defense in Europe. Bayern comes to mind obviously. But the team is still up there with the best. It's hard to say who is better between madrid and barça. During clasicos the two teams play on the same level. And we don't know who's better between bayern and barça before they play eachother.
Just a reminder, you have messi, xavi, iniesta, fabregas, those four players alone could carry almost any team to victory

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@tdot Maicon is 10 times better at defending than Dani Alves, and also much better at attacking. Alves is good because he gets SO much support from Messi, Iniesta, and co. Who did Maicon have? He was dictating the play himself on the Inter's right wing. He was defending and attacking relentlessly. He even forced Javier Zanetti, their legendary captain, into a new position because Maicon himself was simply too good to be left out. And don't expect Alves to be coming back to his best. He's 30 now, and his legs will only get heavier. And the fact that Martin Montoya is coming up the ranks pretty damned fast will force Alves to either the bench or out of the team entirely.

And no, I believe Patrice Evra is better than Jordi Alba. First and foremost, Evra has great leadership qualities on the pitch, and is United's captain when Vidic is injured. He's not the best left back going forward (Marcelo and Alba are better here), and he's not the most solid defender either (Ashley Cole is better at defensive duties), but Evra is by far the most consistent. That consistency can take a player to new heights. Look at Lionel Messi. It's not just Messi's raw talent that makes him so good, but his consistency does as well. And that's why Evra is better than Alba, and also remember that Alba is not very good at all at tracking back. Evra actually remembers that his main priority is as a defender, whereas Puyol gets forced to cover for Alba constantly.

tdot2barca 11 years ago

I didn't say Maicon was not better at Dani Alves; in his prime, he was way better.

In full-backs, I can see defensive duties are a lot more important than attacking for you. For me I like a fullback that is good at attacking. Evra is the better leader than Alba for sure, but Alba is still young and just risen to the scene. I do not think Evra's consistency is better than Alba's, because Alba plays great every game. He plays exceptional and makes very important tackles every game.

bloodred1992 11 years ago
Manchester United, Portugal 15 300

I feel Barcelona can do a lot better if they play with wingers. They focus too much on possession. Perhaps they could use an element of surprise against AC Milan by getting out of their usual tiki-taka and putting some crosses in the box. Well that's what they should have done in the first leg and even against Chelsea last season, but hey they are a top class team and they could bounce back against Milan using their tried and tested style (but I seriously doubt it).