Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The Chelsea Way Might Not Be The Wrong Way
Jeffrey_Hazard 11 years ago
Chelsea, France 81 456

In England, the majority of pundits and commentators seem to think that the way to be successful in football is to find a good manager, back him in the transfer market and be patient, allowing him to slowly build for long-term success. Over and over, we’re told how football managers need time and that the really successful teams are the ones who stick with their manager for decades.

But maybe that's the totally wrong approach. Maybe you should give someone six months to do the job and if you think they're crap after six months, get rid of them. I mean, in the nine years since Abramovich has taken over, Chelsea have employed nine different managers, which should be a recipe for complete failure, but actually they've done pretty well. They've won the Champions League once, the Premier League three times, the FA Cup four times and the League Cup twice. That's not a bad return.

Let’s imagine that when Abramovich took over Chelsea, he appointed a manager called Interim Jones (it’s not a realistic name, but never mind - maybe in a few years Interim will become a very popular boys name). And Interim Jones, over the course of 9 years at Chelsea, won the Champions League, the Premier League three times, the FA Cup four times and the League Cup twice, we would probably hail Interim Jones as one of the great managers of the present day. We would talk of him in the same breath as Sir Alex and Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho. But Interim Jones doesn’t exist – he’s just a lovely name to give to Mr Abramovich’s business strategy.

Of course, you could argue that money talks, and it's not the managers who made the biggest difference to Chelsea at all, but Abramovich's billions. It’s a pretty persuasive theory; give any football team billions of pounds to spend on the world’s best players and they are always likely to win something. Manchester City seem to be doing ok.

Italian and Spanish clubs have been hiring and firing managers for decades now. Ten years ago I remember reading that if an Italian club lost 4 games in a row, the manager would normally be kicked out. To my English eyes, it seemed like madness, but maybe they were onto something. In the last 20 years Spanish and Italian clubs have performed as well as – if not better than – English clubs in Europe. The fact that many of them had a new manager every eight months doesn’t seem to have harmed them too much.

Opponents of this theory will point to the number of trophies Manchester United have won by sticking with Sir Alex Ferguson for 26 years; but maybe, in the same way that there's more than one good way to manage a football club, there's also more than one good way to own a football club. Maybe the Manchester Utd way (sticking by your manager) and the Abramovich way (sack them as soon as you think they are crap) are just two different strategies. In the time since Sir Alex has been Manchester United's manager the club have won the Premier League 12 times, the FA Cup five times and the Champions League twice. In the same period, Real Madrid have employed 23 different managers and have won La Liga 11 times, the Copa Del Rey once and the Champions League three times. They are quite similar records.

Maybe one managerial strategy isn't inherently better than the other. In the same way that Barcelona’s tiki-taki strategy isn’t morally better than Manchester United’s strategy of pace and counter-attack, maybe getting a new manager every season isn’t any worse than sticking by your manager through thick and thin.

Comments
raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

I believe in giving managers times. You can't expect someone to take over what someone else was building and deploy brand new strategy and style and expect it to succeed. It complicates the players and team. Some players take time to adapt to new coaches. RDM might be a rare miracle but don't expect a repeat. Managers need to bs able to build their own team with the tactics and players they see fit. 

Lets take a look at your example:
Before interim jones there was Manager Charlie. Charlie here believes in building slowly from the back playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation and bought players to suit such play. They hit a rough patch lose 5 games and BAM he's sacked. Jones comes in and find all Charlie built is wrong. He believes in pure speed lots of crosses and high defensive line using 4-3-3. Now we can see how they are gonna run into trouble. The players had adapted to the former strategy and maybe even grew fond of Charlie. Jones comes in and disrupts everything. You can't possibly think that the very first game under new manager to be a spectacular win. It will take maybe a month for the team to adjust and be successful. 

I hope that can demonstrate why managers need time. 

Heisinburg 11 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

What's this? A sad excuse from a Chelsea fan?

After the saving your club's asses from the shitty situation AVB left, alongside winning the FA Cup and surprisingly the UEFA CL, all in a very short period of time, Abramovich decides to sack RDM as a reaction to 2 floppy performances in a row, which every successful managers inevitably experiences in their time in a club? Sorry, but that's just pathetic, and your statement is ridiculous to an extent that it shows us how much you really don't care about WHO does the work for you, but only caring about the success you get from 'it'.

SAF started off poorly with United when he first started, but there's this powerful word called 'Faith' the owners bestowed on him, and look where he is now. You should give managers time and faith, and that is how real success bred, which your club lacks very much.

Jeffrey_Hazard 11 years ago
Chelsea, France 81 456

Hmmmm.... Sticking to a manager holds true for clubs with limited amounts of money. Clubs like Real or Chelsea have plenty to shell out every year on players who themselves are enough to get you some silverware. Also, if firing-hiring tactics were adopted by say Arsenal or Everton they would have been playing in Championship by now. It's all about money.... If you have got it, you wil win silverware. If you havent got it then managers will win silverware for you!

Ihaveabbc 11 years ago
Liverpool, England 7 370

Look at SAF and Jürgen Klopp. In the first years they didn't do very well but after 2-3 years look where they were/are back then/now.
I think this could happen to Liverpool too if they keep BR for the next 2 years. "At the end of the storm there is a golden sky" :P

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

I got bored after the first sentence :P

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

@Jeffrey:
Kudos on a well written piece. Mind you it's complete bullocks but a good read nonetheless. I think you yourself have pointed to the real crux of matter: "It's all about money.... If you have got it, you will win silverware.:. Of course, you could argue that money talks, and it's not the managers who made the biggest difference to Chelsea at all, but Abramovich's billions. It’s a pretty persuasive theory; give any football team billions of pounds to spend on the world’s best players and they are always likely to win something."
The truth is that Chelsea's ability to attract good players and write-off flops without much of a problem is what allows them to succeed. It is a fallacy to think that the success they've seen is BECAUSE of the changes in management rather than in spite of it.
@ramaboy: I think that is a problem with most people on these forums. They lack the attention span to read anything of substance.

Trollman 11 years ago
Chelsea, Egypt 32 525

I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with this. To have a manager who will stay with Chelsea for a long time keeps the players connecting to the manager instead of learning how to connect to a new manager every season. It may also affect the younger players like Hazard, Oscar, and Moses. Seeing new managers every season isn't something fun. You have to have a new training session, new tactics, and the only way to win trophies is to have trust in one manager. I'm not saying any manager, but a manager that is good enough to help us win trophies.

PuppetMaster 11 years ago
England 15 331

you cant win the league in 3 months you need at least 1-2 years to win it. 

quikzyyy 11 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

i totally agree with Trollman!

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

@footaholic: I get bored because sometimes i just read the comments and judging from the outcome, I know it is not wort reading.