Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Sporting Lisbon sign India captain - Sunil Chhetri
naman93 12 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

Sporting Lisbon have announced the signing of Sunil Chhetri following the 
expiration of the forward's contract with Mohun Bagan.

The India captain has signed a two-year deal with the Primeira Liga outfit's B team and is eagerly 
awaiting the opportunity to prove himself in the Portuguese capital.

"It is a real pleasure for me and an exciting moment in my career to be joining a European giant 
like Sporting Lisbon," he told his new club's official website.

"I have dreamt of this day and always believed that my time will come. It is now a reality. Sporting 
Lisbon, my agent Yogesh Joshee has made it possible for me and I will make it count for India. 
Thank you so much.

Sporting, meanwhile, hope that the deal will both boost their profile in Asia and also aid the 
development of the game in Chhetri's homeland.

"We have reached out to Indian football, a market estimated by Fifa contain more than 20 million 
players, and in this context, Sunil Chhetri, captain of the Indian national team and an idol in that 
country, who symbolises the dreams of all young players who aspire to play in Europe, will join the 
roster of the 'B' team," a statement on the club's official website read. 

"With our experience in detecting and developing top players, we are ready, together with local 
partners, to find the best solutions to accelerate the development of football in India and find values 
that young people are likely to integrate in other areas of their growth. 

"A demonstration of the quality of our services reflects well on our business value in one of the 
world’s most emerging markets."

In 2010, Chhetri became the first Indian to join the USA’s Major League Soccer when he signed for 
Sporting Kansas City. He was adjudged Player of the Year for 2011 by the AIFF. Chhetri scored two goals 
in the Asian Cup finals last year, one each against Bahrain and South Korea.

Chhetri, who had a short spell with Kansas City Wizards two years ago, has netted 33 goals in 58 
appearances for India.

#Being an Indian I feel proud with these positive steps in Indian Football,but still a long long long way to go ............

I want to listen Indian National Anthem in FIFA World Cup before I die !!!  Hahaha 

Comments
naman93 12 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

source : Goal.com India

bloodred1992 12 years ago
Manchester United, Portugal 15 300

I was just gonna make a post over this myself. This is great news! Sporting Lisbon has one of the best training facilities and I hope Sunil makes the most of it. I really want to see an Indian player making his mark on world football. Since Bhaichung has now retired, Sunil will now be the face of Indian football and if he proves himself in Sporting then more European teams will try to look for talents in India!

awais007 12 years ago
Chelsea, Pakistan 178 922

nice to see our neighbor country has much potential so congratulates u @naman

ramaboy10 12 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

:) nice to an indian in an alright squad!