Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Sir Alex Ferguson eyes 'stupid' Manchester City result
iftikar2k7 12 years ago
Manchester United, England 16 12

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says he is hoping "something stupid" happens to Manchester City to gift his team the Premier League title.

City host QPR on Sunday needing to match or better United's result against Sunderland to win the Premier League.

"We can only do our best and try to win the match and hope something stupid happens with City," said Ferguson.

"It's fantastic for the neutral, fantastic for the media, but agony for both clubs."

Ferguson added: "The attitude will be that City have to win but it's an enormous challenge for them too.

"The disappointment of losing the game would be unbelievable. It's untold what effect it could have on them."

Ferguson also criticised the manner of how current QPR manager Mark Hughes left Manchester City halfway through the 2009-10 season.

Hughes played for United under Ferguson, who said: "The way he [Hughes] was sacked was terrible. That was the general opinion by everyone. I think his wife knew before him.At the time it was a shock but I don't think that will matter to Mark that much. If you analyse Mark Hughes as a player and manager, all his teams seem to mirror him.

"He was a warrior as a player and I wish he was playing. If his team can mirror him then you never know.

"It will give him some satisfaction to get a result but I think he's more professional than that. His main aim will be to try and keep QPR in the division."

Ferguson urged Hughes' QPR to emulate his Aberdeen side, who upset Real Madrid to win the 1983 European Cup Winners' Cup.

"Do you know what happened 29 years ago today?," he asked journalists. "I took a wee team, Aberdeen, to beat Real Madrid in a European final.

"Eleven players, home-bred and the oldest player was 27 years of age. That's QPR's challenge, to do an Aberdeen.

"Of course, the odds are stacked against them. City are in good form and at home. It will not be easy for them because the pressure on them will be enormous, the fans will be putting the referee under tremendous pressure.

"It's not going to be easy because you expect City to win. But, as long as human beings are human beings, you never know. You just hope something stupid happens."

QPR need a point to guarantee their Premier League survival.

With reports that wages would be cut in the event of relegation, Ferguson does not expect Mark Hughes' men to be short of motivation against City.

"For QPR, it's the other end of the spectrum," he said. "Probably most of their players will be put on the [transfer] list, other players' salaries will be halved from what I can gather. Things like that.

"That makes it such an important game. But it doesn't matter if we don't win."