Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Should World Football have an All-Star Game?
Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

So I read and article about this, and I agree.

Well, the NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL all have All-Star games, and people flock up to see them in record numbers, so the question is, should FIFA host one as well? Well let's look at the advantages first.

For starters, FIFA can raise a lot of money with it. And the money doesn't have to be put to waste either. FIFA can donate it to charity, and that way people will be very convinced that the All-Star game is a fantastic event organised by FIFA and one worth watching.

Second.... well this point is one we ALL agree on.
Come on. Don't tell me you never wanted to see Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo on the same team. It's something football fans will die for. FIFA can have an online voting process every year for football fans around the globe. It's that simple. They can give you the choice to vote for two GK's instead of one, and six forwards instead of three, and so on to make two teams. Then they can just draw cards out of a hat and make the two teams. It's going to be amazing. But naturally, there's going to be debates about which players "unfairly" missed out on the All-Star game, but that is natural. And it also gives us our third and possibly the most important reason for FIFA to hold an All-Star game... Fun.

The All-Star game can be a fun experience for everyone, the players and the fans. The whole world may be watching Lionel Messi delicately lifting the ball over Joe Hart, and all the footballers in the world may watch Cristiano Ronaldo's magnificent long-ranged effort fly past Manuel Neuer. Come on guys. This would be great. And even with competitions like the Champions League pitting Europe's best teams against each other, this would get the whole WORLD involved in the fun. So in the end, the question turns from "Why should FIFA host an All-Star game" to "Why shouldn't FIFA host an All-Star game".

And guys, if you could make a FIFA All-Star team(s), what would it be? ;)

Comments
Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Here's mine.

Iker Casillas (Captain)

Daniel Alves        Mats Hummels       Sergio Ramos        Giorgio Chielini

**                                           Jack Wilshere

Andres Iniesta                          Mesut Ozil

Lionel Messi                                               Cristiano Ronaldo**

**Luis Suarez**

Radamel Falcao 

Neymar da Silva                                           Robin van Persie

Wayne Rooney                  Mario Gotze

Xavi Hernandez

Marcelo       Gerard Pique           Vincent Kompany (Captain)          Rafael da Silva

Joe Hart

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

The problem is size, and how to divide the world population.

The thing about the US: is it has 200 million (adult) people. It also has 4 major sports. When you break down that talent pool, each individual sport has only about 500 top-flight players to choose from, for their 'All Star' picks.

The thing about the rest of the world is: it has 4.5 billion (adult) people. It has one major sport. When your break down that talent pool, football has (in excess of) 500,000 top-flight players to choose from, and hardly any 'fair' way to divide them.

In the past, there has been the idea of Europe vs The Rest Of The World (TROTW), as a 'even' balance, because of the fact that Europe and South America share nearly half of the World Cup honours between them (Europe winning out). The problem with that idea is that it is severely out-dated, even to say that no South American team since the 1950s has won the World Cup other than Brazil or Argentina, and every single other one has gone to Europe.

That's not Europe vs TROTW. That's not even Europe vs South America. That's Europe vs Brazil and Argentina, and when we expand the issue to club football, there's simply no comparison to Europe at all.

There's simply no good way to make an 'All Star' team in football, unless we make it a PL 'All Star' vs a La Liga 'All Star', or a Bundesliga 'All Star'... which, frankly makes no sense anyway.

I know I can be a bit of a 'Europe snob', but, seriously. The idea of 'All Star' teams and play is best left to small sports, with small audiences, and small talent pools, like those in the US. For a global sport like football, it's just unfathomable to begin figuring out how you would even calculate it.

The best we get are charity matches, which are just for fun. My vote is to keep it that way.

raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Would be cool for entertainment purposes but then again half these players play an average of 50+ games a season I doubt they would want to play more if there is nothing at stake. 

man_utd 11 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

@raimondo90
If they really loved football, they would do it wether it had something at stake or not...
I totally would want an All-Star Game 

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

It is very difficult to do it that way, but the FIFA World XI that was the fans' choice was done that way. And so was the Puskas Award. So why not the All-Star game? And FIFA can make a shortlist of players to vote from as well, which narrows it down to the point where random players don't get undeserved votes. I personally think that this could be a great idea.

Lodatz 11 years ago

@Dynast: I guess that all I can say is: if you did not see how absurd the FIFA World XI was, or how nonsensical the shortlist for the Puskas Award were, or how awful the decisions to give the World Cup to Russia and Qatar were... then nothing I can say will convince you that FIFA are an utterly corrupt organization who should not be trusted to run a Sunday league, let alone judge which players should be playing in an 'All Star' game.

We already have an All Star tournament. It's called the World Cup.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz Well I suppose, but I still think that this is a game we can all dream of. O;)

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

Or maybe I'm just obsessed with the chance of seeing Messi and Ronaldo play on the same team for once. ;)

Lodatz 11 years ago

Hehe, I'd love that too. But again, we have the chance for that with charity matches.

Just out of interest, have you ever heard of the Barbarians, in rugby? It's a team that is formed by invitation only to play a game against whichever national side is ranked highest in the world. It's probably the closest thing in a global sport to what you're talking about, but even that would be ludicrously hard to organize, if it came to football...

Heisinburg 11 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

Is it just me that isn't "dying to see" Messi and Ronaldo playing together? I'd rather watch the best compete against each other for one glory - that's precisely why football exist. Having to watch an All-Star game every year is just a childish idea, no offence. I'd rather put an All-Star match as a charity event, rather than a  newly regular tradition.

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

yes, I too agree that this would be an unnecessary and impractical exercise.  

Jimskeleton 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 7 728

As a fan of American sports and having watched the NBA all star game on TV within the last 2 weeks and having watched previous NHL all star games they are pointless, it's just a meaningless game, a way to entertain some fans with trick shots or fancy dunks. I want to watch competitive sport, not a game where the players don't want to have any contact with each other.

man_utd 11 years ago

I personally think though, when superstars such as Falcao Messi Ronaldo actually play together, they would do worse...
In basketball you just have to pass the ball around and you dont really need too much chemistry but in football, when superstars play together, I just think it wouldn't work out...

Heisinburg 11 years ago

@man_utd, it's not about team chemistry, it's just about watching superstars playing together in one game, smh.

man_utd 11 years ago

@Hesinburg
I know it's watching superstars playing together... Is it wrong to just say that they might do worse because there's not enough chemistry? Jesus. Everything anybody says always seems to annoy you even if it was an opinion. You've got some serious social issues. And what the hell is with "smh"? Stop acting like a twat.

Heisinburg 11 years ago

But it's the truth...you seriously get emotional sometimes :/

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Heisinburg

It's just for the fun of it. People would want to see a match where the best players in the world are pitted against each other.

Heisinburg 11 years ago

yea, of course. I'm definitely up for it if it's for a good cause (like charity), but having it once every year, like other leagues, is not a good idea.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Heisinburg

Maybe just once every few years? Like the World Cup? Then it could drag bigger crowds and be considered an honor for a player to be in the All-Star Game.

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Hell yeah... and the tickets free go to CHARITY!