Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Should Ronaldo play as a starter for WC 2022
Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard a lot of discussion around Ronaldo and its place in the NT. For me he need to be called up for the WC, there no doubt in my mind, the experience he has, the leadership and charisma he bring to the team is undeniable.

However as far as playing is concerned, he's having a complicated season and his physical ability are declining sadly. My question today is, should Ronaldo start for Portugal in the WC or accept a place as a super-sub and leave other, more in-form player start for the NT.

Personally, I tempted to say that yes, he should propably start considering leaving more place to the younger generation and so should Fernando Santos. 8 years has passed since the success in Euro 2016 and I honestly think this team can aim to do better than play for Ronaldo or be the under-dog.

Some might say that in the end, its the manager who chose but for me there no doubt that the man himself has a lot of influence on his whole NT.

Should Ronaldo start for Portugal in WC 2022?

Thought?

Comments
quikzyyy 2 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Should he? No

Will he? Yes

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

@quikzyyy Of course he will, there no doubt about it for me, unless he's injured or something. We already know he got full confidence of Santos. Now the question is, could Portugal be potentially better with another player up front? I honestly think having Ronaldo in a team limit quite lot what you can do both with or without the ball.

DarthFooty 2 years ago Edited
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

Time is undefeated! For "most" players the drop-off comes pretty quick as the body is just not able to keep up with all the work. CR7 is still in incredible shape, and he can compete with anyone on his day, but he looks like he needs to either start and push as far as he can, then get subbed, or come on in a second half to provide that experience and ability. A full match is not in the cards, not if he wants to play in every match of the cup.

Think about this a second as well. Ten is not playing him as much and that might be something negotiated between him and Ronaldo. Someone who HAS to be in the cup, and wants to shine there, perhaps he has an agreement to limit time and build up for the cup, so as to not risk as much injury and fatigue. Heck, I won't be surprised if a number of other big-profile players start to taper back as they get closer to the big dance.

Messi is having an easier go because of the team around him. Man United is not as talented from top to bottom, and the EPL is much more difficult, week in and week out. Not taking a dig at either player, but inevitably, we always compare the two.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Time is undefeated! For "most" players the drop-off comes pretty quick as the body is just not able to keep up with all the work. CR7 is still in incredible shape, and he can compete with anyone on his day, but he looks like he needs to either start and push as far as he can, then get subbed, or come on in a second half to provide that experience and ability. A full match is not in the cards, not if he wants to play in every match of the cup.

Think about this a second as well. Ten is not playing as much and that might be something negotiated between him and Ronaldo. Someone who HAS to be in the cup, and wants to shine there, perhaps he has an agreement to limit time and build up for the cup, so as to not risk as much injury and fatigue. Heck, I won't be surprised if a number of other big-profile players start to taper back as they get closer to the big dance.

Messi is having an easier go because of the team around him. Man United is not as talented from top to bottom, and the EPL is much more difficult, week in and week out. Not taking a dig at either player, but inevitably, we always compare the two.

Footy_watch 2 years ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1859

There's no one better than cr7 in Portugal

Emobot7 2 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Footy_watch Historically no, but in term of form, players like Leao and Jota are getting far more game time at club level and they can bring a lot more to Portugal rather than just scoring goal. Don't forget that Ronaldo haven't exactly been scoring goal left and right recently.

@DarthFooty Fair enough, but I feel like Ronaldo would need to get to a good start, have a run of decent games to get into the good state of mind, I know he will turn up the level in key game but considering how he been performing right now, I kinda worry that it won't be enough.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Footy_watch Historically no, but in term of form, players like Leao and Jota are getting far more game time at club level and they can bring a lot more to Portugal rather than just scoring goal. Don't forget that Ronaldo haven't exactly been scoring goal left and right recently.