Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Share your thoughts on why Barcelona lost the CL semi-final
bloodred1992 12 years ago
Manchester United, Portugal 15 300

OK I want this to be a decent and mature discussion strictly related to the topic. Please don't start crticising or abusing either team unless you have some factual reasoning behind it. Also don't start on why this or that team sucks and start bringing rival teams into the discussion. And I'd prefer if you'd say something more than just ball possession, dominance, parking the bus and luck while you make your point.

So I think that Barcelona were beaten (on aggregate) because of their own style of play. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not good as I know it has got them huge success over the past few years but what I'm saying is that their style of play may not always be right against every team or in every situation.
For instance, when Terry got sent off (and even Cahill was out) and Mikel dropped deeper I thought Barca would increase the pace of their game but instead they stuck to their slow, patient passing game. I thought so cause I've seen teams in the Premier League kill off the opposition when they were a man down by immediately playing at a breakneck pace so as to increase pressure and not allow the defence to settle. 
And it's not as if the crowded defence of Chelsea was being a problem to that. If you would have observed, Barca had about 6 or 7 odd chances in the last 15 minutes when the ball was passed to their wingers (Alves and Iniesta) and they just didn't cross the ball into the box despite having a clear chance to do so. Well I thought it was an obvious thing to do since Chelsea players were suffocating space at the centre and also they had lost their first choice centre-backs. But the wingers just played the ball back in an attempt to break through the wall of players. 
Also in the few incidents when Chelsea were able to knock the ball away to their strikers up field and Barca took the ball off them, they never tried to make a counter attack. Instead, they tried playing the prefect passing game giving enough time for even the Chelsea strikers to track back and defend.

So all in all, my opinion is that in this game Barca were always trying to look for the perfect pass, play the perfect game and that unfortunately proved costly to them.

Comments
bloodred1992 12 years ago
Manchester United, Portugal 15 300

Also Barcelona's set pieces were very disappointing, knocking the ball into the wall almost in every free kick.

WhatTheHell 12 years ago
Barcelona, Spain 15 591

We lost to a brilliant keeper Petr Cech

expertfootball11 12 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

OK , but Messi's missed penalty killed Barça , for me , they weren't that good after. And you can see on both goals that their defence was sleeping . Cuenca wasn't good enough to fight with Ashley Cole.
You must admitt that Chelsea was lucky when Messi hit the post. Barça could not play their pass-pass game, because Chelsea was amazing . Cech did great saves . They should have say themselves :
"Stop losing time with our system , put everyone in attack , everyone goes for his own . "

raimondo90 12 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Messi had an average game due to the fact that Chelsea played the entire team to defend. Barca had no room to get near goal. It was a very frustrating game. I hope Chelsea doesn't play like that in the final for gods sake

Manshitty_are_shit 12 years ago
Manchester United, England 14 985

Cause Shakira give Pique VD?  Seriously top player shitty girlfriend lol. 
You can't win every match that's football we all bleed, But you pick up and start again !

Chelseaforlife 12 years ago
Chelsea, England 7 68

There is no thought , Brca  is the Best team and this time you just must accept this result to learn one or two with so many things happen on the pitch

VanTheMan 12 years ago
Arsenal 5 263

barca lack players to make a run.. sanchez did try to make a run for a through or lob ball but he's too small where as chelsea's defense are tall and huge.. they way that barca played is as if all their midfield and strikers are playing the midfield role.. they keep passing and passing at the edge of the box.. chelsea are fully aware of barca's gameplay and they perform a tight defense, blocking a cross nor shoot from barca's player.. players like pique or david villa which are strong to fight for the ball are absent which leaves puyol alone.. barca need a strong striker up front and that's what they lack which leads to defeat against real and chelsea.. they have an amazing gameplay but it doesnt work against strong teams with brilliant coaches like real and chelsea.. relying on messi alone is not wrong but it isnt necessary when fighting against BIG teams.. that's my opinion..
p/s : if players like soldado, RVP, PDcisse, giroud or ibra was in barcelona fc, chelsea are screwed..

naman93 12 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

@raIMONDO : has defending gone against the laws of football ?? 
chelsea defended well and counter attacked when they got a chance. i dont see that as a problem :O

GunnerGo 12 years ago
Arsenal, Venezuela 13 345

The problem here is not Chelsea, is Barça and you know it! If Chelsea was defending so good in the keeper area, they should try to shot from the outside no? is the same thing that sometimes happens with Arsenal, they keep the possesion and pass like in the ManCity game you remember? When Arteta shot from the outside we won that game. And they don't use the wingers lke they should as bloodred said, i defend the way barcelona plays, but they lost to a valid and well did tactic that can beat the teams, i don't know if they are going to do the same thing in the final, i don't think so, but i will take off my selfishness and i'll support Chelsea in that final.

kenkichiotaka 12 years ago
Manchester United, Japan 47 1894

I think it's because of Chelsea defended well and didn't let Messi create chances....

raimondo90 12 years ago

@naname93 I never said it was against any laws. Just stated that it was kinda lame. How would u feel like if bayern did that same strategy against Madrid and won? Personally I don't like it when any team does it. Just makes the match boring. 

GunnerGo 12 years ago

@raimondo and what do you want them to do? they were at Camp Nou, down with 10 men, i find it logical that they were defending. They were going to do the same thing with 11 men but it's not easy to stand up against ANY team with 10 men. And for me it wasn't boring, in any chance that Barcelona had i felt that my hearth was going to explode and oh my god how i screamed when Torres was going for Valdés.

raimondo90 12 years ago

@gunner having a ten man defense isn't really playing. I admit they defended well but how can u not defend well with 4 center backs 2 right backs and 2 left backs. Regardless we will see if Chelsea actually go out to play in the final. 

GunnerGo 12 years ago

@raimondo i don't really support this way of playing but it does give you results, the games that barcelona has lost this season were by this tactics if you see, i don't think that Chelsea is going to do the same thing in the final because is a Final, and in a final is now or never. I'm not  a Barcelona hater, but i think that their elimination will do a good thing for football, we will see a new UCL champion!

ramaboy10 12 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

i gues it was just luck and skill: we missed s many chances, i guess chelsea deserved to go through it was destiny