Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Samuel Eto’o signs for Everton on two-year deal.
AlexBatak 10 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Samuel Eto’o has completed a free transfer to Everton and could make his Goodison Park debut against his former club Chelsea on Saturday.

The 33-year-old has signed a two-year contract with Roberto Martínez’s side with the length of the deal on offer from Everton a factor in the striker’s decision. Eto’o had been earmarked for a move to Liverpool in the event of Brendan Rodgers cooling on Mario Balotelli but, with his former Internazionale team-mate sealing a £16m transfer to Anfield, he has moved to the other side of Stanley Park.

Eto’o, a Champions League winner with Barcelona (twice) and Internazionale, scored 12 goals in 34 appearances for Chelsea last season but was not offered an extension to his one-year contract at Stamford Bridge. José Mourinho had expressed reservations over the Cameroon international’s age during his time with Chelsea and their paths could cross on Saturday when the Londoners face Everton at Goodison.

Martínez has been keen to strengthen his strike-force this season with Everton having the extra demands of a Europa League campaign and little back-up for their £28m record signing Romelu Lukaku. Arouna Koné is still recovering from the knee injury that ruined his first season as an Everton player last year.

Eto’o had been seeking a weekly wage of six figures from Liverpool but, with Everton’s highest-paid players earning around £75,000 a week, is expected to be on similar terms albeit with a signing on fee as a free agent and the security of a two-year deal.

The four-times African footballer of the year, who passed his medical on Tuesday, said: “I have been very impressed by the style of play Everton adopt. I could see straight away that at this club I will have the opportunity to play football.

“I had the chance to speak with the manager over the last few days and we agreed that this was what we would do.

“I was impressed with his enthusiasm but also by the knowledge of football that Roberto Martínez carries, his vision of football and how he reads football. I still think I can learn a great deal from him here.”

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Samuel Eto’o has completed a free transfer to Everton and could make his Goodison Park debut against his former club Chelsea on Saturday.

The 33-year-old has signed a two-year contract with Roberto Martínez’s side with the length of the deal on offer from Everton a factor in the striker’s decision. Eto’o had been earmarked for a move to Liverpool in the event of Brendan Rodgers cooling on Mario Balotelli but, with his former Internazionale team-mate sealing a £16m transfer to Anfield, he has moved to the other side of Stanley Park.

Eto’o, a Champions League winner with Barcelona (twice) and Internazionale, scored 12 goals in 34 appearances for Chelsea last season but was not offered an extension to his one-year contract at Stamford Bridge. José Mourinho had expressed reservations over the Cameroon international’s age during his time with Chelsea and their paths could cross on Saturday when the Londoners face Everton at Goodison.

Martínez has been keen to strengthen his strike-force this season with Everton having the extra demands of a Europa League campaign and little back-up for their £28m record signing Romelu Lukaku. Arouna Koné is still recovering from the knee injury that ruined his first season as an Everton player last year.

Eto’o had been seeking a weekly wage of six figures from Liverpool but, with Everton’s highest-paid players earning around £75,000 a week, is expected to be on similar terms albeit with a signing on fee as a free agent and the security of a two-year deal.

The four-times African footballer of the year, who passed his medical on Tuesday, said: “I have been very impressed by the style of play Everton adopt. I could see straight away that at this club I will have the opportunity to play football.

“I had the chance to speak with the manager over the last few days and we agreed that this was what we would do.

“I was impressed with his enthusiasm but also by the knowledge of football that Roberto Martínez carries, his vision of football and how he reads football. I still think I can learn a great deal from him here.”

Comments
AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Lukaku be like: 'Woah! What's happening here?'

JuvE19 10 years ago
Juventus, Iraq 4 385

Do they really need him though? Should have used the money on someone else

CroatiaFan123 10 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Pretty sure they don't need Eto'o...

iamRDM 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 32 202

i am really curious how lukaku would react to this since he said he didnt like competition for a starting spot

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

@JuvE19 "Should have used the money on someone else"

They signed him up for Free.

spanish 10 years ago
Real Madrid, Spain 14 343

Alax they still have to pay his wages -_-

JuvE19 10 years ago
Juventus, Iraq 4 385

@AlexBatak, yes I know they signed him for FREE, but i what I meant was his wage

Wolfie 10 years ago Edited
Inter, Germany 94 1844

2 years for a 35 year old striker? 8|

• History

2 years for a 35 year old striker? :P

spanish 10 years ago
Real Madrid, Spain 14 343

lol the way Everton fc blurred out the chelsea kit out of Etoos picture :p

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

@Spanish and JuvE19 Everton can handle the wages. I thought you were talking about the transfer fee.

gibor365 10 years ago
Zenit St. Petersburg, Russia 0 43

It would be interesting to see him vs Chelsea this Sut :)

Vendetta 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, Egypt 202 3025

I hope he benches Lukaku and becomes Everton's main striker.

Wolfie 10 years ago Edited
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Bench their 25 million record signing? Dream on V..

• History

Their 25 million record signing? Dream on V..

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

I think Martinez is planning to play with 2 strikers upfront.

tiki_taka 10 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

^ This could be brilliant.

Wolfie 10 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Be afraid, be very afraid! They're going to tear the PL apart!!

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

That's a really nice drawing Wolfie, I also think that if they play together upfront they will be hard to defend against. That would be the best decision Martinez will ever take and he will not regret it.

gibor365 10 years ago
Zenit St. Petersburg, Russia 0 43

imho, Lukaku will start and Eto'o will replace him in 2nd time