Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Ronaldo to Al-Nassr
Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11432

Ronaldo officially signed with Al-Nassr of Saudi Arabia.

Thats pretty crazy, I honestly expected him to pull off some kind of masterclass in the WC and pull out some crazy move to a CL team. Or at the very least, a return to Sporting.

I'm gonna concede, this does sadden me a bit, I was hoping to see still a bit more of him in europe.

I mean, he did win everything he could at club level and there's no reason not to accept at this point but its certainly feel like he retiring earlier from European football than I would thought at least.

Thought?

Comments
DarthFooty 1 year ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

I feel his issues at Man Utd, and a bit at the World Cup, put off any CL teams that might have been interested. He is going to make a butt load of money, extend his brand, and ride out for as long as he can.

I agree, he has won everything he could, short of the WC. He has nothing left to prove.

It would have been fun to see him come to the MLS, but maybe that can still happen if/when Messi comes over. haha

tiki_taka 1 year ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

17 mil per month, Saudi Arabia got an advertising projects for him. It can't be only football. Imo he deserved one more year in CL problem is that he can't stand being benched. Good luck to him as the ultimate professional player he is he will still try to get the titles there.

SunFlash 1 year ago Edited
USA 19 3260

Ronaldo's camp made a lot of noise when Ten Haag came in, and it was pretty clear that Ronaldo was not going to work in the system and more importantly was unwilling to work in the system. Ten Haag dropped some discipline, Ronaldo seemed like he had accepted reality that he was no longer starting level...until that interview dropped.

Honestly, I think he was betting on having a great World Cup and getting onto a different team in the UCL. Obviously that didn't happen, literally no UCL team made an approach as far as I'm aware. For an egomaniac like Ronaldo, I don't think he fully believed that no UCL team wanted him. Not until reality happened, anyway.

In many ways I'm disappointed because Ronaldo was one of my favourite players, one of the reasons I grew up supporting United. I still believe for a period there he was the best player in the world. His legacy at United will never be what it was, can't see him being a legend at the club in the same way he was before. It's sad to see a once great player get confronted with harsh reality...unless they brought it on themselves. Which Ronaldo did.

EDIT:
I'm sure many of you have seen this scene before, but it's how I imagine that conversation with Ten Haag went...only unlike David Justice, Ronaldo threw the proverbial toys out of the pram.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Ronaldo's camp made a lot of noise when Ten Haag came in, and it was pretty clear that Ronaldo was not going to work in the system and more importantly was unwilling to work in the system. Ten Haag dropped some discipline, Ronaldo seemed like he had accepted reality that he was no longer starting level...until that interview dropped.

Honestly, I think he was betting on having a great World Cup and getting onto a different team in the UCL. Obviously that didn't happen, literally no UCL team made an approach as far as I'm aware. For an egomaniac like Ronaldo, I don't think he fully believed that no UCL team wanted him. Not until reality happened, anyway.

In many ways I'm disappointed because Ronaldo was one of my favourite players, one of the reasons I grew up supporting United. I still believe for a period there he was the best player in the world. His legacy at United will never be what it was, can't see him being a legend at the club in the same way he was before. It's sad to see a once great player get confronted with harsh reality...unless they brought it on themselves. Which Ronaldo did.

Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11432

@DarthFooty It be amazing to have him retire in the MLS after his time in Saudi Arabia is over, especially if somehow Messi also joined. This would also do a world of good to North Americain Football.

@tiki For sure, the timing make me thing its very much in relation to possibly holding the World Cup in 2030 but even without that, having one of the world most recognisable athlete playing in your country will do great for your international image.

Honestly, I think he was betting on having a great World Cup and getting onto a different team in the UCL.

@Sunflash This is honestly what I think he expected and I honestly thought that what he would actually end up doing. Tbh, his world cup was nowhere near as bad as some people would say it been. But not good enough to convince anyone of signing him with his wage.

Really sad to see how he sabotaged his legacy a bit at United with the interview but I hope people end up remembering his first time around in the long run.

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1859

Cr7 can now ensure no one can get near his goalscoring numbers. He made the right decision as he just needs to win the world cup so its unnecessary and a waste to continue in Europe whilst being benched a lot.

Algerino 1 year ago
Napoli, Algeria 6 845

I would have taken that money. Say what you want but when you are retired your stats are going to stay in the history books.

But the money will buy you stuff.

Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11432

@Algerino Yeah, I don't think anyone really blame him for choosing the money, especially at his point in his career. I guess we just regret he reached that point in his career when he was still talking as if he was going to go strong in Europe for a while yet. After his interview, I fully expected him to prove all the hater (me included to a certain extend) wrong in the World Cup.

@Footy_Watch How many goal do you think he will score in Saudi Arabia? He's supposed to be there 2 seasons and a half.

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1859

I gave no clue like most ppl about Saudi league but I would expect cr7 to score a minimum of one goal every game.

Apparently cr7 may have a clause to be able to play for Newcastle. I hope Newcastle get into the ucl and cr7 joins them next season.

quikzyyy 1 year ago
Arsenal 429 9002

no they don't and even if it somehow did, this Newcastle team is too good for Ronaldo and they don't need to waste money or team atmosphere with his ego

DarthFooty 1 year ago

The Newcastle clause is just a rumor from sources here and there, but you never know. Marketing-wise, it would be an interesting move for Newcastle, but I agree, I am not sure they need him on the pitch. It might cause more harm than good with the chemistry of the current team.

As for his goals in the Saudi league............. If he has players around him to get him the ball in good spots, he will score goals. He is still a finisher, but all the teams leading up to this one have had top talent on them. If they can't get him the ball or if he is getting it way deeper than what will help, he might not light it up as much. I wish him success.

Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11432

Yeah, the Newcastle clause bit is propably false, I mean, it be crazy and a really bizarre contract. There already source saying it false so I honestly doubt there any kind of truth to it.

As for Ronaldo goal tally, I think it will depend on the quality of the chance he's being feeded by his teamate. I also checked and the average for top scorer in the saudi arabian league is around 24-27 goals a season. Think if Ronaldo stay motivated and consider this like a real challenge (and not just a pre-retirement), he should hit around 40-50 goals. We'll see but I'd reckon those number would be quite satisfactory.

Don't forget Saudi Arabia care mostly for his reputation and how he can influence domestic player to up their work ethic. Goal scored would be a nice plus but it might not matter all that much in the end.

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1859

Ronaldo didn't score in his first game. Looks like he will struggle to increase his all time tally

Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11432

@Footy Maybe you are right, then again, its quite early yet. I think if he's give him till the end of the season to get himself familiar with the league and his team-mates, in the two next seasons, he might be much more clinical.

Footy_watch 1 year ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1859

Chose the perfect game to watch live and Cr7 scores 4 goals, siiuu

DarthFooty 1 year ago

He went off! He looked quick and lethal, almost like he stepped back in time a bit. Very cool!

Emobot7 1 year ago
538 11432

Also worth noting he got only 1 pen among those four goals, thats an hat-trick in open play. Really great to see. Hope he keep this up against tougher team as well.

Al Wehda, the team he played against are propably one of the 4 worst one this season in the league but that shouldn't take away from a convincing performance for Ronaldo. Hopefully, he can take that momentum and keep on doing well against greater club.