Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Real Madrid Legend - Cristiano Ronaldo
Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

At the age of 28, Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo has officially established himself as one of Real Madrid's greatest ever players, and one of history's best in his positions. He is easily the world's best player behind Lionel Messi, who is recognized by pundits to be the world's greatest ever player. It is a shame that he lives in the same generation as Messi, since if he was born in any other generation, he would've picked up three or four Ballon d'Ors and etched his name into the history books as one of the best in his generation.

Since arriving from Manchester United for a fee of 80 Million Pounds (a world record), Cristiano Ronaldo came in at an unsteady time at the Spanish capital. Real Madrid were not enjoying the most illustrious time in their history, and the re-appointment of Fiorentino Perez as Real Madrid president caused unrest among the Madrid faithful, but they were nevertheless pleased with Ronaldo's arrival, since most of the plaudits at the time were going to their great rivals Barcelona (a team managed by Josep Guardiola and Lionel Messi, two legends of the game).

He scored 33 goals in 35 games with Madrid in his first season, and helped Madrid rack a total of 96 points under Manuel Pellegrini, but not enough to win Barcelona. Again, Madrid finished another season trophyless. Perez then decided to appoint Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho to take the helms of Madrid, a man who had just come off his second Champions League victory. And Ronaldo changed completely under Mourinho.

As Mourinho came, he brought stability to the squad. Mourinho changed Ronaldo quite a bit. Ronaldo became more mature in his play, and relying more on tactical reasoning than just doing stepovers whenever he got the ball (something he was rather disliked for in England). He learned that the team's priority came first, he became more mature with his words to the press as well (as he was labelled as "arrogant" before, and rightly so). And he became the star of Madrid. All of Madrid's famous counterattacks became focused around him. Whenever Madrid were on the counter, it would be Madrid's #7 who will be sprinting down the left flank at enough speed to cover 100 meters in 10 seconds, and putting the ball into the back of the net at the end of the play.

Their first Clasico went horrid as they were hammered 5-0 at the Camp Nou, but it was a lesson well learned for Madrid and Ronaldo. Ronaldo went on to score 53 goals in 54 appearances that season, and helped Madrid win the Copa del Rey (in the final, he scored a header in extra time against Barcelona).

In his third season at Madrid, and his second under Mourinho, Ronaldo upped another gear. He went ballistic in all competitions, and helped Madrid to the semi finals of the Champions League for the second year running, but had his penalty saved brilliantly by Manuel Neuer in a shootout against Bayern (which they lost). He led Madrid to their first La Liga title in 4 years, and helped his team record 100 points in the league, the first time a team in Spain reached triple digits. He had finally dethroned Barcelona (albeit not for long. Lionel would not let his team live in Ronaldo's shadow the year after). He also scored a record 60 goals, the most a Real Madrid player has ever scored in a single season.

The following season, Ronaldo scored two goals in a two legged affair against Barcelona in the Copa de Espana, which Madrid won on away goals. He's had a horrid time with the team in the league, but he is (so far) the joint highest scorer in the Champions League with 8 goals.

The point I'm trying to make is... Cristiano Ronaldo is not Lionel Messi. He will never be. But does he have to be as good as Messi? Does he really?

Ronaldo is an unbelievably talented player. He's won so much, it's just a shame all credit goes to Messi nowadays. He's come second for the Ballon d'Or as much times as Leo has won it (four), and he's come second to Leo twice. Leo may be the talisman for Barcelona, but Ronaldo is the same for Real. In the 2012-13 season, the Bernabeu crowd has come to love him and adore him, and put him up in the ranks beside Raul, di Stefano, Puskas, Butragueno and the other all-time greats. And rightly so. He's become Madrid's sixth all-time scorer, and in only 3 and a half seasons as well.

Ronaldo will forever remain in Messi's shadow. It also doesn't help that he's older than Messi by two years, meaning that when Ronnie will be 30, Messi will still be well in his prime. But the best thing Ronaldo can do to leave his legacy behind forever is retire as a Real Madrid player. He is already hailed as a legend, and only when his career finally comes to an end will we realize how much this man has accomplished in his life. Truly one of the best left wingers the world has ever offered.

Major Awards

EPL Title - x3
FA Cup
League Cup - x2
Champions League
Club World Cup
La Liga
Copa del Rey
Copa de Espana

International Awards

World Cup fourth place - 2006

EURO Cup Runners up - 2004
EURO Cup Bronze - 2012

Major Individual Awards

Ballon d'Or - 2008

Ballon d'Or Silver award - 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012

FIFA World Player of the Year - 2008

Premier League Golden Boot - 2007-08

La Liga Pichichi Award - 2011-12

European Golden Shoe - 2007-08, 2011-12

EURO 2012 Top Scorer - 3 goals (joint)

UEFA Team Of The Year - 2004, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12

FIFPro Team World XI - 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12

RECORDS (just look how close he is to Messi, all while Messi plays in a central striking role and Ronaldo as a left winger)

Most Goals in a Calender Year (fifth)

Lionel Messi - 91

Gerd Muller - 85

Pele - 75

Zico - 71

C. Ronaldo - 63

Only player to win the Golden Shoe in TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES

First ever player to score in 6 different Clasicos

Highest striking rate to win EPL top scorer (31 goals in 34 games)

Most goals scored in a single Real Madrid season - 60

Most goals in a single UEFA CL season with RM - 10 (joint with Raul Gonzalez)

Real Madrid's SIXTH highest all time scorer (188 goals in 186 games)

El Clasico seventh highest goal-scorer - 12 goals

Comments
Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Forgot to mention that he also improved a lot in his diving. He almost never dives now, and only appears to "dive" when he expects heavy contact but doesn't receive it in the end. I've only seen him dive once this whole season.

And here's a video to all Ronaldo AND Messi fans. :D

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

And I also meant to say that he's come second to Leo for the Ballon d'Or THREE times, not twice. Silly me. This is what happens when you don't proofread. >.<

TheGame 11 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

Great post mate! I always wondered when people say that it is a shame Ronaldo and Messi are born in the same generation, as Ronaldo would've won the Ballon d'Or three more times. What if Ronaldo and Messi need each other to reach great the level they are at presently? What if without Ronaldo, Messi wouldn't have been that great of a player and vice versa? There is no straightforward answer, but it's worth a thought. Coca Cola and Pepsi need each other, otherwise they'll both be mediocre. Economics 101.  

TheGame 11 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

*didn't mean to say "great"*

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

I really respect what Ronaldo has achieved, and I used to be one of those doubters, back when he was still young. His step-overs really were kinda silly (sort of like Neymar now) and useless, but along with many people I made the mistake of thinking that's all he could do. I'm very happy to have been proven wrong.

I may still never forgive him for what he did in 2006 against England, but he really has earned his status as one of the world's two best players, and would walk into any team in the world. Especially since at Barcelona the players have been learning the same system for years, for Ronaldo to give them a run for their money (almost single-handedly at times) is nothing short of legendary.

It would have been nice if Messi had mentioned Ronaldo in his acceptance speech for his 4th Ballon d'Or. Ah well.

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

Great content, Dynastian. Thanks for sharing. :)

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Nice stuff!! Do one for Xavi, Casillas or Puyol please!

JuanMata10 11 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

I actually like his style of playing more than Messi's ;)

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@JuanMata

That's a manner of perspective, but I'm happy you appreciate his hard work!

@ rama

I may do Lionel Messi next, but I'm still working on my Player Comparison. ;)

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

@dynastian for you'r player copmarison do Higuain VS Benzema!!!

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@rama

Hmmm... It would be a great comparison, but the problem is that they're both Real Madrid players, so I'm not quite sure most people would enjoy it. :/

KingHenry 11 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

It's sad for ronaldo that he was born at the same time as messi, but it's better for us football fans.
One of my football dream would be messi and ronaldo playing together at the same club at some point of their career.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@KingHenry

Never gonna happen. These two don't look at each other, they don't talk to each other, they've never shaken hands after games, and Messi doesn't even acknowledge Ronaldo. So there's no way you can see them on the same team unless it's a charity game. But don't worry, it's not only you who dreams to see them playing together. ;)

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

Are you referring to his wink to the Portuguese bench? Because I think that what Rooney did to Carvalho was just plain disgraceful. He should've gotten the red card either way.

Lodatz 11 years ago

@Dynast: I mean rushing over, waving an imaginary card in the ref's face, when there was pretty much nothing wrong with what Rooney did (Carvalho was pulling him off balance and he stepped to steady himself -- please don't tell me we need to fetch the video to prove it :p), causing Rooney to shove him in outrage that his 'friend' was doing this to him.

And then winking about it, to his bench, as though it had all gone to plan. Which it blatantly had.

Rooney was sent off for the shove, not the fumbling tackle. 

Lodatz 11 years ago

Here it is anyway:

It was disgraceful, alright. Just not from Rooney.

Lodatz 11 years ago

Remember this, too, at the kick-off?

Look at his team-mate just grinning like a bastard at Rooney. They knew exactly what they were doing. Dynast. 

raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

When Ronaldo played in the EPL he was the cockiest, most arrogant and digusting player there. Glad he matured a bit more.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

He rushed over to the referee alright, but what Rooney did was shameful. I don't see Ronaldo waving an "imaginary red card" by the way. I just saw him rushing over, winking at the bench, and head butting Rooney. Which was all very shameful from Ronaldo's part, but Rooney was just as bad.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Anyways, Ronaldo is not who he used to be. He's a true class professional now, and he doesn't do those shameful things anymore. Mourinho's got him perfectly under control. And he's rightfully earned my respect now as one of the best players I've ever seen.