Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

RDM's Chelsea Future is in Doubt
awais007 11 years ago
Chelsea, Pakistan 178 922

Chelsea weigh up moves for Avram Grant and Rafael Benitez

Chelsea are considering turning to either Avram Grant or Rafael Benítez as their temporary manager should Roman Abramovich decide to sack Roberto Di Matteo.

Pep Guardiola remains Abramovich’s first-choice to take over from Di Matteo who on Tuesday night said he took “full responsibility” for a 3-0 defeat to Juventus in Turin that threw his future into further doubt and the club in danger of becoming the first Champions League holders to fall at the group stage. If Guardiola insists he wants to stick to his plan of taking a season’s sabbatical from football — and not return to management before next summer — Abramovich will look for a short-term replacement.

Benítez refused to accept a similar scenario when Andre Villas-Boas was sacked in March — insisting he wanted to be made a permanent manager on at least an 18-month contract. He may be able to persuade Abramovich to agree to that deal now, especially if Guardiola rules out any move to Chelsea, and it is understood there has been direct contact between the pair.

Grant is readily available and despite being sacked by Chelsea in 2008, when he took the club to the Champions League final, having amazingly succeeded Jose Mourinho, it is believed he would be keen to return.

Either appointment would not be welcomed by Chelsea supporters — who will be stunned that Grant is in the frame - unless they were in the short-term with Guardiola then taking over at the end of the season. Abramovich has a high-regard for Benítez although he is not popular with Chelsea fans.

Di Matteo, despite winning the Champions League, has never convinced Abramovich he is the right man. The club’s defence of the trophy won is now out of their hands, with Juventus needing only a point in the final group match at Shakhtar Donetsk to join the Ukrainians in the last 16. Chelsea will face FC Nordsjaelland at home needing to win and hope.

Abramovich is understood to have discussed Di Matteo’s position with his advisors following the league defeat at West Bromwich Albion, and this result will only increase tension around the manager’s future.

They face league leaders Manchester City on Sunday at Stamford Bridge, with more hawkish observers wondering if Di Matteo will still be in charge. A third defeat in eight days could make his position even more precarious, with Abramovic likely to intensify his pursuit of Pep Guardiola.

A decision on Di Matteo’s future comes at a crucial time in the season, with the Club World Cup in Japan coming three days after the final Champions League game.

Di Matteo accepted responsibility for the defeat, which came after the manager omitted Fernando Torres from the starting XI for the first time this season, and said he would continue to work for the team.

Asked if he thought he would be in charge for the final group game in a fortnight he said: “At the moment, I think, with the team we are all in it together. I’m responsible for the results. At the moment I am here and I think I will be for the future,” he said. “It’s probably not a question you should ask me but, as far as I’m concerned, I’ll keep working.

“I’m responsible for the result. I’m responsible for the performance. It’s a negative evening for us. If anyone has to take the blame, it’s me. I selected a team I was convinced was the right team to win against Juventus, or get at least a draw, so the blame belongs to me.”

Di Matteo’s selection saw Eden Hazard was pushed forward to lead the attack in Torres’s place, with Cesar Azpilicueta deployed on the right side of midfield to provide cover for Branislav Ivanovic. The selection failed to make Chelsea appreciably harder to break down, though Hazard, Oscar and Juan Mata did offer occasional threat on the break.

The omission of Torres was a risk given Abramovich’s fondness for his £50million indulgence.

Di Matteo defended the omission, saying: “I was convinced it was the right selection which is why I decided that. I thought we did create some problems for them. But my conviction was 100 per cent to go with this team.”

Comments
Heisinburg 11 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

Why is this news?

awais007 11 years ago
Chelsea, Pakistan 178 922

Arsene Wenger on Di Matteo

"We live in a world that is completely emotional. You have one defeat and you listen to people: they say 'get him out, get the player out, get the manager out'. Now they speak of Roberto Di Matteo. He's just won the Champions League and the FA Cup three months ago!"

Jeffrey_Hazard 11 years ago
Chelsea, France 81 456

i think it that last season was the players that made us win the trophy,not rdm,most of the players hate avb and after he went the players were really happy,but benitez and grant?i think eddie newton or steve holland would be great,but di matteo should stop playing defensively and keep on riding luck like last season its getting us nowhere,i think if he dosent win next games most likely rdm will go,thats how chelsea is

man_utd 11 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

He's sacked