Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Rating Mourinho First Season at Roma
Emobot7 2 years ago Edited
538 11426

So guys, how do you feel about Mou first season at Roma? Obviously the fans are pretty happy about winning the Europa Conference League and thats fine but what about the rest?

They finished 6th in Serie A, 1 point behind Lazio and 1 point before Fiorentina, which permited them to secure Europa League before the final.

They also got eliminated in the Copa Italia quarter final vs future winner Inter.

In the season, there were a couple of notable controversial results as well like 5-2 loss in pre-season to Betish (in which 3 Roman player were sent off and Mou as well), a 3-0 loss to local rival Lazio, a 6-1 loss to Bodo/Glimt or a 4-3 defeat to Juventus despite leading 3-1 at around 70'.

Mou also had some controversy with the ref and sometime his players but he generally got out of them well by building a narrative of "us against the world" thanks to the media as well.

Personally, I feel the Roma had better results toward the end of the season and ended on a positive note and with good momentum, here hoping they take it into the next season.

As for Mou this season, I think this job is a good fit for him, he seem to be on good term with the media and the fans and despite his team maybe not reaching the height they could maybe have, he certainly took his chance and made history for the club especially by winning the first ever conference league final.

Thought?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So guys, how do you feel about Mou first season at Roma? Obviously the fans are pretty happy about winning the Europa Conference League and thats fine but what about the rest?

They finished 6th in Serie A, 1 point behind Lazio and 1 point before Fiorentina, which permited them to secure Europa League before the final.

They also got eliminated in the Copa Italia quarter final vs future winner Inter.

In the season, there were a couple of notable controversial results like 5-2 loss in pre-season to Betish (in which 3 Roman player were sent off and Mou as well), a 3-0 loss to local rival Lazio, a 6-1 loss to Bodo/Glimt or a 4-3 defeat to Juventus despite leading 3-1 at around 70'.

Mou also had some controversy with the ref and sometime his players but he generally got out of them well by building a narrative of "us against the world" thanks to the media as well.

Personally, I feel the Roma had better results toward the end of the season and ended on a positive note and with good momentum, here hoping they take it into the next season.

As for Mou this season, I think this job is a good fit for him, he seem to be on good term with the media and the fans and despite his team maybe not reaching the height they could maybe have, he certainly took his chance and made history for the club especially by winning the first ever conference league final.

Thought?

Comments
SunFlash 2 years ago
USA 19 3260

Win you hire Mou, you win trophies. That's what he does. Roma seem ecstatic with him and they were a club slipping into irrelevance that with Mou feel like one of the big boys again. You can't buy that kind buy-in from the fanbase.

Could it have been better? Sure, they could have won a treble. But let's not set ridiculous and unwarranted standards. It was a great first season.

(My POV may or may not be biased by two of my friends crying in the stands after they beat Feyenoord)

DarthFooty 2 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

How many teams, who didn't have a coaching change, nor issues with the club's recent run of form, win a trophy?

As Sun mentioned, Mou helps you win those shiny statues, and he does it in such a way that it draws all attention to himself, shifting focus away from his players.

Additionally, dropping out of Copa Italia against the eventual winners say's something as well.

I think they had a solid season, but make no mistake, having Mou does come with expectations. If he doesn't keep that momentum and win more shiny things, we will be having a different discussion then. haha

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11426

@Sunflash You are right of course, I mean, most people, remember the Roma team which used to compete for top 4 and play the CL against big team like Barca and Liverpool but let be honest, this isn't this Roma team anymore. So yeah, Mou haven't done poorly for himself this season with what he has.

@DarthyFooty Thats very much how it work with Mou isn't, hopefully he does keep that momentum and keep up a good popularity among the Roman fans and his board for I think thats one of the most important thing. He look like he doing pretty good on that front, so for me, he just need to improve his team performance a bit to keep things up. Getting a CL spot next season would do the trick nicely as well as going far into the Europa League and who know, could go as far as win it too.

Algerino 2 years ago
Napoli, Algeria 6 844

They need a better squad. A manager can only do so much. It was a decent year for him. Still I never felt like roma was a threat.

Emobot7 2 years ago Edited
538 11426

@Algerino Thats true, like I said earlier, this is not the Roma squad who used to compete in the CL with the like of Barca or Liverpool. They seriously need to improve the quality of the team if they are aiming for better than what they did last season.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Algerino Thats true, like I said earlier, this is not the Roma squad who used to compete in the CL with the like of Barca or Liverpool. They seriously need to improve the quality of the team if they are aiming for better than what they did in the past.

iHEARTfootball 2 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Being it his first season, I think it's not fair to select the last option and conclude it as a bad season.

Roma hasn't won Serie A for a very long time but winning the Conference cup under Mourinho is still quite big. That said, Serie A should be his priority next season and clearly there are a lot of things to improve on.

7/10 overall, I rate his first season, but I'm expecting a better league result from him and Roma, next season.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11426

@iHEART I kinda agree but I think its time like these that Mourinho really will be tested, I mean, he generally got a relatively large budget in most of the team he had success with (maybe not Porto but that team was stacked).

Roma current budget is... widely different from that, sadly. So I do expect him to blame lack of support from his board if next season doesn't go too well. Especially if Roma transfer window doesn't change soon cause right now they haven't been too active...

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11426

Yo, Dybala been seriously linked to Roma now, this might be exactly Mou needed for his formation, especially if he want to implant something akin to 3-4-1-2 where Dybala could play as second striker or behind 2 other players as a playmaker. I think that could work quite well honestly. Would be a very solid first signing.

iHEARTfootball 2 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Terrific signing for Mourinho and Roma. Without a doubt.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11426

@iHEARTfootball Definetly curious to see him play under Mourinho. This Roma side feel pretty solid in attack tbh.

tuan_jinn 2 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I think he did really well, i did expect a but better but he brought trophy, that what he does best. He is still among a few that can do that everywhere he goes...