Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

PSG vs Chelsea 1st leg, in depth preview, prediction , update.
Marcus2011 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Chelsea
will be heading into their UEFA Champions League second round tie with a
lot more confidence after this weekend than when the draw was made back in
December.The Blues had the weekend off to recover from Wednesday’s
89th-minute win over Everton at Stamford Bridge, whilst the FA Cup fifth round
took place.On Saturday evening, nine-man Paris Saint-Germain blew a late 2-0
lead to draw at home to Caen as Laurent Blanc’s side suffered four injuries.

Team News**Paris
Saint-Germain**

Yohan Cabaye, Marquinhos, Serge Aurier and Lucas Moura all limped off at the weekend,
although only Lucas is a regular in Blanc’s first team. Marquinhos has started
14 of PSG’s 25 Ligue 1 fixtures this season but only three in the Champions League, with David Luiz and Thiago Luiz the preferred option.Javier Pastore is also out injured for the defending French
champions.

Chelsea JoséMourinho’s side were late winners when these two met in the quarter-final last
season. His squad has been greatly improved this season and are currently seven
points clear at the top of the Premier League.Paris Saint-Germain dominated the French league last season but
head into Tuesday’s fixture in third position despite spending £50 million on
David Luiz from over the summer and not losing any key players.

The Portuguese manager only has John Obi Mikel ruled out, although
Oscar is a doubt, as Chelsea head into the first leg with a much healthier
squad.

Predicted Lineups

Lucas Moura would be a big loss for the hosts if he is not passed fit. However, the attacking trio they have in his place aren’t too shabby. Zlatan Ibrahimović has proven himself at the highest level over the years, Edinson Cavani is a top player and Ezequiel Lavezzi is targeted by a number of top teams as he is often a backup in Paris. They all know where they back of the net is. Laurent Blanc’s side play a 4-3-3 with three central midfielders. Blaise Matuidi offers a bundle of energy, Marco Verratti is a talent but very rarely involved in the goals and does give a few cheap fouls away in his own half. Thiago Motta is a talented and experienced protector of the back four. Mourinho will probably see David Luiz as a big vulnerability in the Paris Saint-Germain team and knows his game well. Gregory van der Wiel has not been in the best of form of late. He’s tasked with facing Eden Hazard.

Petr Čech started midweek as Thibaut Courtois has made a couple of errors of late. Mourinho did say he wanted
Čech’s experience to face Everton but we think he’ll retain his place for this
match. We’re going with the experienced Gary Cahill to start ahead of Kurt
Zouma too. Ramires to play alongside Nemanja Matić to protect the back
four whilst Cesc Fàbregas plays with the three attacking midfielders behind
Diego Costa.

**Key Matchups

Eden Hazard vs Gregory van der Wiel**

The Chelsea star is in a good place to put in a man of the match performance.
We’re assuming Serge Aurier doesn’t recover from his injury at the weekend and
that Gregory van der Wiel goes back into the starting XI. The Dutch right-back
has been a good player over the years but cannot be expected to be the big
attacking threat he has previously been whilst having the duties of keeping
Eden Hazard quiet. He’s also out of form of late so Hazard may tear him apart
at the Parc des Princes.

Diego Costa vs David Luiz

Few were in praise of David Luiz when he left Chelsea in the summer. Many
considered the Brazilian a liability for the Blues in the most competitive
football division in world football. Diego Costa hasn’t played for a few weeks
following his three-match ban. The Spanish striker is fully fit and his
movement should see him find space from the former Chelsea defender in the
middle of PSG’s defence with Luiz not being the best marker. Luiz is also poor
at marking from set pieces which is another area for Chelsea to take advantage
of.

Midfield vs. midfield - The midfield battle is always important to every match, but the dynamic of these two going head to head is fairly fascinating. On PSG's side, you've got three midfielders who, as a group, are stronger in defense than attack, but are certainly no slouch going forward, especially with Marco Verratti pinging passes around. For Chelsea, you've got the opposite - a bias towards attack, but plenty of ability when the Blues are out of possession, with Nemanja Matic in particular capable of stopping anything that comes near him. Any advantages one midfield get over the other in this match will be of the slimmest of margins, but will prove huge for the outcome.

Zlatan Ibrahimović vs Gary Cahill

Zlatan Ibrahimović’s record against English side‘s in
the Champions League is quite shabby with only three goals in 16 appearances,
and all of those goals coming against Arsenal. He only got 68 minutes over the
two legs last season due to injury. His threat shouldn’t be ignored as the
Swede provides moments of magic and goals out of nowhere. He should have decent
supply in this match, mainly from the wings.

Edinson Cavani vs Branislav Ivanovic - This might just be the single most intriguing one-on-one matchup on the pitch. Ivanovic has been an excellent fullback for Chelsea for some time now, but even in the Premier League it's rare for him to face a winger with even a modicum of the athleticism and power that Cavani possesses. Ivanovic is used to being able to overpower his opponents, but that won't be an option here. Cavani's going to do a lot of moving around as opposed to staying on the left, and if Ivanovic has one weakness, it's dealing with diagonal balls towards his marker.

Prediction:
Paris Saint-Germain 1-2 Chelsea

Neither side have been at their best in 2015 but we’re leaning towards Chelsea
to take a big advantage back with them to Stamford Bridge. Expecting José
Mourinho to have a game plan for his side to get the better of both David Luiz
and Gregory van der Wiel in particular , as well as set pieces. PSG haven’t
been convincing in their own league of late and should Lucas Moura not be fit
it’s a massive loss in creativity.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Chelsea
will be heading into their UEFA Champions League second round tie with a
lot more confidence after this weekend than when the draw was made back in
December.

The Blues had the weekend off to recover from Wednesday’s
89th-minute win over Everton at Stamford Bridge, whilst the FA Cup fifth round
took place.

On Saturday evening, nine-man Paris Saint-Germain blew a late 2-0
lead to draw at home to Caen as Laurent Blanc’s side suffered four injuries.

Team News

Paris
Saint-Germain

Yohan
Cabaye, Marquinhos, Serge Aurier and Lucas Moura all limped off at the weekend,
although only Lucas is a regular in Blanc’s first team. Marquinhos has started
14 of PSG’s 25 Ligue 1 fixtures this season but only
three in the Champions League, with David Luiz and Thiago Luiz the preferred
option.

Javier Pastore is also out injured for the defending French
champions.

Chelsea

José
Mourinho’s side were late winners when these two met in the quarter-final last
season. His squad has been greatly improved this season and are currently seven
points clear at the top of the Premier League.

Paris Saint-Germain dominated the French league last season but
head into Tuesday’s fixture in third position despite spending £50 million on
David Luiz from over the summer and not losing any key players.

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
JA
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

The Portuguese manager only has John Obi Mikel ruled out, although
Oscar is a doubt, as Chelsea head into the first leg with a much healthier
squad.

Predicted Lineups

Lucas Moura would be a big loss for the hosts if he is not passed fit. However, the attacking trio they have in his place aren’t too shabby. Zlatan Ibrahimović has proven himself at the highest level over the years, Edinson Cavani is a top player and Ezequiel Lavezzi is targeted by a number of top teams as he is often a backup in Paris. They all know where they back of the net is. Laurent Blanc’s side play a 4-3-3 with three central midfielders. Blaise Matuidi offers a bundle of energy, Marco Verratti is a talent but very rarely involved in the goals and does give a few cheap fouls away in his own half. Thiago Motta is a talented and experienced protector of the back four. Mourinho will probably see David Luiz as a big vulnerability in the Paris Saint-Germain team and knows his game well. Gregory van der Wiel has not been in the best of form of late. He’s tasked with facing Eden Hazard.

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
JA
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Petr Čech started midweek as Thibaut
Courtois has made a couple of errors of late. Mourinho did say he wanted
Čech’s experience to face Everton but we think he’ll retain his place for this
match. We’re going with the experienced Gary Cahill to start ahead of Kurt
Zouma too. Ramires to play alongside Nemanja Matić to protect the back
four whilst Cesc Fàbregas plays with the three attacking midfielders behind
Diego Costa.

Key Matchups

Eden Hazard vs Gregory van der Wiel

The Chelsea star is in a good place to put in a man of the match performance.
We’re assuming Serge Aurier doesn’t recover from his injury at the weekend and
that Gregory van der Wiel goes back into the starting XI. The Dutch right-back
has been a good player over the years but cannot be expected to be the big
attacking threat he has previously been whilst having the duties of keeping
Eden Hazard quiet. He’s also out of form of late so Hazard may tear him apart
at the Parc des Princes.

Diego Costa vs David Luiz

Few were in praise of David Luiz when he left Chelsea in the summer. Many
considered the Brazilian a liability for the Blues in the most competitive
football division in world football. Diego Costa hasn’t played for a few weeks
following his three-match ban. The Spanish striker is fully fit and his
movement should see him find space from the former Chelsea defender in the
middle of PSG’s defence with Luiz not being the best marker. Luiz is also poor
at marking from set pieces which is another area for Chelsea to take advantage
of.

Midfield vs. midfield - The midfield battle is always important to every match, but the dynamic of these two going head to head is fairly fascinating. On PSG's side, you've got three midfielders who, as a group, are stronger in defense than attack, but are certainly no slouch going forward, especially with Marco Verratti pinging passes around. For Chelsea, you've got the opposite - a bias towards attack, but plenty of ability when the Blues are out of possession, with Nemanja Matic in particular capable of stopping anything that comes near him. Any advantages one midfield get over the other in this match will be of the slimmest of margins, but will prove huge for the outcome.

Zlatan Ibrahimović vs Gary Cahill

Zlatan Ibrahimović’s record against English side‘s in
the Champions League is quite shabby with only three goals in 16 appearances,
and all of those goals coming against Arsenal. He only got 68 minutes over the
two legs last season due to injury. His threat shouldn’t be ignored as the
Swede provides moments of magic and goals out of nowhere. He should have decent
supply in this match, mainly from the wings.

Edinson Cavani vs Branislav Ivanovic - This might just be the single most intriguing one-on-one matchup on the pitch. Ivanovic has been an excellent fullback for Chelsea for some time now, but even in the Premier League it's rare for him to face a winger with even a modicum of the athleticism and power that Cavani possesses. Ivanovic is used to being able to overpower his opponents, but that won't be an option here. Cavani's going to do a lot of moving around as opposed to staying on the left, and if Ivanovic has one weakness, it's dealing with diagonal balls towards his marker.

Prediction:
Paris Saint-Germain 1-2 Chelsea

Neither side have been at their best in 2015 but we’re leaning towards Chelsea
to take a big advantage back with them to Stamford Bridge. Expecting José
Mourinho to have a game plan for his side to get the better of both David Luiz
and Gregory van der Wiel in particular , as well as set pieces. PSG haven’t
been convincing in their own league of late and should Lucas Moura not be fit
it’s a massive loss in creativity.

Comments
quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Zlatan off form? He played really good. But Lavezzi was kinda invisible. Luiz 50M? Nah, Chelsea did best when they sold him. Chelsea weak point today was left side. Courtois was once again fantastic for Chelsea.

netsten 9 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

Verratti, Ibrahimovic, Matuidi and Cavani for PSG

Courtois, Ivanovic and Cahill for Chelsea

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Don't think quikzyyy was trolling because that bus crash actually happened.

About the game: Cavani was great today, as I thought he would be. Impressed by Zlatan as well. Overall I think we should be very glad that we got away with a draw here. Will be a much different game at the Bridge.

shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

there you go with the pen, let it load a bit:

raimondo90 9 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Clear penalty not called.. PSG should have won 2-1. Chelsea was pretty much just defending and hoping to survive. Very poor considering they lead the BPL and played against Frances 3rd placed team. I know this is mous tactics and stuff, but really i expected a better show, especially attacking football from a team hailed as one of the bests.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

What the hell was Ramires thinking during that play? What an idiotic player.

Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

^He actually played very well... and played off that move smoothly as well. What an idiotic referee is what I would say, he was 2 meters away from the play and even claimed there was nothing there.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tuanis

The point I was trying to make was that Ramires nearly cost his team the match with a stupid foul in the box that would've gotten him booked and a penalty given for Pastore. There was no threat in that play, a foul was unnecessary. It's like Ramos vs. Garcia in the 2-0 loss to Atletico. Ramos' foul was unnecessary, and duely punished. We probably lost because of that penalty, and Ramires could've done something similar.

Marcus2011 9 years ago

Honestly, I say we are fortunate to be with a draw . Courtois once again MOTM and great response to Petr Cech's performance against Everton . That is what I like to see . Two world class goalkeepers keeping each other on the toes. Our defense was bit shaky but the goal created and scored by our defenders , just might be one of the best goals of CL season .

Ramires move was very dumb especially when referee is only few meters away . Idk if it can be counted as penalty, maybe that is why he did not want to call it foul , so it won't be decisive penalty . Referee was very lenient . So many fouls were left unpunished and only few yellows I thought there should have been more . More than anything , I was sick of watching how Hazard was being kicked around like a ball .

Overall , PSG should be kicking themselves for not finishing those chances and simply hating the fact that Courtois was fantastic. I think draw is still wide open. Chelsea can't be complacent in second leg . Last year we thought job is done and Atletico punished us . No matter if deserve to loose or win first leg , i am just happy with a draw and glad to see those bitter PSG fans .

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Sometimes Hazard is fouled to stop his runs, other times he is looking for a foul and he knows the best how to get it.

JuanMata10 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

Some thoughts:

• First of all, PSG deserved to win.. in the first half PSG let us pass it around the back, occasionaly giving the ball to the attacking players just to lose it again. Paris only had that double chance by Matuidi and Zlatan if I recall correctly. The real pressure came after we scored our only chance in the whole game.. their pressing was immense after that, we didn't have any space to create something and I had the feeling that we didn't even want to do so. The only performances I liked, were Matic's and Courtois'. Speaking of Courtois, I'm really glad that he reacted in this way to Cech's top class performance against Everton last week. That will surely boost his confidence.

• The fact that 3 of our defenders were more of an attacking threat than our attacking players and created the goal is symbolical for last nights performance.

• Costa's dribbling is absolutely awful, he's probably the worst dribbler in our team. He gave away every single ball and his pass completion rate was probably 0%, too. Shocking performance by him, should've been substituted earlier.

• Matuidi and Cavani were top class today, our defence was too shaky to be able to cope with them. Matuidi is an absolute powerhouse, it felt like he was everywhere on the pitch.

• Verratti is a little rat. How on earth was this guy not sent off? He committed 3 or 4 fouls that were worthy of a yellow card.

• I feel sorry for Hazard, he was constantly kicked and marked by 3 players, he couldn't get into the game and basically spent the night lying on the ground. I was particularly angry as hell when Zlatan kicked him with no intention of getting the ball and somehow got away with it.

• Ramires? Nothing new, he's always prone to doing stupid things, I'm just glad we got away unpunished this time.

• I really dislike our big game approach, we can't play against every top team like this. We're capable of so much more, yet it's always the same. I'd really like to see how we dominate a big opposition, not in terms of results, but in terms of playing style.

• Anyways, the result leaves us in a favoured position for the second leg, so at least we've got one positive thing to take away from the game.
  • History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Some thoughts:

• First of all, PSG deserved to win.. in the first half PSG let us pass it around the back, occasionaly giving the ball to the attacking players just to lose it again. Paris only had that double chance by Matuidi and Zlatan if I recall correctly. The real pressure came after we scored our only chance in the whole game.. their pressing was immense after that, we didn't have any space to create something and I had the feeling that we didn't even want to do so. The only performances I liked, were Matic's and Courtois'. Speaking of Courtois, I'm really glad that he reacted in this way to Cech's top class performance against Everton last week. That will surely boost his confidence.
  • The fact that 3 of our defenders were more of an attacking threat than our attacking players and created the goal is symbolical for last nights performance.
  • Costa's dribbling is absolutely awful, he's probably the worst dribbler in our team. He gave away every single ball and his pass completion rate was probably 0%, too. Shocking performance by him, should've been substituted earlier.
  • Matuidi and Cavani were top class today, our defence was too shaky to be able to cope with them. Matuidi is an absolute powerhouse, it felt like he was everywhere on the pitch.- Verratti is a little rat. How on earth was this guy not sent off? He committed 3 or 4 fouls that were worthy of a yellow card.

• I feel sorry for Hazard, he was constantly kicked and marked by 3 players, he couldn't get into the game and basically spent the night lying on the ground. I was particularly angry as hell when Zlatan kicked him with no intention of getting the ball and somehow got away with it.
  • Ramires? Nothing new, he's always prone to doing stupid things, I'm just glad we got away unpunished this time.
  • I really dislike our big game approach, we can't play against every top team like this. We're capable of so much more, yet it's always the same. I'd really like to see how we dominate a big opposition, not in terms of results, but in terms of playing style.
  • Anyways, the result leaves us in a favoured position for the second leg, so at least we've got one positive thing to take away from the game.

Some thoughts:

• Matuidi and Cavani were top class today, our defence was too shaky to be able to cope with them. Matuidi is an absolute powerhouse, it felt like he was everywhere on the pitch.- Verratti is a little rat. How on earth was this guy not sent off? He committed 3 or 4 fouls that were worthy of a yellow card.

Some thoughts:

Some thoughts:

Some thoughts:

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Cavani also got big chance when he was 1on1 but missed the net. There were a lot more players who deserved the yellow, specially:Fabregas, Luiz, Ibrahimovic and maybe others too. PSG will press till they score and I can't imagine them not scoring at least once with that attacking power, also add Lucas who was injured and the 2nd match may be hell good!

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

Costa had a passing success ratio of 55%.. He put on a terrible performance and I agree that he should have been substituted way earlier. Hazard did an alright game however; created 1 of 2 key-passes among other things, even though he had 3 players on him pretty much all the time and even though he was the most fouled player (as usual). Matic also played well and so did Azpi and Ivanovich. Courtois was the best player in Chelsea, that goes without saying. As to the others - poor performance.

As to PSG, Matuidi was GREAT and Cavani was absolutely lethal. Clearly the better team in the match. Good move to play Luiz as a defensive midfielder as well.

The next game at the Bridge will look a lot different though. Oscar will be back in attack and Fabregas will play deeper again. PSG will face a completely completely different Chelsea.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

" he had 3 players on him pretty much all the time and even though he was the most fouled player (as usual)"

• That is how every big game in Europe is going to be from now on for Hazard. He will most probably need to move more centrally, or back up more to pick up the ball. Otherwise he's going to end up like Ronaldo vs. Atletico (man-marked by 5 men so well that he barely touches the ball). Hazard needs to adopt Messi's positional style in the center of the pitch against these big teams.

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

In Spain he will have 4 players on him not 3, better for Hazard to stay where he is now.

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

@Dynastian. I agree. But he's backing home rather deep already thanks to Mous tactics.. And while he doesn't have the same possibilities to change the game independently he still opens up the game for the other Chelsea players if they focus too much on Hazard.. And in all honesty, it's way better the opposition players focus on Hazard, rather than let's say Costa, because Hazard usually finds a way through somehow..

Marcus2011 9 years ago

What you talking about ? Ronaldo is better protected by referee than Hazard . I watched the match against Atletico . Mostly Atletico needed just one guy to take ball from Ronaldo . Ronaldo was incredibly bad during that match . So , no need to sugar coat his performance . I understand Hazard has not gained that status and privilege yet to be protected by referees . However, man is most fouled player in Europe and the type kicks and pushes he gets during the game ( just because he is build strong and stays on his feet ) should result in many yellows .

He got 9 during PSG match . Number should be way higher for so many of them went uncalled by very lenient referee .

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

@Marcus I don't think Dynastian meant that in a bad way at all so don't get offended mate! Really agree it's a shame how much Hazard gets fouled though.. And most often it doesn't lead to a card.. It amazes me that someone hasn't badly injured him yet.. It absolutely disgusts me!! But I guess one of the reasons to why he's among the absolute top of the players in the world is because he's built so strongly!

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

Would like to fins some statistics on how many fouls committed on Hazard actually leads to a card! Bet it's a lot lower than the average even for the more rougher English football!

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Marcus

Stop being offended by every word I say. You take my words too personally.