Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Park The Bus ? Mourinho Open Fire and Defence For Himsilf & Talk about Solskjaer
Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

When Mourinho is in the dug out these pundits always have a lot of thoughts to say but once he confronts them, suddenly they can't put two words together. It is always like this in life. Mourinho is an amazing debater and well balanced head that recognize trap or tricky questions. Definitely above their level and shows them why he gets to manage top clubs, gets top money and not sit there behind tv screen talk about football tactics as if you are genius and criticize like an angry minion.

Comments
Ledley 5 years ago Edited
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Talks alot of shite.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Talks alot of shite. Better of listening to JRE

SunFlash 5 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

Mou has always been good at pointing to results and letting them speak for him. In this situation, it is pretty clear that anyone in Ole's camp (literally all of United rn) can simply do the same.

Mou is a very good manager, and I'm sure he will go somewhere else eventually and do very well there. But he was never a good fit for United, and everyone knew it. So when the results stopped coming, there was no reason to have him anymore.

EDIT:

Found my comment from 3 years ago when we hired him and I stand by all of it:

https://footyroom.com/forum/discussions/official-mourinho-is-now-man-uniteds-manager-79346

• History

Mou has always been good at pointing to results and letting them speak for him. In this situation, it is pretty clear that anyone in Ole's camp (literally all of United rn) can simply do the same.

Mou is a very good manager, and I'm sure he will go somewhere else eventually and do very well there. But he was never a good fit for United, and everyone knew it. So when the results stopped coming, there was no reason to have him anymore.

tiki_taka 5 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Well great video thanks for the share.
I stopped at 12m55 to discuss some things that I may forget at the end of the video.

• Mou is an incredible communicator, we all agree about it.

First, I would like to discuss Simeone similarity that Mou mentioned, Atletico before El Cholo were not established in Europe nor in top 3. The budget was limited and he had to play the way he did with players like Raul Garcia, Miranda, Godin and other warrior type of players rather than cracks... they lost their best strikers each time, Torres, Aguero, Falcao, Diego Costa and the list is long. Someone more than just a Sportive results objective had to make the club grow economically, what Arsenal did under Wenger and what Spurs are doing under AVB/Poch. He gave them an identity consistency and they built a stadium, earned more fans and sponsors and so on....
Why I’m saying this ? It’s because El Cholo could do it at Atleti and not at real Madrid, biggest budget in the world.
Atleti achievement taking la liga over Barça/Real in their peak with 86 pts is bigger achievement than Leicester winning the league with 75 pts. El Cholo built this for years and played 2 CL finals with a 170 mil budget club. Comparable to what Mou did at Porto in an era Bayern Barca and Real were not getting s good.

All this to say that, if you use your strength 100% no one would blame you to play defensive. But this argument can’t be used for big budget teams specially if you don’t get results...

Mou After reijkard sacking, asked Jorge Mendes his agent to take Barca’s job in 2008. Mou was sir Bobby translator and was in the bench of Barca at the very beginning of his career. After getting success at Chelsea He wanted the job that bad and made a perfect conference at lisbon for Barca direction. They told him they do not like scandals and trash talk in the media and that he should adapt to the club vision, so Mou decided to stop his offer and Pep was appointed. From that time Mou hates Barca for not giving him the team at that moment of that he thought he would do wonders with.

Back to subject, no one would blame Mou to play defensive with Everton, Crystal Palace or even actual Milan or Inter like when he took charge. But at United, he could do it only if he got results, like at Madrid. You cannot play bad and loose in these clubs...

Imo Mou since his last spell at Chelsea is creating an unhealthy atmosphere in the dressing room, Rooney and Swheinstiger said it, I also think he got a majority of youngsters from the new generation with social networks and haircuts he wasn’t used to it. Plus he got Bad defensive line not adapted for defensive play. The fact that Ole is winning with style may tarnish his United claims and rightfully imo.

At the last year with Madrid, Chelsea and United he divided the dressing room and got problems with the leaders, his sackings were an obligation for these clubs, not just only result issues... for me his ego has affected his management. More than just a question of ability which we all agree he is one of the best, but his message is no longer well received by his players and this is a very big concern for the rest of his career...

But no one is deniying his achievements, from Porto to Chelsea Inter or Madrid.

• History

I stopped at 12m55 to discuss some things that I may forget at the end of the discussion.

First, I would like to discuss Simeone similarity that Mou mentioned, Atletico before El Cholo were not established in Europe nor in top 3. The budget was limited and he had to play the way he did with players like Raul Garcia, Miranda, Godin and other warrior type of players rather than cracks... they lost their best strikers each time, Torres, Aguero, Falcao, Diego Costa and the list is long. Someone more than just a Sportive results objective had to make the club grow economically, what Arsenal did under Wenger and what Spurs are doing under AVB/Poch. He gave them an identity consistency and they built a stadium, earned more fans and sponsors and so on....
Why I’m saying this ? It’s because El Cholo could do it at Atleti and not at real Madrid, biggest budget in the world.
Atleti achievement taking la liga over Barça/Real in their peak with 86 pts is bigger achievement than Leicester winning the league with 75 pts. El Cholo built this for years and played 2 CL finals with a 170 mil budget club. Comparable to what Mou did at Porto in an era Bayern Barca and Real were not getting s good.

All this to say that, if you use your strength 100% no one would blame you to play defensive. But it can’t be used for big budget teams...

Mou After reijkard sacking, asked Jorge Mendes his agent to take Barca’s job in 2008. Mou was sir Bobby translator and was in the bench of Barca. He wanted the job that bad and made a perfect conference at lisbon for Barca direction. They told him they do not like scandals and trash talk in the media and that he should adapt to the club vision, so Mou decided to stop his offer and Pep was appointed. From that time Mou hates Barca for not giving him the team at that moment of that he thought he would do wonders with.

Back to subject, no one would blame Mou to play defensive with Everton, Crystal Palace or even actual Milan or Inter like when he took charge. But at United, he could do it only if he got results, like at Madrid. You cannot play bad and loose in these clubs...

Imo Mou since his last spell at Chelsea is creating an unhealthy atmosphere in the dressing room, Rooney and Swheinstiger said it, I also think he got a majority of youngsters from the new generation with social networks and haircuts he wasn’t used to it. Plus he got Bad defensive line not adapted for defensive play. The fact that Ole is winning with style may tarnish his United claims and rightfully imo.

I stopped at 12m55 to discuss some things that I may forget at the end of the video.

All this to say that, if you use your strength 100% no one would blame you to play defensive. But it can’t be used for big budget teams...

Mou After reijkard sacking, asked Jorge Mendes his agent to take Barca’s job in 2008. Mou was sir Bobby translator and was in the bench of Barca. He wanted the job that bad and made a perfect conference at lisbon for Barca direction. They told him they do not like scandals and trash talk in the media and that he should adapt to the club vision, so Mou decided to stop his offer and Pep was appointed. From that time Mou hates Barca for not giving him the team at that moment of that he thought he would do wonders with.

All this to say that, if you use your strength 100% no one would blame you to play defensive. But this argument can’t be used for big budget teams specially if you don’t get results...

Mou After reijkard sacking, asked Jorge Mendes his agent to take Barca’s job in 2008. Mou was sir Bobby translator and was in the bench of Barca at the very beginning of his career. After getting success at Chelsea He wanted the job that bad and made a perfect conference at lisbon for Barca direction. They told him they do not like scandals and trash talk in the media and that he should adapt to the club vision, so Mou decided to stop his offer and Pep was appointed. From that time Mou hates Barca for not giving him the team at that moment of that he thought he would do wonders with.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

Just watched it all, hilarious video. The pundits got hammered fair and square lol.

I respect the part of not being in the tribe, not giving a **** of building a good image. But it has consequences in life. Sincerity doesn’t pay much, nice words and political correctness do. He got my respect for that I think pundits did a bad job. I would have asked him about his management issues, he got many Mata, Casillas, Pogba... and it affected results drastically. He got no opposition and I’m sure if he got his opinion and point of view would have been interesting.

the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

I agree that kind of pundits are like bait-triggers

Marcus2011 5 years ago Edited

Only reason why I posted this video is to highlight that this man isn't a coward and when he needs to face someone he can argue them very well. You and most of us here seem so knowledgeable just like those pundits but this man changed football and gets paid millions of dollars not for being the loudest mouth in the room. These pundits couldn't even come up with a good arguments when they had more than enough time to catch him by surprise.

@tiki

I agree is with Mourinho not wanting to change, because he has the vision and if other players don't believe in his vision he cuts them down. Simple. He also wants full support of the club to do that. He can adjust his approach to some big or small players for period of time to help them to catch up to his vision, but mostly he desires iron discipline, perseverance and commitment to his philosophy.
Whenever he gets this he always produced not just defensive football but also beautiful counter attacking, fast and furious football. We all remember Chelsea of 2004-2007 but also how Inter smashed Barcelona's prime in Milan like a tank! He showed the world how to beat TIKI taka.

To me he is revolutionary mind that breaks unstoppable teams just like he ended Arsenals and Manchester dominance in EPL, he came to La liga and ended Barcelona's dominance. Mou has set some incredible records in every league he has been, because he is a visionary and if he has the team fully backing him, he brings the trophies back to back and third year too ( Chelsea was incredibly unlucky not to win third year title in 07, we were motherfcking force with ultimate winning mentality that lasted until 2012 which is all Mou's built team) and they don't paint the picture of a team that was ultra defensive. Mou came back and he found kids in our club that lack discipline and commitment, yet still were let the first year title slip away then took it away from Liverpool and won it next year again setting some records along the way..

Ok i dragged my point : Players now days have more power, so they want managers to adjust to them and cater them otherwise they simply stop playing.

Ole is having a good time right now which should raise two questions:

1. Why these players decided that they can stop playing if they wish just to get it their way? Because they play better individually! Even dumb Lukaku started to have better touch lol I don't think Ole had enough time to change them so dramatically into these warriors of football lol
  2. How long will this last because you have to be naive to think that it will last ( spring is just starting) ? So far 6 out of 6. I bet you what no matter what happens at the end of the season, and you can come back to this comment, when new manager arrives he will demand new players and it won't be one or two!

I have been reading Steve Jobs biography and it is incredible, so i suggest you all to read it as well. Read the one by Isaac Walterson because he knew Jobs for more than 20 years.

Steve Jobs was an incredible arse hole when it came to his teams ( engineering team) and literally anyone he played with. He was also a cry baby ( no really read it) but one thing he never lacked despite criticism, bashing, going against his entire board which got him fired from his own company, he was never a visionary that believed in his philosophy to the end. He would replace his employees in instance if he thought they were dumb or as he called them B and C Players. He wanted A players only because A players play better with other A players. When company was almost going down they asked him to come back to lead it again and he brought it back from brink of bankruptcy.

Mourinho needs club that backs him all the way even when sh8t isn't going right then he adjusts it himself. It will get poisoning because it did with Jobs and Apple too, but they fired him in 1986 thinking that the sales of Apple II will be enough to continue just fine without soul of the company. They made a mistake that almost costed them dearly.

I am not saying that United now will go down as a club, i am saying that when Ferguson was doing really bad who was also visionary, club backed him and he built that recipe for the team that lasted for a long time. Mourinho did the same at Chelsea in his first spell, it lasted us until 2012 and he could have built even bigger legacy if it wasn't for Roman's arrogance. Clubs don't back managers because they are now market driven and revenue driven. On top of all this now they back players!! This is a nightmare for football.

• History

Only reason why I posted this video is to highlight that this man isn't a coward and when he needs to face someone he can argue them very well. You and most of us here seem so knowledgeable just like those pundits but this man changed football and gets paid millions of dollars not for being the loudest mouth in the room. These pundits couldn't even come up with a good arguments when they had more than enough time to catch him by surprise.

@tiki

I agree is with Mourinho not wanting to change, because he has the vision and if other players don't believe in his vision he cuts them down. Simple. He also wants full support of the club to do that. He can adjust his approach to some big or small players for period of time to help them to catch up to his vision, but mostly he desires iron discipline, perseverance and commitment to his philosophy.
Whenever he gets this he always produced not just defensive football but also beautiful counter attacking, fast and furious football. We all remember Chelsea of 2004-2007 but also how Inter smashed Barcelona's prime in Milan like a tank! He showed the world how to beat TIKI taka.

To me he is revolutionary mind that breaks unstoppable teams just like he ended Arsenals and Manchester dominance in EPL, he came to La liga and ended Barcelona's dominance. Mou has set some incredible records in every league he has been, because he is a visionary and if he has the team fully backing him, he brings the trophies back to back and third year too ( Chelsea was incredibly unlucky not to win third year title in 07, we were motherfcking force with ultimate winning mentality that lasted until 2012 which is all Mou's built team) and they don't paint the picture of a team that was ultra defensive. Mou came back and he found kids in our club that lack discipline and commitment, yet still were let the first year title slip away then took it away from Liverpool and won it next year again setting some records along the way..

Ok i dragged my point : Players now days have more power, so they want managers to adjust to them and cater them otherwise they simply stop playing. Ole is having a good time right now which should raise two questions:

1. Why these players decided that they can stop playing if they wish just to get it their way? Because they play better individually! Even dumb Lukaku started to have better touch lol I don't think Ole had enough time to change them so dramatically into these warriors of football lol
  2. How long will this last because you have to be naive to think that it will last ( spring is just starting) ? So far 6 out of 6. I bet you what no matter what happens at the end of the season, and you can come back to this comment, when new manager arrives he will demand new players and it won't be one or two!

I have been reading Steve Jobs biography and it is incredible, so i suggest you all to read it as well. Read the one by Isaac Walterson because he knew Jobs for more than 20 years.

Steve Jobs was an incredible arse hole when it came to his teams ( engineering team) and literally anyone he played with. He was also a cry baby ( no really read it) but one thing he never lacked despite criticism, bashing, going against his entire board which got him fired from his own company, he was never a visionary that believed in his philosophy to the end. He would replace his employees in instance if he thought they were dumb or as he called them B and C Players. He wanted A players only because A players play better with other A players. When company was almost going down they asked him to come back to lead it again and he brought it back from brink of bankruptcy.

Mourinho needs club that backs him all the way even when sh8t isn't going right then he adjusts it himself. It will get poisoning because it did with Jobs and Apple too, but they fired him in 1986 thinking that the sales of Apple II will be enough to continue just fine without soul of the company. They made a mistake that almost costed them dearly.

I am not saying that United now will go down as a club, i am saying that when Ferguson was doing really bad who was also visionary, club backed him and he built that recipe for the team that lasted for a long time. Mourinho did the same at Chelsea in his first spell, it lasted us until 2012 and he could have built even bigger legacy if it wasn't for Roman's arrogance. Clubs don't back managers because they are now market driven and revenue driven. On top of all this now they back players!! This is a nightmare for football.

Marcus2011 5 years ago

Have you noticed that so many of the great managers – and leaders – are really odd?

Steve JobsThis can be seen not only in business with enigmatic leaders like Apple’s Steve Jobs (described by Bill Gates as “fundamentally odd”, but also in some of the more eccentric characters we see in sport – take for example football managers like José Mourinho, Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough.

While there are indeed managers like Manchester United’s David Moyes, who are .. average, reasonable, uninspired: just the sort of manager that might make the grade on paper in a recruitment process, the great leadership is seen from managers like Mourinho and Ferguson, neither of whom would have stood much chance of making it through to the interview stage! They weren’t even great football players!

Odd, isn’t it?

But is it enough just to be odd? Unlikely… Perhaps there is good odd (Mourinho) and bad odd (take your pick of the world’s despots).

In my experience working with organisations, I have found that the great leaders, despite their seeming oddness, have at least 3 things in common:

1. They are clever – especially with people. They know whose buttons to press – and when! Who to kick and who to hug! They know the game – they know their business inside out.

2. They have more than just one style – they hold their principles constant but adapt their own style to the situation in hand. Mourinho famously let his kit man give the motivational speech to his players last week (in indecipherable “Scottish”, too!). Ferguson could tell his Beckhams from his Ronaldos, his Van Persies from his Rooneys – and found the right words for each.

3. They reach for the stars, and hold themselves – not just their staff – to the highest standards. They are unrelenting in their quest for success. Their self-belief is unshakable. Failures are used as opportunities to learn. Success is inevitable – the only question is when.

So perhaps there is something to be learned from seeing past what might seem like strange personalities and assessing our potential leaders instead for intelligence, a flexibility in style and an unshakable self-belief and ambition. It may be that these characteristics are more important to success as a leader that meeting any definition of “normal”.

Another video

• History

Another video

and Look our Sarri finally got PISSED OFF AT these SISSYS! And Club will hopefully continue to back him, give him striker and get these kids disciplined because suddenly they beat Spurs who are in much better form and their morale before the game was better than Arsenals a match before ! Ridiculously obvious that these players slack on purpose and they don't believe they can win the league!

• History

and Look our Sarri finally got PISSED OFF AT these SISSYS! And Club will hopefully continue to back him, give him striker and get these kids disciplined because suddenly they beat Spurs who are in much better form and their morale before the game was better than Arsenals!

Just last one :)) bald guy makes a lot of sense too

• History

Just last one :)) bald guy makes a lot of sense too

tiki_taka 5 years ago

Yeah for Sarri I goes from time to time to Chelsea highlights and see the critics, who are unfair at times. You know when you start producing effective attacking football, opposition adapts on closing spaces and getting more disciplined than before which can be something very new for players making runs or needing space to deliver. I think it’s one of the reasons Chelsea conceded some draws and also players like Willian more comfortable at counters find themselves obliged to play static build up plays. It’s not like a coach decision to slow the tempo and start building from the back, it’s a direct result of having good ball holders teams in the league like City or reds and recently Chelsea. Reason why PL has changed even midtable clubs, and 100% British style clubs fight for relegation.
Imo time will only solve things, in actual PL you cannot be counter attacking and winning the league anymore. You can be a cup club but no longer a league club, and Sarri for me is the right pick to make the transition.

For Salah, well if it’s the club decision it’s probably their biggest mistake of the last decade with KDB.

Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Mourinho's biggest issue might be the fact that players are extremely entitled these days. You have spoiled brats like Pogba and Lukaku who think that because they get paid 20-30 million a year, they can behave however they want and do whatever they please. They will go into matches and put in 50% effort, and then blame the manager for using defensive tactics. I think that not only are these players insulting the fans with their distinct lack of effort, but they are also toxic to the club when they go through their little premenstrual cycle and sabotage the manager's job.

Even at Chelsea, Sarri has noted the distinct lack of motivation from the players. Hazard has come out and said that he does not wish to be a leader, just a player. In Madrid, Ramos and Marcelo have always had issues with concentration and effort when they are not fond of the manager (although Ramos has greatly improved in this regard, now we have Marcelo, Kroos, Varane, etc. all being lazy because they aren't winning or do not like the manager's tactics).

Can you blame Mourinho every single time? I agree that his arrogance is a big reason why his relationships with players break down, but players themselves must compromise. Mourinho is probably the best example of pragmatism that I have seen in football this past decade (at least amongst title-winning managers). He will always work with what he has, and rarely ever makes big mistakes. His "third year decline" is completely true, but I think that's also as a result of his player-manager relationships deteriorating over time due to clashes of ego.

But in the instance of United and Chelsea, these are the things I have taken away

1. Mourinho didn't have the attacking talent to play the style he was expected of playing
  2. Even if he played that style, it might not have been his preferred style because he might not have thought that it would be conducive to winning football (in which case, the board is to blame because if they wanted to watch attacking football, then they should have hired a manager who is known for attacking football). Mourinho insinuated it himself - attacking football is good if you can use it to produce results (2011-12 Madrid, for example). But when you DON'T have that kind of offensive talent (2009-10 Inter), it's better to play a bit more defensive to secure results rather than go all-out and risk it. If Mourinho tried to make that aged Inter team play like his 2011-12 Madrid, they wouldn't have won shit that season. It's all about pragmatism for Mourinho - do what is most sensible with the resources you have at hand.
  3. Mourinho has had some toxic lockerrooms which have struggled beyond his departure with motivation issues (Madrid, Chelsea, and I suspect United will as well in due time)
  4. Mourinho HAS played attacking football with Madrid, and he DID produce excellent results (100 points, 121 goals scored, almost won a Liga-CL double), but that was only because of an overabundance of offensive talent AND because he had already created a solid defense. When our offensive talent became inconsistent the following season (ADM, Benz, & Ozil), then the team did not look like they wanted to put in the requisite defensive effort and kept leaking goals like it was nothing. Mourinho became frustrated and lashed out at the team, the team lashed back at him, and they won jack shit that year.

tl;dr

Not always Mourinho's fault IMO - he's been let down consistently by his locker rooms. Also the people who demand offensive football from Mourinho with the players that he's got don't understand Jose's philosophy or how pragmatic football works. I am 100% sure that Jose knows 200x more about his players and what the appropriate tactics are than any one of us, yet I see half the people here criticizing his tactics. Maybe if Mourinho's players were more loyal to the manager and had respect for hierarchy at the club that they play for, Mourinho would be more willing to play attacking football because he knows his players will put in the necessary defensive effort to go alongside that attacking football.

Marcus2011 5 years ago

@tiki

Sarri publicly criticized his players after loosing to demoralized Arsenal . Next game, we beat in form Spurs. To me it is obvious that he is desperate for support from the board, and feels that some players in the team are untouchables thus he can't discipline them as he wants. These are all grown arse man and their job is to simply kick the ball day in and out. Yet, they abuse their player power by getting managers fired.

Btw someone from pundits said that if Sarri is already publicly criticizing his players then he will be out soon. I personally feel that those pundits should get their arses kicked right after they leave the building! They are part of the problem! Speculating on man's job and turning fans, and players against the man. I don't like Sarri and his management style, but he deserves the backing when he didn't get proper transfer window like new striker at least and when players are obviously slacking.

Marcus2011 5 years ago

@dynastian

I agree. Yet, with current generation of footballers and new found powers they have, manager like Mourinho seems to be easily ousted and antagonized because he pushes them beyond their limits.

I ask who do we have now days that are exceptional? Only old school players ( I consider Messi and Ronaldo old school because they played along side old school players) are showing some will to fight for their place with performances and work hard to get recognition they deserve. Man management is a tough thing and especially a young man, but i think work ethics of young man now days have gone down the hill. On top they are being baby-sited by the board because they bring shirt revenue or whatever else.

During Zidanes generation, they were so many exceptional players in every position. These days, I honestly don't know any player that leaves me at WOW other than Messi and Ronaldo who are ofcourse heads and shoulders above other players. Yet, when they get upset it seems to me that they more often will put down their head and work tirelessly instead of plotting to overthrow a manager.

srk_rox 5 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

How times have changed!!! Extremely saddened to hear about players overthrowing the managers.

In particular, the Chelsea players always succeed in getting the sack for the manager. Both Hazard and Luiz publicly revealed that they would have to reconsider their future if Conte had to stay.

Unfortunately, fans are mere spectators overlooking the players-manager conflict. Their voices are almost always unheard of.

We are the victim of the system that we build. Football is no exception.

Punditry is just for the sake of TRP. The only pundit I like is Jamie Carragher not because of his football knowledge, but for his sense of humour and comebacks.

Unfortunately, there is no going back from here on.

Probably, things can change if the fans start to buy more shirts of the manager(if there isn't one for the manager, the club has to print) rather than the player.
A stronger contractual terms in favour of the manager.
The club structure and the owner backing up the manager in the thick and thin. When I type these lines, I can understand how hypothetical these might sound.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I dont think we can defend either players or Mourinho ONE BIT, they are all at fault

It's true that you can't blame everything on Mourinho, we have the kind of toxic players and these days, those overpriced, overpaid stars are making a big mess of the dressing room.

Manager like Mourinho with big Ego and strong personality will suffer more than others, when there is another lion in the room who doesn't respect hierarchy the way he expects it too.

In term of football, The problem I have with Mourinho beside his style is not only defensive, BUT THE COWARD tactic, especially after 1 0 lead, we have seen that again and again and again. That's my biggest problem.