Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Official: Moyes sacked. Thoughts?
TheGame 10 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

Official:

"Manchester United has announced that David Moyes has left the Club.

The Club would like to place on record its thanks for the hard work, honesty and integrity he brought to the role"

Comments
Always_a_Gooner 10 years ago
Arsenal, Germany 0 7

Oh man, why did he left (!) He could stay like Sir Alex .

Marcus2011 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Marcus2011 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

<<<<Former Manchester United defender Gordon McQueen has described the Red Devils as a club in “mayhem” and attacked the manner in which David Moyes was sacked.

he 61-year-old insists that Moyes took over an “average team” this summer despite the club having just won the Premier League title by 11 points under Sir Alex Ferguson and was surprised to see the Scot leave.

“I’m totally shocked by the decision to sack David and the manner in which it was done was horrendous," he told Goal.

“It is total mayhem there and there are no guarantees whoever replaces him will be able to put things right. David was voted manager of the year by his peers three times, people forget that.

“Someone at the club, whether it was the owners or the chief executive obviously had enough after the 2-0 defeat at Everton on Sunday and couldn’t wait to get shot of him.

“Of course this season has been a huge disappointment, but it was always going to be a tough season and panic has set in. He wasn’t dealt a great hand at United because the team that won the league was on the way down. In many ways it got lucky last season as it was nothing more than an average United team.

David was promised time and given a six-year contract. He was prepared to stick it out and prove people wrong, but the loyalty wasn’t there in return

“He is an honourable man and, believe me, no one in the game works harder. He deserved better than to find out he was going to be sacked on Twitter.”

McQueen believes that Moyes never recovered from the calamity of his first signing, Belgium midfielder Marouane Fellaini for £27.5 million from his previous club Everton.

“I think his biggest problem was in the transfer market and the signing of Fellaini set the tone," he added

“Fans wanted to signings like Cesc Fabregas but that never happened and even the arrival of Juan Mata from Chelsea in January did not have the impact it should have done.

“Manchester United have no divine right to win things and it takes time for a new manager to win the trust of players and make his own mark on the club.

“The club knows that a lot of money will have to be spent in the summer on half-a-dozen players but it looks like they don’t trust David to spend it wisely.

“It might take the next man twice as long to understand the club as it took David because they are likely to go for someone from abroad unlikely to have any insight into what makes Manchester United.

“Ryan Giggs might take the reins until the end of the season and with three home games and an away match at Southampton, he could win all four. What happens then? Do you give it to him full-time?

United have got to be careful they get it right this time because as Liverpool proved over 20 years ago if you don’t you can go years in the doldrums.” >>>>

I think this man speaks so much sense . I absolutely agree with everything except that Moyes still should be gone and Rene should become manager . He should have been manager the since beginning .

United_Hates_Blues 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 14 985

Yeah he was a amateur in a Champions zone. Cant find the thread with my first reaction. I never wanted him at OT. I think wolf man said What's wrong with Moyes? the troll. Alex could you get that thread?

Anyways sucks a man had to lose his job.

BUT

JuanMata10 10 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

I feel sorry for him, his career is probably destroyed now

Iraqi_Madridista 10 years ago
Real Madrid 33 1388

Yep , its official. I actually feel very sad for him. Most Man United fans are happy tho but imagine what he is feeling right now. But its not his mistake , he tried his best. But United is a big club and not any manager can handle it. Van Gaal is atm the n1 to replace him after the WC in Brazil.

Fru_Toot 10 years ago
Manchester City, England 54 635

i heard Arsene Wenger is very likely to replace Moyes...

Wolfie 10 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

^Cool story..

Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Whatever's best for the club. Clearly Moyes wasn't the right man going forward. Just goes to show how much of an amazing manager Sir Alex really was. He took this current mid-table team, and won the league by a margin of 11 points with them last season.

ashwin1729 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

Well, replacing Ferguson was always going to be a hard task for anyone. However, I am sure most people would have given Moyes some time or loyalty if he had a decent game plan against the Top 5 clubs besides Arsenal this season. I personally wouldn't have minded giving him some more time IF he actually played decent or attractive football instead of meaningless posession game ala the Everton game.
That said, he did no favors for himself by buying Fellaini or Mata (Not that Mata is a bad player, but why do you need Mata when both Rooney and Kagawa play the same position?). In addition, Vidal should have been the prime tartget in the window, when Cesc and Thiago didn't want to come. Fellaini, was an over priced panic buy. I think under the right coach, he can be a force but so far has a disappoining season. I hope he improves next year drastically and be more physical.
However, the counter argument is that Moyes inherited an aging squad from Ferguson. Games against WestBrom, and Cardiff showed why Ferdinand should not be playing anymore let alone playing for United. It was evident for sometime, which is why Fergie himself started the rotation the last year, with either Vidic or Ferdinand with Smalling or Jones. In addition, Ferguson also planed for the games utilizing both Carrick and Cleverly as the holding midfielders and changing formations against different opponents (tactics) to incorporate different players. Moyes on the other hand, had a strict 4-2-3-1 with no idea about his starting XI even after the Everton match. Even if the squad was aging, there was no reason to drop points against WestBrom, New Castle, Southhampton, Cardiff...etc at HOME with the attack we have.
Ferguson also made sure that no player was bigger than the club=> Right attitude. Moyes on the other hand, gave the club bully a 300k/week contract. I am the biggest fan of Rooney, but the club is bigger than the player, and United doesn't deserve him.

1)Moyes doesn't have a brand of football. The most exciting game I saw in 2014 was the first leg against Bayern, where United defended with 10 men behind the ball. Enough said.
2)Moyes known for his defensive sides could not fix the defense.
3) Moyes has had no expereince managing the egos in the team, and failed at it.
4) As a coach you were supposed to have your starting XI in the first two-three months. Moyes has been at the job for 10 months, and after 50 odd games still does not know his starting XI.
5) His transfer record was not good.

TheGame 10 years ago

@Dyanstian98, United is not a mid-table team. Given our current squad of players, at the very least we should be getting 4th place. We didn't play good football last season, but we were miles better overall than every other team. This season the players did not want to play for Moyes, because he did not deserve the job to begin with and he alienated half of the squad.

Wolfie 10 years ago Edited
Inter, Germany 94 1844

@ashwin1729 - You really went big with your 1st comment in the forum! xD Get an avatar, welcome! ;D

p.s - No chance ManU would have got Vidal.. ;)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@ashwin1729 - You really went big with your 1st comment in the forum! xD Get an avatar, welcome! ;D

Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@TheGame

Yeah, I know what United are capable of. That's why I said "current mid-table team".

TheGame 10 years ago

@Dynastian98, touche mate.

ashwin1729 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

@Wolfie - Thanks mate!

I read somewhere that Vidal would come if Mata did not come to united...may be I am wrong?

WayneRooney 10 years ago
Manchester United, Argentina 52 488

Boixosnois1981 10 years ago
Barcelona 49 508

I may get some stick from other FCB supporters for this but, i see this as a good sign that it will be our turn soon, to see Martino go out the door at season's end.. I know that the league is not over, but Martino has no adaptability and never changes his strategy even after witnessing it failing multiple times, he has done nothing for the defence, and didn't aquire anyone in the January window for the defence, something we desperately needed. The board is to blame for the transfer problems as well, both the board and Tata should of acted in the summer and in January to fix our ailing defensive problems.. but no. I mean Tata and his coaching staff can atleast change the defensive approach/ strategy.

And with Real Madrid's easy Liga schedule and Atleti's brilliant form, I don't see us retaining the league this season, but i really hope i am wrong, there is still mathematically a chance, and football is unpredictable, either team still may slip, but the higher likelyness is that it will go down to the Madrid clubs at the end of the season.

Its not the fact that we are losing games, but the manner in which we are losing, we just keep losing the same way over and over again.

As for United, I also doubted Moyes when he first came, I mean he was not too special at Everton, didn't win anything, didn't take them to the UCL, hardly even the Europa, I didn't see him as a poor manager but not an extraordinary one. I knew from the very start that managing one of the earths best teams was gonna be too much for this guy, he's just not the guy that can fill the shoes of a man like Sir Alex Ferguson, the coach of all coaches.

Wolfie 10 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

No wonder Rooney left Everton when Moyes was there. He realised he wasn't going to get to the next level if he stayed. Moyes is not a bad coach, he made Everton stable after the used to be a bottom half team. Best Moyes can do is get a team to Europa League, which is not bad.

@ashwin1729- Juve wouldn't sell Vidal for anything less that 50 mil. Juve aren't exactly a selling club, except when they get relegated to Serie B for match fixing , haha.. Over the summer, United should decide where they are going to keep Kagawa or Mata. There's no need to have both. Fellaini really has to go, I wonder what Moyes was thinking there. Ferguson should have bought Sneijder when he had a chance, but he went with Cleverly instead. Maybe not qualifying for CL is a good thing. ManU can start fresh from the ground up, get rid of all the dead weight.

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@Boix I understand your point, but im waiting to know who will replace him, i think it could have been much worse.
He isnt responsible for Neymar signing and he wanted to bring 2 CB at the start of the season, but Rossell never let oaches chose players ( The reason why Guardiola mainly left ).

The Arrival of Neymar and all the internal issues, he still succeded to win his first Clasico, with beautiful Football and with the defense we know. Barça were on top, qualified in other competitions...etc

Then the famous february came, the same thing happened last year, we lost everything in one week. I think Valdes injury and Neymar revealed salary ruined the season, with the Valdes of 2014 we could have done much better...

So yeah, im not satisfied with Martino. It seems that the post of Barcelona coach is a little bigger than him, but he proved in first leg that he was a brilliant manager.

The out of form of a team for 2 weeks in a year is usual in Football, but it happened in the most important week of the year, and in Spain, the punishement is immediate...
I want also to know if he was obliged to play with Neymar as starter or not, seing Alexis and Pedro in the bench was hurting in some games.

It would be interesting to see who will succed to him, all those things were not his decision at all, i only didnt like the way he kept playing Fabregas and Xavi in the same time ( Proven failure many times ), i also think Fabregas should be playing at false nine or get benched.

This Barça needs equilibrium, we have quality and skills, we need hardworkers, a finisher to change style at times and some tall defenders with good passing qualities and you have the most complete team in the world.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Boix I understand your point, but im waiting to know who will replace him, i think it could have been much worse.
He isnt responsible for Neymar signing and he wanted to bring 2 CB at the start of the season, but Rossell never let oaches chose players ( The reason why Guardiola mainly left ).

The Arrival of Neymar and all the internal issues, he still succeded to win his first Clasico, with beautiful Football and with the defense we know. Barça were on top, qualified in other competitions...etc

Then the famous february came, the same thing happened last year, we lost everything in one week. I think Valdes injury and Neymar revealed salary ruined the season, with the Valdes of 2014 we could have done much better...

So yeah, im not satisfied with Martino. It seems that the post of Barcelona coach is a little bigger than him, but he proved in first leg that he was a brilliant manager.

The out of form of a team for 2 weeks in a year is usual in Football, but it happened in the most important week of the year, and in Spain, the punishement is immediate...
I want also to know if he was obliged to play with Neymar as starter or not, seing Alexis and Pedro in the bench was hurting in some games.

I , all those things were not his decision at all, i only didnt like the way he kept playing Fabregas and Xavi in the same time ( Proven failure many times ), i also think Fabregas should be playing at false nine or get benched.

This Barça needs equilibrium, we have quality and skills, we need hardworkers, a finisher to change style at times and some tall defenders with good passing qualities and you have the most complete team in the world.

GunnerAFC 10 years ago
Arsenal, England 47 1026