{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Official: AS Roma sack Rudi García
shpalman 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

(translated from AS Roma website)
enter image description here

AS Roma announces that Rudi García was relieved of coaching duties together with both assistants Frederic Bompard and Claude Fichaux.

The French manager, who won the Ligue 1 with Lille in 2010/11, got the job at AS Roma on June 12th, 2013.
During his mandate AS Roma achieved the record of 10 consecutive wins in the first 10 games of the Serie A season 2013/14; he also brought the Giallorossi to two consecutive 2nd places in the Italian league.

Pallotta's statement:

" As AS Roma president, I wish to thank Mr.García for the important
contribution he gave to the team since his arrival in Rome; together we had many
positive moments, however we believe this is a good time for a change. "

Rudi García will be replaced by Luciano Spalletti, who will set himself back to Roma for the first training tomorrow.

sources:
asroma.com,
gazzetta.it

Comments
JozeMourinho 8 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

Mixed feelings about Rudi :(. He made me believe that Roma would be crowned as Serie A champions this year and now the team is falling apart by poor results! Can't say its deserved sack or not though.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11426

While I don't know much about the guy and I do feel bad for him, I thinking there were not a lot of option for the team. When you have a team like that and you cannot produce better result thant what he did, then, they're is not a lot of hope as a manager. Wish him the best but I'm really curious to see how his replacement will affect the Serie A. Can you guy tell me more about that Luciano Spalletti guy? He seem to have done good thing for both Roma and for Zenith.

Marcus2011 8 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Lets hope he is not coming to Chelsea ...

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11426

@Marcus2011 Nah, I believe Hiddinks will be staying till the end of the season.

liomessi10 8 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

that was pretty stupid tbh. even nuno sacking was.

Eden17Hazard17 8 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

All sackings are pretty stupid to be honest. All clubs have such high expectations of their managers these days. This reminds me of something I read after Loftus Cheek's goal against Scunthorpe.

We haven't had a first team regular who has come from the academy since John Terry. Why? Because our managers have such high expectations that they can't afford to play youngsters as they fear failure. They don't have any room to experiment. Only when a manager has held the reigns for a long time and built a empire supported completely by the board, do they have room to experiment and grow youngsters. Unless we stick with out manager (well we wasted that chance), JT will be the last academy product to become a first team regular.

Tuanis 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Well... it was going t happen eventually. But is doesn't seem fair to sack a guy who built a team and placed it in the top spots of Europe and specially Italy. He had a rough 4-5 months with the team but he was a great coach for sure. I dont believe sacking him atm was the best idea, it won't do any good for Roma.

shpalman 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

^ Roma was performing very poorly since last year now. the 2 KOs vs Barca and Bayern were perfectly avoidable, the latter compromised an entire season. it is very possible that the board sensed that the team would face the same fate in this current season and went for the sack. if we look at the trend, just 1 won over the last 10, the decision becomes more understandable. furthermore as far i understand, most of the dressing room was not with him anymore, Totti included, which would mean a huge deal. García achieved some good things with Roma, he arrived in a period of total chaos, was a breath of fresh air in the start, the light to follow. he had lot of appeal with the players also because he was unknown, the new thing. he had to give confidence back to an entire city, and he did. in this phase many individuals in the team shone, Maicon for example; they had Totti and Strootman fit. the squad was well balanced as all the pieces of the puzzle were fitting together and performing as expected. despite this, in their 1st season under García, Roma ended 2nd in the league at a staggering 17 points below Juventus. still, it was definitely not a bad result for a 1st season in the Serie A, so the whole city was strongly believing in a Scudetto coming in the next season. in the next season tho' García started to get sucked in the city drama. and that's the difficult part when you are coaching AS Roma. that's also the reason why Roma never managed to firmly establish themselves as a proper winning side, in Italy and in Europe. as a Roma coach you need to keep a certain distance, draw some lines with the city, or the city will suck you up. Capello was good at it and he managed to win a Scudetto with them. García lost it in the match vs Juventus (2014), there is where the whole "violin thingy" happened and it's where he got fully sucked in the drama. then Bayern happened. the city was still convinced they could win the Scudo tho', but the team started to perform very poorly and... you know the rest of the story. the meme "pulling a Roma" is emblematic.

García managed to rebuild a team and get them CL football, and that's what he should be proud about.

meanwhile, Spalletti arrived in Rome.
one of the best coaches in Europe, he's the guy who made AS Roma play that beautiful football in the mid 2000s. he's the first to have used the 4-2-3-1 in modern football and its evolution, the 4-6-0 (2005). the latter was then used by Ferguson in 2008.

Spalletti got 1 month to get the team together for the match vs Real Madrid, i'm very excited to see how it'll turn out.

Marcus2011 8 years ago

@eden +1

That is one of the main problems . Every manager comes to our club brings his players and tries to please the board and owner . It is a fear of failure and being fired as many others that forced every manager to sit those talented young players on the bench .

Marcus2011 8 years ago

@shpalman enter image description here

JozeMourinho 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@Shpalman If football would work like that there would be no Sir Alex since he would be sacked from his 1st seasons. This is why I am jealous of the United Board they let the guy work and achieved everything with Manchester United. If 10 poor games are worth sacking a manager who won Ligue 1 with Lille and fixed the chaos of AS Roma are understandable then Spalleti will not last long either if the players perform below their standards. If the players bend over and achieve to be eaten alive by Barcelona and Bayern even in their own home the manager can't enter the pitch and play for them. You can't let the city manage the team when Garcia is already a proven manager and if he lost the dressing room for 10 bad games the president should speak with the players not point his finger towards the manager.

If AS Roma would have the quality of Juventus things would be different ,17 points behind is not just a managers fault. Just compare the quality of Roma to Juventus and ask yourself how hard it is to beat that team.
Compare Tevez to a Totti who is unarguably a LEGEND of football but his age means he is past his prime.

I think the Roma board can only blame themselves just compare what players Juventus can lure to their club just by their name and wealth. AS Roma was lying to themselves if they thought they could win Serie A just by Garcia and not so super team compared to Juventus.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Shpalman If football would work like that there would be no Sir Alex since he would be sacked from his 1st seasons. This is why I am jealous of the United Board they let the guy work and achieved everything with Manchester United. If 10 poor games are worth sacking a manager who won Ligue 1 with Lille and fixed the chaos of AS Roma are understandable then Spalleti will not last long either if the players perform below their standards. If the players bend over and achieve to be eaten alive by Barcelona and Bayern even in their own home the manager can't enter the pitch and play for them. You can't let a the city manage the team when Garcia is already a proven manager and if he lost the dressing room for 10 bad games the president should speak with the players not point his finger towards the manager.

If AS Roma would have the quality of Juventus things would be different ,17 points behind is not just a managers fault. Just compare the quality of Roma to Juventus and ask yourself how hard it is to beat that team.
Compare Tevez to a Totti who is unarguably a LEGEND of football but his age means he is past his prime.

I think the Roma board can only blame themselves just compare what players Juventus can lure to their club just by their name and wealth. AS Roma was lying to themselves if they thought they could win Serie A just by Garcia and not so super team compared to Juventus.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11426

Well, its really depend on the team, some board are a lot more fair on their manager. While other will sack the manager as soon as things are not going their way. I agree that its not cool but thats modern football, sady. :(

shpalman 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

@Marcus, care to elaborate?

@Joze

If football would work like that there would be no Sir Alex since he
would be sacked from his 1st seasons.

football has changed.
losing a season nowadays is not like losing a season 10-15 years ago. today there are some clubs who rely on CL money to improve their team, Roma are one of them. i am not for the easy sacking me too and i am totally against the money-football, in my comment i just described the facts, hardly opinionated. it is also a fact that Roma has no game since last season now, and that's coach responsibility. then, i always wonder how people can come easy and have an opinion about realities they don't follow. for example if you had followed Roma, which doesn't mean watching a couple of highlights, you would certainly know that this was the only solution to give the team a push. Garcia in Rome is done, more as a man than as a coach. Roma would need Juventus mentality, not Juventus players, and that starts by the board, the city and finally the team. lot of people for example think "woah, see? Allegri is winning at Juventus, not true that he's just a decent coach, he has to be one of the best". what people don't know, is that Juventus mentality as a club is pushing Allegri, keeping his butt on fire. take this current season, if Allegri wasn't "whipped" by the board, now you'd still see Juventus sitting in mid table. Milan board wasn't capable to do that, and allowed him to fall into his own slackness, with all the team following. Roma's board tried to do that with Garcia, but he was too blind to admit that everything was falling, that usually calls for bad, bad troubles. talking about quality and players, does Napoli have more quality than Juventus? are you saying that Roma doesn't have what it takes, in terms of players, to get to 2nd/3rd spot?

JozeMourinho 8 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@shpalman Football has changed because it is treated like a product that is what I believe, also I never took the reply as your opinion I just saw it as your point of view about the situation of AS Roma. You would understand that if you would read a bit more careful and by not always going defense mode :).

A football team is not only the manager when a team keeps losing there is no way at least for me that is 100% the managers fault. Roma never had the Juventus mentality because they dont have the players to reach that mentality. You can't expect the Roma players to have the quality to demolish Juventus when Juventus has simply better squad in almost every position. Let me explain you why I say this. Juventus reached the UCL Final and on their way they KO'd Real Madrid. Under what SUPERMAN-form Roma could achieve this? Their defense was Olympiakos defense from Greece and when did Olympiakos even reached a semi-final with that defense? You can't expect players from a low league like we have in Greece to win you a Serie A title that is how I see it. Tevez as I said before is better than Totti since Francesco is past his prime. I totally agree with the phrase you said ''that starts with the board'' because simply compare the players Juventus enforces their squad with the ones Roma does... Few miles difference for me. Allegri is not the best but I am pretty sure he knows how football works and when you bring up a new squad you can't expect them to have such a high chemistry and quality in the pitch from day 1. The only thing I did not predict was Napoli at the top of the table this season everybody with some football knowledge would expect Juventus to not perform to their standards from the first months because it almost looks like a whole new team since their last season in the offense. For me the situation of Roma is simple, buy promising players and keep lying to yourself you can compete with Juventus. Roma MAYBE has what it takes for 2nd/3rd spot but with AC Milan/Inter slowly rising they will eventually lose that place and they can only blame themselves for this. By all means Roma is a great team that I always respected and admired but it does not have what it takes to be called Serie A champions and never forget that the guy who finishes 2nd is the 1st loser.

Also every board pushes the manager for better results all teams do that all teams want to win cups and achieve glory to fill their shelves with Trophies to be proud of. Even when I had my 1st steps on football playing for an unknown team with the lowest of payment our president came and asked to do more and always kept pushing and motivating our manager to achieve promotion. The problem is either you blame the manager or you simply look at the mirror and judge yourself as well. That is how you become better in everything not just football. In fewer words I find you completely wrong on this. You can't expect a Serie A title by buying defenders from a team worse than you and expect to compete with the likes of Juventus when their defense can't stop the Faroe Islands[a squad with not even professional players]

I don't mean to start an argument I just like discussing here with people about football, read their football views have a civilized conversation and try to get something by their opinion. I hope you won't put me even further in your black list for simply disagreeing with you AGAIN.

shpalman 8 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

@Joze

Football has changed because it is treated like a product that is what I believe

yes, that's pretty much what it is nowadays.

Roma never had the Juventus mentality because they dont have the players to reach that mentality.

it's not just about the players, but as we said it's also about the board, the coach and in this case, the whole city of Rome.

Juventus reached the UCL Final and on their way they KO'd Real Madrid. Under what SUPERMAN-form Roma could achieve this? Their defense was Olympiakos defense from Greece and when did Olympiakos even reached a semi-final with that defense? You can't expect players from a low league like we have in Greece to win you a Serie A title that is how I see it.

in the 1st year of Garcia mandate the squad was stacked, injuries free and with a fit Totti. not better, but not even worse than Juve, just a different beast. then Maicon performance dropped, Strootman got injured, Totti injured, Castan injured. Manolas is actually a good defender. that's what made Roma worse than Juve on the players' side. Roma have plenty of issues on the back, but not because they have Olimpiakos' defense; it's because of the injuries and important old players in crucial positions who don't have a replacement. you may ask yourself where's Garcia's responsibility in this. Garcia had to raise the alarm and buy suitable players to cover up the holes. i'd like to point out that Garcia has a huge say in Roma's mercato. together with him the Sport director too didn't feel to fix the squad where it was needed, leaving a defense in pain, short on subs and with Florenzi (very ductile player) re-adapted as RB. so, Garcia's and board's responsibility here.

If the players bend over and achieve to be eaten alive by Barcelona and Bayern even in their own home the manager can't enter the pitch and play for them.

now, knowing the aforementioned situation with the squad, what in the world made Garcia think that they could take on Bayern and Barca playing an high defensive line? see what i mean when i say that here too it was Garcia's responsibility.

Garcia made his own mistakes and i think what brought to the sack was mostly his reluctancy to recognize the problems and live with the situation, which would then result in a clone of the previous season. i don't like the sacking sagas, but i put myself in the shoes of those who put the money, and suddenly i feel enlightened.

I hope you won't put me even further in your black list for simply disagreeing with you AGAIN.

now this is your fav game, isn't it?
you're not on my black list and surely you won't end there just because you may have different opinions about things. like i said, don't keep trying to go this way, because it's the wrong one.

Marcus2011 8 years ago

@shpalman

We don't need manager . We need brains in the board and someone smack Abramovich back to senses because changing new managers does not bring stability . It did bring titles but until recently Loftus has been first academy player since 2006 if I am not mistaken who scored a goal ... After all that money we spend on academy , we still get managers who bring their own guys .

Also players need to have some pride already . After all it is them who are kicking the ball and when they are considered as 5 star player but can't outplay one on one 2 or 3 star player than we need to raise serious questions wether they deserve the money they get paid and wether they deserve to play for big club like Chelsea .

JozeMourinho 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@shpalman

Oh and Roma 1-1 Hellas Verona just now. :)

• History

@shpalman It is not my favorite game you are simply biased towards members you like and members you dislike. Also you tried to pass a pathetic joke as a cultural one and kept defending with the result the whole thread to be off-topic for a while, myself on the other hand tried to explain that you were wrong to act like that as a mod and even when I myself admitted you are doing your job fine you completely ignored that and you started fixing my comments and left my wall a warning removing me from your friend-list since I did not put my tongue up your ass. I don't have anything against you I simply don't chew my words.

Oh and Roma 1-1 Hellas Verona just now. :)

• Jan 17, 2016 at 16:01 · comment edited by shpalman
shpalman 8 years ago Edited
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

^ says boards should be patient and trust managers ---> points out Roma drawing again with the new manager in charge, meaning nothing is changed.

well, give it time son ;)

• History

^ says boards should be patient and trus managers ---> points out Roma drawing again with the new manager in charge.

well, give it time son ;)

JozeMourinho 8 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

@shpalman Again you read what you want to read. No point discussing it further, I will just watch my screen while the Roma season is burning.

Emobot7 8 years ago Edited
538 11426

@shpalman Don't worry about Joze, as a Chelsea fan, I think it's normal he's feel annoyed by all the sacking going on in the football world. I understand both point though but I would agree with you. I'm also impressed at Spalleti record, he got the best manager award a bunch of time in the league he managed in.

• History

@shpalman Don't worry about Joze, as a Chelsea fan, I think it's normal he's feel annoyed by all the sacking going on in the football world. I understand both point though but I would agree with you. I'm also impressed at Spalleti record, he got the best manager award a bunch of time in the league he played in.