Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

North London XI and its Competitiveness
Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

I came across an interesting "Mirror" article that posed these 2 questions:
#1- If you could make a starting XI composed of Arsenal & Spurs players what would it look like?
#2 - Would your team be good enough to win the league?

I ask that you chose you starting XI & you should also include 7 subs & the manager. They should be chosen on overall quality & current form.

This is Mine...

Manager: AVB
System: 4-2-3-1

LLoris
Sagna   Dawson   Vertonghen  Monreal
            Dembele   Wilshere
Walcott           Cazorla            Bale
                     Podolski

Subs: Friedel, Gibbs, Sandro, Holtby, Rosicky, Lennon, Defoe

Would they win the league?: MAYBE. They would be thereabouts but the biggest problem is in the CF position. Still with all the firepower in that team I would argue that it is worth a good bet.

Comments
Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

oops, I forgot to put a CB in my subs. Edit = remove Rosicky (sorry buddy but your not match fit) & replace with Vermaelen

raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

That team has potential. But I think at the moment all London clubs really lack a quality striker. 
I would form up:
Formation-4-1-2-1-2
Manager-AVB (sorry wegner I'm not a big fan of your style)

Lloris
Walker-Dawson-Vertonghen-Vermaelen
                 Holtby
         Wilshire   Cazorla
                  Bale
           Giroud Podolski
Subs: Szeznic (can't spell his name sorry :p) Kos Sagna Arteta Lennon Dempsey Defoe
Am I the only one that enjoys putting together two strikers like the early 2000s?
I believe they could be top two. 

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Lloris
Walker -- Vermaelen -- Vertonghen -- Monreal
                                  Sandro
     Lennon -- Wilshire -- Cazorla -- Bale
                                 Podolski

Bench: Friedel, Sagna, Caulker, Dembele, Holtby, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Looks light on strikers, but I would use Walcott as relief for any of Lennon, Bale or Podolski, and Bale can replace Podolski at CF to make room for the Ox.

It would be a good team, no doubt about it.

Especially with Kaboul, Gibbs, Giroud, Holtby, and Arteta (and others) in the squad, for extra rotation.

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

hmmm... some interesting thoughts:

@Lodatz: would you start Lennon over Walcott? He's def. on form but I feel Walcott's Goals & assists def. make him a starter.
As for the CDM I was debating between Sandro & Dembele. I know Dembele has been a bit more of a box-to-box player under AVB but I think he'd be a good strong holding mid and has the quality to spray the balls a bit as a quarterback.
As for RB, I don't either are particularlhy great atm but I'd take Sagna experience and defensive nouse at the end.

@raimondo:you did even put Walcott on the bench lol
I think this group is better set up for a 4-2-3-1 because if you put 2 up top you will either 1) negate the influence of game-changing wingers (Bale, Walcott, Lennon) or 2) weaken the defensive solidity of the team by leaving too much space between the players. But if you insisted on playing 2 up top, I would def. play Giroud with Walcott, rather than Poldi as I think they would combine far better as a bigman/littleman tandem  Then you'd have to play Sandro as the DM screen and Bale as the wingback instead of the CAM.

Do you agree?

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@Foot:

re: Lennon over Walcott -- I would, yes. For me, Lennon should have been England's right winger for the past 6 years, I believe that if he'd been playing for United, Liverpool or you lot, he would have been. He's a much more consistent worker, and also these days he tracks back a hell of a lot; I've seen him chase down players at left-back, let alone on his own flank. Walcott edges Lennon in pace, but it's by a very, very slim margin, and I think Lennon has more trickery in his feet, and fewer bad choices. I can see why someone would differ, but those are my reasons.

Of course, being able to sub one for the other would be a wonderful bonus. ;D

re: DM -- Sandro over Dembele all the way. He was an absolute beast in DM before injury, up there with the best in Europe stats-wise, and his one-man coverage of the holding position is what allowed Dembele to roam forward so much in the first half of the season at all. Parker's a plucky terrier, but not the alsatian that Sandro is, and Dembele has had to help him out a lot (hence a lot of our stagnation problems in midfield lately). I'm bold enough to say that when fit, there is no DM in the country I would rather have than Sandro.

And since Wilshire and Cazorla both peg Dembele in the attacking midfield stakes, he'll have to start on the bench, under my regime. ;)

re: RB -- fair enough. I think Walker's got the better defensive nous, but, that's subjective and hard to measure, so it's really down to preference. I don't believe that Sagna is worse than Walker; I just prefer the latter.

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

fair points and arguments. Still think walcott more of a threat but you're the manager ;)

raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

The team I made is mostly focused at playing through the center. Yes it might not be the best option with the great wingers I could choose forms but I think this would result in a better way to
Combine the teams. Walcott is good but very inconsistent and as for playing a striker I trust Giroid Podolski or Defoe more. Bale I've noticed he has free range of position, starting at either side but always making runs towards the center. Place him as a CAM and he will tear down teams while always having 4 options (them being wilshire Cazorla Giroid Podolski). I think Bale would be more efficient and lethal used in a central role with free range of movement. I think defensively the team is sound. Holtby and Wilshire being tasked Mids to track back and help out would be enough to cover and assist the string back 4. But this is a game of tactics, which I love, you can't really express all of that in just stating a like up I suppose. 

MRarsenal500 11 years ago
Arsenal, England 59 741

vermaelen is better than dawson 

GunnerAFC 11 years ago
Arsenal, England 47 1026

Lloris
Walker - Koscielny - Vertonghen - Monreal
                           Sandro
     Walcott - Cazorla - Wilshere - Bale
                            Giroud

Subs: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Dembele, Holtby, Lennon, Defoe

GunnerAFC 11 years ago
Arsenal, England 47 1026

I'll have AVB as the manager. 

Knowing Wenger he would probably sell Bale and bring in Downing as his ideal replacement.

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

lloris
walker                                    vermaealen          vertonaghen         monreal

wilshere

walcott                          dembele                               cazorla              bale

podolksi

20ROBINVANPERSIE 11 years ago
Manchester United, England 26 349

what about a manchester XI vs north london XI

manchester XI

HART

ZABALETA   KOMPANY  VIDIC ( his played a few but his been awsome) EVRA

NANI       TOURE    KAGAWA    SILVA

RVP        ROONEY

london XI

Lloris
Walker -- Vermaelen -- Vertonghen -- Monreal