Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Moyes explains his brutal decision to substitute Odubeko vs Man Utd
FootballGuy 3 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Spain 36 125

Teenage Odubeko appeared to crestfalled on the bench having suffered the ignominy of having been substituted, but Moyes revealed afterwards he was pleased to give the teenager the experience of such a big occasion.

Explaining his decision, Moyes said: ‘He played a long time in the game but I had an experienced player in Manuel Lanzini who I was trying to get into the side tonight and as the game went on and with the substitutions, I just did not have the opportunity to do so earlier. ‘I am pleased the young player [Odubeko] got some minutes.’

On his side’s overall performance, Moyes added: ‘I am really pleased with the performance the players put in.

I wasn’t pleased in the first-half because I didn’t think we played well enough and we gave Manchester United too much respect and stayed off them. ‘But the injuries forced us into a change and the changes helped us at half-time, I thought we played much better after that.

I am coming away from Old Trafford disappointed that we didn’t at least get a chance to go to penalty kicks as I thought we warranted that.’

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Teenage Odubeko appeared to crestfalled on the bench having suffered the ignominy of having been substituted, but Moyes revealed afterwards he was pleased to give the teenager the experience of such a big occasion.

Explaining his decision, Moyes said: ‘He played a long time in the game but I had an experienced player in Manuel Lanzini who I was trying to get into the side tonight and as the game went on and with the substitutions, I just did not have the opportunity to do so earlier. ‘I am pleased the young player [Odubeko] got some minutes.’

On his side’s overall performance, Moyes added: ‘I am really pleased with the performance the players put in.

I wasn’t pleased in the first-half because I didn’t think we played well enough and we gave Manchester United too much respect and stayed off them. ‘But the injuries forced us into a change and the changes helped us at half-time, I thought we played much better after that.

I am coming away from Old Trafford disappointed that we didn’t at least get a chance to go to penalty kicks as I thought we warranted that.’