Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Millwall Fans Boo Players As They Take The Knee For 'Black Lives Matter'
Gennady 3 years ago
Manchester United 284 3961

Millwall fans booed as their players took the knee in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

The players, staff and match officials all took a knee at the start of the match between Millwall and Derby County at The Den, as fans returned for the first time since lockdown began.

Videos circulating on social media showed a significant number of supporters booing, with Kick It Out condemning the behaviour of those fans booing the gesture, and admitting they are “saddened”.

A statement from Kick It Out read: "We are saddened by the behaviour of fans booing the players taking the knee today at Millwall. What this demonstrates is that players are right to continue standing up to discrimination, whether that is through taking the knee or speaking out.

“The fight for racial equality continues and we will continue to work closely with clubs across the country to tackle discrimination in all its forms. We applaud the players for taking a stand and defying the hate shown today.”

Comments
Marcus2011 3 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

KEEP FOOTBALL AWAY FROM POLITICS!

I agree with MIlwal fans! If you think that racism exists only in European countries or West, then you live in a big bubble! You live even in a bigger bubble if you think minorities or blacks have racism worse than anywhere in the world. By far more blacks suffer in Africa, South America and Asia than in the western countries. I urge to read about wars, racism and crimes that are happening in those countries! They are by far more gruesome and evil with a intent to wipe out! Yet, I don't see rest of the world doing anything as much as the West, not even 1% of that , about fighting racism, systematic oppression and discrimination.

Every tool is being applied, but please stop using sports as politics. If player is making a statement on his personal time, even during the game, to use his celebrity platform, then yes please go ahead! FIFA, or UEFA, FA can fine him and if he thinks it is worth it then good for him. However, not entire football club officially backed by FA, UEFA AND FIFA..

if football players feel it is ok to express their political discourse on the field then Millwall fans have every right to protest because they pay their wages.

Emobot7 3 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Marcus2001 Pretty sure the Millwal fans don't know about all the thing you are saying though. Anyway, I don't think racism and standing agaisnt racism can be called politics at this point. Its more of a question of a moral and of code of conduct. Football alway been against racism way before all those controversy happened in the United State. Its at its root for me. Sure, the sensibilisation and act those players are taking are because of those things and yes, they are there worse act of racist than those we heard in the state recently. But does that mean that because there have been worse thing at other place or at other times mean we gotta ignore those event that are still unnaceptable? Not in my opinion.

Personally, I can understand people getting fed up with the gesture of player taking the knee, I know I did before in front of my tv at time. But does that mean the player and footballs federation should stop pushing to sensibilize people about the topic of racism? Once again, I don't think so. Seeing how deeply hatred for other race is still rooted in some of the world most open-minded culture and society is truly worrying in 2020. It show sign that were are regressing culturally.

For me, its a cause too important and too dear to players for it to be ignored. Football will alway be politics at a certain level but for me, figthing back isn't about it. Its about being cultivated human beings who believe that difference between them and others isn't reason enough for oppression.

And no matter if the player wage is being paid by the fans, they should never have to stop figthing for a cause so important to them and that touch some of them so personally, no matter the amount of money. That how I feel at least.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Marcus2001 Pretty sure the Millwal fans don't know about all the thing you are saying though. Anyway, I don't think racism and standing agaisnt racism can be called politics at this point. Its more of a question of a moral and of code of conduct. Football alway been against racism way before all those controversy happened in the United State. Its at its root for me. Sure, the sensibilisation and act those players are taking are because of those things and yes, they are there worse act of racist than those we heard in the state recently. But does that mean that because there have been worse thing at other place or at other times mean we gotta ignore those event that are still unnaceptable? Not in my opinion.

Personally, I can understand people getting fed up with the gesture of player taking the knee, I know I did before in front of my tv at time. But does that mean the player and footballs federation should stop pushing to sensibilize people about the topic of racism? Once again, I don't think so. Seeing how deeply hatred for other race is rooted in some of the world most open-minded culture and society is truly worrying in 2020. It show sign that were are regressing culturally.

For me, its a cause too important and too dear to players for it to be ignored. Football will alway be politics at a certain level but for me, figthing back isn't about it. Its about being cultivated human beings who believe that difference between them and others isn't reason enough for oppression.

And no matter if the player wage is being paid by the fans, they should never have to stop figthing for a cause so important to them and that touch some of them so personally, no matter the amount of money. That how I feel at least.

Lodatz 3 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Harry Kane said this:

“I think we are a huge platform to share our voices across the world, to be honest,” Kane told Nihal Arthanayake on BBC Radio 5 Live. “Obviously we have done a lot with Black Lives Matter and taking the knee before games. I hear people talking about taking the knee and whether we should still be doing it, and for me I think we should.

“What people don’t realise sometimes is we are watched by millions of people around the world, and of course for the person who watches the Premier League every week, they see the same thing every week.

“But I think if you look around the world, you see children watching the game for the first time, seeing us all take a knee and asking their parents why we take the knee … I think it’s a great chance for people to explain why and get their point across. I think education is the biggest thing we can do - adults can teach generations what it means, and what it means to be together and help each other, no matter what your race.”

I don’t like it when people say we should just play football and stick to kicking a ball.. because we are a huge platform. We come across to millions around the world. Our voices should be heard.”

Personally I think it's a bit overdone, but you can't really fault the motivation. Politics has always been part of football, from Ruud Gullit at AC Milan to Didier Drogba stopping a civil war, plus of course all the fascist ideology on display at many Italian (and Spanish) clubs. Compared to that last one, taking a knee to spread the message that racism is bad is a pretty decent sentiment. I might not be overly impressed, but it takes 10 seconds and then my life goes on.

No need to boo it, and let's be fair, if ANYONE was going to boo it, it was going to be Millwall. Along with Chelsea and West Ham, they don't exactly have the cleanest record when it comes to racially abusing players.

expertfootball11 3 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Taking the knee once or twice is good, but taking it every single time, like I was watching TY on AFTV... makes me kinda laugh... It's opportunism, not sincere commitment to what they believe. And yes I do not want to be reminded of freaking politics at the start of every single friggin game

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

@expertfootball The problem is that booing the player taking the knee doesn't really seem like a message against politic but more against the reason they are taking the knee. If it really bother fan, there is better way to make than to boo the fan. If it really was only a question of being annoyed at politic in football, they could have used other way to make a statement.

I agree with Kane statement that Lodatz shared: Education on that topic for the new generation is really important. We've been seeing some really alarming news and developement in the last few years that seem to tell that racism has been getting worse.

Like it said, it take 10 second before a game, not the end of the word and its for a worthy cause. Nothing worth booing players in my opinion at least.