Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Messi's goal vs Betis
Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

What is so special about his third goal?

I have seen him score better ones and against much better oppositions.. yet whats the fuzz ? Maybe i am missing something. I am from generation that has seen some amazing pool of talented players in late 90s and 2000s, and they also have scored better goals than that against Betis but apparently only Messi can do this and we never seen anything like it? ok.

When the dust settles, and the hype goes away history will calmly without emotions assess career of this player but without a doubt Messi is one of the greatest players ever to play the game. Yet, I hate this over exaggeration by media.

Comments
Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

The annoying thing about non-Barca Messi fans is that you can't even criticize Messi without getting ridiculed. It's all nice and dandy when everyone criticizes Ronaldo for being a narcissistic diva who is emotionally turbulent, but God forbid anyone ever questions Messi's big-game performances or lack of leadership.

And who was it that brought up Ronaldo? @Tuan

Why not praising him ? That’s press job. They do it even when Ronaldo scores a PK.

It was @tiki who initiated Ronaldo into the conversation. It was perfectly justifiable for @Tiki to compare Messi to Ronaldo, I just pointed out that I didn't agree with him. And @Marcus was asking a simple question, really: There are many excellent goals like this scored every week, even by world-class players. Messi's one only gets a large amount of attention because Messi is a media favorite.

But you had to step in with this nonsense.

That is bullshit.

I am denying it BIG TIME!

Everywhere I read, Ronaldo is regarded deservedly as the BEST player of the round, his hat-trick was weighted DEFINITELY higher than Messi's 2 goals and 2 assists combined. The media praised Messi's performance just because it was good. Ronaldo's performance and is everywhere VOTED as Player of the Week in UCL.

There will be bias, absolutely. But dont take it like ROnaldo is the victim of Messi's media love bullcrap. Ronaldo has as much, if not the biggest praise from the media on everything he does. Both are also the biggest victims of media.

So really, who exactly was it that began the argument by ignorantly stating that Ronaldo is more (or equally) favored by the media as Messi? Oh that's right, you still haven't addressed my point about the media members I mentioned. Likely because I'm right. :)

Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Emo is trying to be a clever little lad and accuse @Marcus and myself of unjustifiably hating Messi and demeaning his accomplishments, but I haven't once seen either @Marcus or myself say Messi is not one of the greatest ever, or that his accomplishments aren't out of this world.

I understand @Tiki's perspectives on Madrid and Ronaldo since he's very emotionally invested into Barcelona and Messi, but perhaps @Emo and @Tuan need to re-evaluate which club they support and which player they favor, because it seems to me that anytime Messi is criticized, both of you get extremely emotional.

This is coming from a guy who actually owns an authentic Barcelona jersey of Messi, BTW. Just to point my middle finger at those who seem to think that because I criticize Messi it must mean that I absolutely hate the guy. From the first day I've seen him play, he's been one of my favorite players. Only conflict of interest is the club jersey he puts on his back. :)

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

All of those are nothing compared to this one.

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@dynast i initiated nothing, that was an example. Numerous headlines with Ronaldo taking off his shirt to celebrate a penalty made the highlights of all media press arround the world. I just stated how it works.

And talking about bias, yes they are right. You compared Ronaldo to a titan while scoring two headers and a pk, I did too. Because he deserved it. But here, what is the purpose of this thread. Half of your threads are about Ronaldo, donated this, break this record or that. It’s your right.

Actually you can list all the goals that you think are better or similar, but none have the consistency of Ronaldo-messi. Ronaldo was praised by the whole planet, his celebration may cost him tho but he wasn’t hailed for the beauty of the goals...

Messi got and incredible march, best scorer in Europe, league and CL playing as a 10, best mark 9/10, most chances created in Europe 3,6 per game, best dribbler, 4,2 per game, most free kick in the season in Europe, most Motm.
Got applause by Sevilla, one week later applauded by Betis with 10 mark and Motm in both games...

It’s so unfair to praise him right now while he is carrying his team, not just poaching.
In games like Atleti if there is no pass, a poacher won’t touch the ball, against Sevilla, Messi started the actions before finishing them, he is literally replacing midfielders work... he is praised for the whole night not for his last goal.

It would be idiotic or extremely bad intentioned to claim that it was for his goal. He won’t win puskas award, no shit Sherlock.

At 31 yo, with the alien season he is doing, the only thread about him in here is about that ? And from who ? One of his biggest fans lol...
Better let Messi alone, even if you look for excuses to hate on him, you won’t find lately lol.

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Seriously though, what a goal that was, brilliant goal. Excellent vision, excellent performance, excellent player. This man continues to surprise us with his performances.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

Rude year for Pep and Messi haters, @pelle a hater is someone who doesn’t admit greatness even when he sees it and keep being in denial or waiting for the failure. Silence in good moments, and very noisy after the elemination...
I can detect easily bias/hate/banter. I may have hated Ronaldo for a short period : when in my eyes he was only focus on tap ins and try to outscore and get BO rather than win the league or celebrate with teammates. Actually not seeing him wearing white and specially his consistency forces everyone to respect the player, the work rate, the dedication, I still don’t like his atitude while under the spotlight.

Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Absolutely. I agree that Messi is the best player in the world right now. The only question is can he deliver in the UCL knockout stages because that's where he has been lacking in the past 5-6 years. Ronaldo has been regularly delivering in the UCL knockout stages, but just isn't as good of a player anymore because of age. They're both still miles ahead of whoever the fuck is at #3 lol.

In games like Atleti if there is no pass, a poacher won’t touch the ball, against Sevilla, Messi started the actions before finishing them, he is literally replacing midfielders work... he is praised for the whole night not for his last goal.

While that is fair, that still doesn't change two things

1. Only Ronaldo has, and probably can, put in the performances that he does. So you can't say that he "only" poaches. There is much more that goes into that role than poaching (off-ball movement, positioning, finishing ability, mentality)... things that are equally as important as being a good dribbler or a good passer like Messi. There is also much more involvement from Ronaldo's behalf than poaching, which you seem to insinuate. He's one of Serie A's top assisters and top chance creators. I've been watching Juve regularly, and he single-handedly carried them for large stretches of the season.
  2. Messi, while being asked to play a little deeper, still needs to perform that well in UCL knockouts (primarily QF and onwards). The last few years have been ugly from Messi & Suarez, and Barca in general. It's one thing to perform well in the league, but the UCL knockouts is where you make your legacy. Messi's was made in the UCL from 2009-2011, and now he needs to build on that legacy.
tiki_taka 5 years ago Edited

If Messi was a Madrid player after Xavi-Iniesta departure, he would have 2 trebles but 4 or 5.
He scored knock outs even if scoring is only one stat of the game, he isn’t flopping he still got as much impact as Modric...
I don’t know exactly how much he scored, but I reckon 2 goals vs Bayern in 2015, 3 against Chelsea last year, 2 against Lyon, numerous goals vs Arsenal, Vs Paris...
I can’t list all his goals I just don’t understand where it’s comming from ? He scored in 2 of the 3 finals he won being motm in the 3 finals...

As a fan I’m hoping him to perform and make the team win, not to score... if he can leave space for others to step up, it’s good for me.

Enrique last season defense was shit, took 4 in Paris and 3 at Juve, how can a player win something in those stupid circumstances. Last year he came half injured from national duty and Pique flopped vs Roma, accidental exit after dominating Chelsea...

Nobody in history has dominated the game the way he does week in week out, but still he won’t get 10 mark in 100% of the games...

For legacy, I disagree, it’s the way he plays the sport who made his legacy not the competition in it. You can watch him playing a friendly and see the magic, many incredible players never won CL because it’s not an individual sport... Maradona on a club basis only one two leagues, Totti only one and 0 CL...
Football is more than that. For me the “ he needs to do this or that “ is unnecessary specially when there isn’t only one player that won more collective silverwares: Dani Alves lol. Is Dani Alves the greatest ever ?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

If Messi was a Madrid player after Xavi-Iniesta departure, he would have 2 trebles but 4 or 5.
He scored knock outs even if scoring is only one stat of the game, he isn’t flopping he still got as much impact as Modric...
I don’t know exactly how much he scored, but I reckon 2 goals vs Bayern in 2015, 3 against Chelsea last year, 2 against Lyon, numerous goals vs Arsenal, Vs Paris...
I can’t list all his goals I just don’t understand where it’s comming from ? He scored in 2 of the 3 finals he won being motm in the 3 finals...

As a fan I’m hoping him to perform and make the team win, not to score... if he can leave space for others to step up, it’s good for me.

Enrique last season defense was shit, took 4 in Paris and 3 at Juve, how can a player win something in those stupid circumstances. Last year he came half injured from national duty and Pique flopped vs Roma, accidental exit after dominating Chelsea...

Nobody in history has dominated the game the way he does week in week out, but still he won’t get 10 mark in 100% of the games...

tiki_taka 5 years ago

To win CL you need rock solid defense first, incredible GK, a very good coach and experienced midlefield. And most of it, a very professional president and direction with a good footballing vision.
Ronaldo from 2009 to 2013 was doing nothing in CL. And without Ramos, you can take off 2 of the 4 CL...

If that’s the only critics we can have on this player then it’s fine, because we cannot criticize Totti for staying loyal to Roma after several Madrid assaults, and Messi could have left when Barca directiva had no clue on signing and managing...

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@amir Gotta concede its a beauty.

@dynast Wasn't actually trying to be smart or to say you hate Messi. Simply wanted to share how I felt about the whole thing. Personally thought pelle actually did a good job of making a difference between hate and bias. I only wanted to accuse you of the second, not the first, but fair enough, the way I worded it wasn't very clear and I apologize for that. However, like I said, I meant not hate by it. I still think you are one of the most awesome user on the forum and can bring very interesting topic and opinion, so please, forgive me if what I said sounded harsh, its true as well that I tend to side with Messi in these kind of topic which does make me bias as well and for that, I am sorry, I realize it can be annoying.

raimondo90 5 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Why are you guys even arguing about this?

Messi scored a good goal, finishing off a Hattrick. Got a standing ovation from Betis and people just hyped it up.

Guess there's not much to argue till the CL starts up again

_Pelle_ 5 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6884

Atletico Madrid is today what Valencia used to be 15-20 years ago. Defensive powerhouse with technically good players, reaching UCL finals. Valencia today is what Atletico Madrid was 15-20 years ago. A decent team but inconsistent, with an old arena and economical struggles.

bluezz 5 years ago
Chelsea 14 724

why is everyone thinking the post was hating on messi? LOL HE IS LITERALLY TALKING ABOUT THE GOAL EVEN SAID IT WAS GOOD. he is only asking why was the goal so overhyped as if he is the only one who can score that goal.

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

A very nice goal, but not the best he or others who have finished one similar have scored.

The fact that those who have pulled that one off is pretty amazing though. You have to have the confidence, have already seen the keeper off his line a bit, then work in a perfect touch to chip it over everyone and just under the bar. Tons of skill for sure.

Tuanis 5 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Looks like we've gone back to the 2016 FR forum where every single thread ended up being about Ronaldo vs Messi.
Ahh the good old forum days..

Amazing how people can't discuss about Messi without shoving in Ronaldo at some point. Or just can't simple give an argument without having to prove a point with Ronaldo..

Football is a very passionate game, there is going to be praise and there is going to be hate going all ways.

Agree with Raimondo. Seems like people don't have anything interesting to talk about at the moment.

Now on the more on topic side, just to close my case here. It appears to me that people, pundits and fans alike, are starting to realize that Messi's career is soon to be over. Which could explain why people are overhyping every little (or amazing) thing he does. People have been hit by the crude reality of Messi getting older, and the fact that one of this seasons maybe we won't see his greatness ever again. Holding on to what you have is all they can do, make it the most out of every game he plays in the last few seasons he's got. People understand once he's gone we won't be alive to see anything like it and it's better to cherish what we have before it's over.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

People have been hit by the crude reality of Messi getting older, and the fact that one of this seasons maybe we won't see his greatness ever again.

That hits hard...

But lolz, I dont really think about it yet. I do realize he's quite different now, some skills are better, but he's slower and lazier

Greatone 5 years ago
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

Can we just delete this thread. Or moderate it so that any comments about Messi v Ronaldo are taken down as they are off topic.

This thread is a shitshow and the people who are sane (those with rational arguments) should know better than to feed the retards. If we just ignore them and stop fueling them together then they will maybe stop spewing hate and anger all the time.

Pro tip: you can be passionate about football without being nasty

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Why delete everything? Just ignore it if you have nothing to contribute to it. I never like when threads get deleted.

Also, thank you for those who understood me. I obviously was talking about the goal and not Messi as a player but if people miss understood me then it is alright too. We are all charged to be instantly defensive and negative.

We live in a hype era. We hype every player to the point that sometimes they cost 5 times more than they should . I feel that Messi’s goal was overhyped because it was Messi who scored it. That goal shouldn’t establish some amazing achievements and new merit standard as if no one ever scored anything like it. Simple.

SoccerBoss 5 years ago
Barcelona, Russia 34 804

I've yet to comment on this thread, but I believe that Messi's last goal was celebrated a lot due to the fact that not only was it a good goal, but that it also completed another hat trick. Yes, the goal was not Messi's greatest, but we simply can't disregard it as a tap in or something similar. For example, if one watches the highlights from the second leg of Juventus vs. Athletico, and specifically Ronaldo's last goal, a typical penalty as always, you will notice that the commentator goes apeshit once he scores that penalty. No, the goal itself was not beautiful by any measures, but it was a goal that gave Ronaldo a hat trick as well as completed a comeback for Juventus. To score a chipshot from afar is not easy as well, and while it might've not been his most wonderful goal, the fact that it completed a hat trick made it more significant.

Greatone 5 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

because this whole thread is filled with negativity and toxicity instead of appreciation. if that's what you want out of this forum and life then good for you.

the whole basis of this thread is negative targeted towards a player's goal being over-hyped as opposed to the topic of how much the media influences our lives.

edit: sick of seeing so much hate on this forum and it isn't being curbed at all.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

because this whole thread is filled with negativity and toxicity instead of appreciation. if that's what you want out of this forum and life then good for you.

the whole basis of this thread is negative targeted towards a player's goal being over-hyped as opposed to the topic of how much the media influences our lives.