Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Man United vs Sevilla Post Talk - 2018
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

Ok, so I know this might still sting for United fan but can we agree Mou defensive tactic are really hit or miss now? Sevilla dominated them today and even for a neutral, it was just a dissapointing and painful defeat. Don't try to tell me United can't beat a team like Sevilla with the quality they have. I mean, come on, the spanish side best defender in that game was a 22 year old who used to play for a Ligue 2 last season and their striker who scored 2 come is from Toulouse, a team people generally have fun at because of its name. Obviously, there was great coaching from Sevilla but there should also have been great coaching from United. Dissapointed in Mourinho even more than usual today. :(

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Ok, so I know this might still sting for United fan but can we agree Mou defensive tactic are really hit or miss now? Sevilla dominated them today and even for a neutral, it was just a dissapointing and painful defeat. Don't try to tell me United can't beat a team like Sevilla with the quality they have. I mean, come on, the spanish side best defender in that game was a 22 year old who used to play for a Ligue 2 side a few year ago and their striker who scored 2 come from Toulouse, a team people generally have fun at because of its name. Obviously, there was great coaching from Sevilla but there should also have been great coaching from United. Dissapointed in Mourinho even more than usual today. :(

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

I want Martial back and I want him now.

My bro, you speak my secret desire out loud. I hope Mou bring him back asap. :S

We have the FA cup. Lets nail that

Thats the spirit my man, sure this season is dissapointing but there is still thing to look foward to. United should put all of their egg in the same basket.

trimind 6 years ago
Manchester United, Canada 3 533

I totally agree with what @tuan_jinn, @Emobot7, @SunFlash just said.

This game is by far the worst in the CL for a long time. Our loss against AC Milan side, with Kaka, Gatusso,..., were painful, but I had full hope in the team, to response and to come back stronger.

This loss to Sevilla is very, very different. It's a different kind of game, we lost and showed only the 'weak mentality' to it. Sevilla is average this season, and we made them look formidable. That's not the ManU that we all know.

I expect strong response from us, from the players. Sanchez is a great player, but he does not suit with defensive setup, he likes to dribble, make killer passes, and rarely wants to defend. In other words, he can play as a trequartista, and the whole team revolves around him, like Messi for Barcelona.

We have Pogba, but since the arrival of Sanchez, Pogba does not have the freedom as in the past, and it limits his ability. We have fantastic players, like Martial, Rashford. So why do we need someone of similar moulds, which is Sanchez , in the team?

I respect Mou for discovering and using McTominay, he can be as good as Matic one day. I really like it, because using youth player is ManU's tradition.

Apart from that, Mou with his defensive tatics did not produce any good results in important games. Maybe the one against Liverpool, but it was a one-off chance. We could not repeat it at it. I was wrong for praising Mou in that game, it was just a one off game.

The conclusion is this season is basically over for us, winning FA cup is nice but it should not be our final goal. Our ultimate aim is winning back the league next season, plus going as far as possible in the CL (I expect semi-final)! We need to show other teams that we are ManU. We need to play the game the right way. When they play against us, they have to sit and defend, not the other way around.

I am looking for a strong response from the team, from the players, from our manager (Mou needs to change). I will always stay loyal to the team, and I look forward to ManU response. What kind of mentality and performance will they show us? Attacking? Formidable? Highup pressing? We shall see.

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Mourinho is simply done as a top tier football manager. He became a joke, a meme, a mere shadow of what he once was.
I heard a friend saying before the game "I would much rather win like Inter than lose like Bayern" obviously referring to that last CL Mou won. If you have this kind of mentality you don't belong in Man UTD, as a fan or as a coach. I would rather play like Bayern, lose that final and still be relevant for the following decade instead of winning one of the worst CL runs ever and shortly after disappearing from top class football level for many years to come.

Mourinho is done, his tactics are not the worst there are but they don't belong anywhere near Man UTD. I would rather lose and see him stepping out than have United turned into a Chelsea/Inter/Atletico/whatever other defensive minded football team. This is not the manager to take United into success. Nor is he the manager to leave any kind of legacy whatsoever. I don't remember being so pissed in my entire life as a United fan.. Not even with Moyes or Van Gaal. Also, Im not one of those cringe worthy supporters who think they have to be positive all the time and support all the time no matter what. Fuck those kind of fans and their mentality. Mourinho is our manager, fine, but the team is shit with him so me hating or not is not going to make a different, why the fuck not just say what I think. It won't make me any less of a fan to express my self this way.

Now with the players.. Who the hell thought buying Pogba for 100+ millions was a good idea? And don't tell me about how much he sells because that myth regarding paying the fee only by selling jerseys is utter bullshit.

Pogba is a decent player that we all thought was going to perform the was a superstar does on any important team. But he seems to be way off in his football these days. But hey, he got a new haircut. And he probably had a new handshake celebration with Jesse to show the world on Tuesday so he could be trending in Twitter the following day. FFS... What has United become?

Players like Lingard, Smalling and Young wouldn't even be in the team if they weren't British! It's as simple as that. We might not have the best XI out there but its one of the most expensive ones in terms of wage and individual cost, so why don't we act like it? Players are laking heart and determination. It kills me to see De Gea, making a Balon d' Or worthy performance each other game, having to pick up the ball from behind the net knowing he deserves waaay better that this.

Another newer player like Lukaku is not fan favorites right now. Given that he misses a clear chance for every goal he scores. He is decent at most but I will still give him the benefit of the doubt for being his first season and for having to play under such tactics where you might get 2 or 3 chances per game and see what you can work with.

To finish the players sub-topic, I just want to emphasis how bad of a buyer United has become. Look around the EPL, most starters of the top 5 teams in the league where bought recently and I can assure you non of them were worth as much a Lukaku or Pogba. We have the money, just not the right idea on how to spend it. While Liverpool buys Saha and Tottenham buys Sanchez, we have to struggle to swap Mkhitaryan and buy Lindelof. While Arsenal get Kolasinac and Aubameyang for laughable fees we have to settle with Renewing Ibrahimovic's and Young's contracts. While Chelsea snatch Rudiger, Zappacosta, Bakayoko and Barkley we strive to bring Matic for a personal record transfer fee and pretend like he is going to solve the entire defense by himself. United has been shit at this for several seasons. How can the best PL player this season be a newcomer that signed for Liverpool because nobody else showed interest? Is it because we don't need any wingers rn?! Seriously...

I feel like one of those Arsenal fans they interview after each game on ArsenalFanTV. But this is much more serious. Because Arsenal are not as big right now, they didn't put as much into the team and didn't raise their fan's hopes so much for the season. And like Mourinho said, it is normal for a team like United to lose in this kind of instances, so why do we even get mad? Because it is fuuuucckking not normal!

Sorry guys, Im still mad about this. Writing about it only makes it worst. Enjoy my rage in text.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

I feel like one of those Arsenal fans they interview after each game on ArsenalFanTV.

There's a good reason for this, your contribution looks stupid from my point of view, let alone a neutrals. I can buy some of the stuff you're spewing, but some of it is just inane. Lukaku has had an excellent season, for one. Trying to throw Jesse Lingard under a bus when he's putting out more final third production than Hazard and Sanchez combined is simply insulting. I'd rather have Matic than all of those Chelsea players combined, and I'm not even sure Chelsea would disagree. Ditto Sanchez for Spurs, guy is the reason they're not playing UCL soccer anymore.

This post is super reactionary and ignores everything that's happened this season in favor of a single tie using a sensationalist viewpoint that has no basis in reality.

I would write out more but this article says everything I really want to.

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1100

As you all might have come to expect from me, I am pretty reserved in criticism and try to look at things from multiple sides.

Not this time! This was terrible for two reasons. One, and the main reason, the coach. Two, the players did not play with any true heart.......

The Coach:
Completely wrong tactic and to be honest, the line up set that tone from the jump. I get playing smart and looking to make sure you stay in a game, so defense is key, but DAMN MAN. Look at the offensive power this team has at its disposal and you don't even try to use half of it?????? I really though Mou would opt to play some attacking styles when taking the team over, given its offense threats, and we have seen it here and there, but Champions League is where it counts. Terrible coaching choices!

The Players:
Tactics are one thing, and they can set a team up for failure, but the players are ultimately the ones out there playing. I am not saying they should just go against the coach, but at some point, you have to gut check yourself and say, what the hell are we doing? They did not put in the effort to look for the win at all. This level a club needs to put a foot on the throat and step all over most teams. They don't have that killer instinct anymore and the coach has stripped them of any identity so that now, they are just going through the paces.

I am very disappointed in this teams performance and the players should hold themselves just as accountable.

Now, the part that bugs me most is Mou's comments after the game. Holly $%#& man, did you really just say that about a team with the history of Manchester United? Get the F outta here!

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

more history / "heritage". from my interpretation, mou is saying that he inherit a shit squad from lvg and he needs process and time to restructure. he also imply that he is among the best in the past 7 years of man utd.

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1100

I actually liked what he said. In this context, I like what he said. If the ownership is really on board like he says, of course, he can improve things.

Thing is though, tactics and formations don't rely on having only the best players in the world. A well-coached team, a solid game plan with the ability to adapt all carry players farther.

JaapStam 6 years ago
Manchester United, Australia 2 268

Thing is if it were played on paper we would be mincing teams. Fact of the matter that it isn't. Worse Man U teams have won titles, cups, European trophies UEL last year perfect example to secure CL football playing Ajax U-21's.

Bearing the fruit from last year was this years Sevilla game. Favourable draw 0-0 in Seville all you have to do is win the game. The team looked disjointed, didn't know when to go forward or what their roles were.

I guarantee that if Mou be a bit flexible and just go for it, starting Lingaard, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku all together it would have been Match point. At no point in the game did we look like wanting to win it other than when we realized ther was 10 minutes to go.

Summary: Sevilla are an o.k. side drew 2-2 home to Barca (Messi on bench.) We had the players and should have sent them back to Spain rather than listening to EPL is not good enuff.etc etc. It's not good enough when a team like Man U play like that against a mid-table team. Facts on table.

tiki_taka 6 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

He is only talking about "Mentality". what United lost because under SAF they won games they should have lost or draw.
some players do not deliver in a special " context " then are WC in another ones, sometimes its not only about institutions doing good signings, they provide the perfect environment for new commers to develop and perform, for the leaders they provide the responsibility and a high level of exigency of their teammates...

when your supposed leader is spending more time on social media and barber shops than on training or with teammates, it get noticed on results and on players relationships on and off the field.

to play like Atletico or any team playing with 110% of their possibilities, you need unity, covering teammates mistakes and helping by being in numbers, helping to score, share the spotlight, etc. You cant see that in teams with problems in the dressing room. If i decide to not help my flank teammate on his duty then he wont with me, i would throw him to the media the day he is off form because mistakes will come from him and will cost goals without help...

the other aspect is the maturity of the squad, the intelligency of the team as a whole, having a bunch of individuals are good but if they dont have automatisms or learned schemes to replicate, they will only rely on individual brilliance, and then it wont be enough.

Mourinho is talking about restruring the squad, mentally, tactically and is announcing big signings and probably many players will leave, there is no glory hunting on it, or not being a real fan, players arent bigger than a club, when its not working for a big club for a period, all of them shuffle the deck, in all sports. Even players who will leave may find a proper environment for them to develop, United players look like in Comfort Zone and Mou does not like it at all.

Mou is not prepared due to his ego to let PEP lift the league year in year out, he will shout on players and expose them to the press, he wants the crown and so should their players, I predict a Galactico mercato in the next mercato, no need to wait for City or Liverpool to slow down, they dont looking like to.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

He is only talking about "Mentality". what United lost because under SAF they won games they should have lost or draw.
some players do not deliver in a special " context " then are WC in another ones, sometimes its not only about institutions doing good signings, they provide the perfect environment for new commers to develop and perform, for the leaders they provide the responsibility and a high level of exigency of their teammates...

when your supposed leader is spending more time on social media and barber shops than on training or with teammates, it get noticed on results and on players relationships on and off the field.

to play like Atletico or any team playing with 110% of their possibilities, you need unity, covering teammates mistakes and helping by being in numbers, helping to score, share the spotlight, etc. You cant see that in teams with problems in the dressing room. If i decide to not help my flank teammate on his duty then he wont with me, i would throw him to the media the day he is off form because mistakes will come from him and will cost goals without help...

the other aspect is the maturity of the squad, the intelligency of the team as a whole, having a bunch of individuals are good but if they dont have automatisms or learned schemes to replicate, they will only rely on individual brilliance, and then it wont be enough.

Mourinho is talking about restruring the squad, mentally, tactically and is announcing big signings and probably many players will leave, there is no glory hunting on it, or not being a real fan, players arent bigger than a club, when its not working for a big club for a period, all of them shuffle the deck, in all sports. Even players who will leave may find a proper environment for them to develop, United players look like in Comfort Zone and Mou does not like it at all.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@tiki I guess that make sense but still, is there a lot of player who could join United and really improve them quickly? I just fear the player they could sign to make the squad stronger would have hard time to adapt quickly to PL. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.