Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

MAJOR! EU court ruling on Super League
_Pelle_ 4 months ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6888

EU court has ruled it as unlawful for UEFA and FIFA to prevent clubs from creating their own Super league.

I have always been positive to a super league. But I wish this could have been settled outside the court system. And that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, what do you think about this? Is it good or bad for football?

Comments
Algerino 4 months ago
Napoli, Algeria 6 845

It’s uncharted territory. So we will see what happens. Some clubs doesnt seem to be interested

_Pelle_ 4 months ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6888

True. It seems as if it’s mainly the spanish teams followed by the italian that are pushing for a super league.

The premier league teams might feel it will make them lose money.

Emobot7 4 months ago
538 11432

Honestly, I'm still not a big fan of the super league, they are trying to make it look more open but it would take a large amount of catastrophic seasons for the teams in the top division to be relegated out. Its basically a more sneaky way to ensure team like Real and Barca get more control over their income. Which of course, I understand from an economic point of view.

But here the things, if this super league work, its gonna hurt the domestic league a lot. Propably less money for tv right, less money for team who don't get in the super league and maybe less ticket money as well for some club, thats crazy and considering how we are still seeing incredible story unfold with small team having dream season, its really hurt to see the big club trying to limit that.

Don't even get me started on fitness and injury because of players being overworked.

And I don't care about UEFA, imho they are not a great organisation and I don't support most of what they are currently doing but the thing is, we got a system in place now and its working for the domestic league. So in this case, I feel like they are the lesser evil, for now at least.

DarthFooty 4 months ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1100

I would have to read more about the downstream effects, but just from my perspective now, this will kill the top 3 or 4 domestic leagues. The fact that these teams in the Super League would end up staying long term, pulling all TV revenue away, and thus attracting player signings to a whole other level.

Players will look to go to those teams exclusively and those teams will be the only ones who can afford to buy them.

This is dropping the EPL, La Liga, and Serie A down a tier. Not to mention that it replaces the Champions League which would then cause issues with Europa League given teams would never be able to reach this Super League.

I am all for players making their money and I would love nothing more than to see the best players in the world go at it more often, but I feel like that is what the World Cup is for. The Super League would impact the World Cup as well if you think about it.

Emobot7 4 months ago Edited
538 11432

@Darth I agree, the first format of the Super League was clearly and obviously all to the founding team advantage and didn't seem to consider domestic league or any other competition. They are acting as if they were caring now with this format but they are just being sneaky about it imho. I mean, I get why they are trying to make this a reality but boy does it feel selfish.

On a positive point, I was very pleased to see many clubs being vocal about them not wanting to do anything with it. Sadly, action speak louder than words, hopefully, they stick with what they said though.

And if they do, it will be interesting to see what the teams that are still wanting to make it a reality would do. Like, no way the investor pay what they promised if there only Real, Barca, Juventus, Milan, Napoli and a couple of fodder team (no disrespect meant). Pretty sure the amount we heard about is based off the possibility of bringing the teams who were initialy involved in the project.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Darth I agree, the first format of the Super League was clearly and obviously all to the founding team advantage and didn't seem to consider domestic league or any other competition. They are acting as if they were caring now with this format but they are just being sneaky about it imho. I mean, I get why they are trying to make this a reality but boy does it feel selfish.

On a positive point, I was very pleased to see many clubs being vocal about them not wanting to do anything with it. Sadly, action speak louder than words, hopefully, they stick with what they said though.

Footy_watch 4 months ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1860

The premier league is already a super league so this version will just involve teams in Europe. Anyone who likes the premier league will support this move even if they openly disagree.

Emobot7 4 months ago
538 11432

@Footy_watch Don't be so sure, in the last decade and an half, spanish teams were a step above English team and its only the last 5 or 6 years that the difference has been made up thanks to the PL superior ecomonic ressource. However, give more money to teams like Real and Barca and they might stand much more of fighting chance in the future in those competition which would negate the current tendency that see English team being superior to spanish from year to year.