Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Luke Shaw to Barcelona? Should he?
tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Shaw is ready to leave Old Trafford after his clashes with Mourinho, and with just one year left on his deal after this season.

Barcelona is looking for another decent left-back, too. And the club seems to make the move.

I like Shaw, and I hate how Mou treats him at MU. The whole thing is ridiculous, and I think Shaw should definitely get out of there. I dont get why Mou doesn't give him a chance, a chance to recover and find himself again, a regain confident. But NO, Mou prefers a converted Young to play at left back... So, Barcelona would be a dream destination?

May be not, he might better be in a place where he can start regularly, I dont see this happens when Alba still there.

What do you think?

Comments
JaapStam 6 years ago
Manchester United, Australia 2 268

Wouldn't be surpised. Barca have a policy of signing either average or developing players Especially in defence. They know they can outscore you. The only thing is It was news that they had an argument, I don't know if it will be Barca tho. Maybe somewhere in England.

Lodatz 6 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@tiki:

Seriously I’m against because few English players succeeded in Madrid/Barca. Reason why Perez decided not to bid for Harry Kane...

I dunno, I think these guys did okay:

enter image description here

Plus he wasn't so bad:

And I dunno, kinda I think this guy counts too, since Welsh and English are virtually the same:

Just sayin', I think the English/British track record in Spain has been pretty good, all things considered, although of course as a counter-example there's always this:

No, we still have no idea why they signed him, but his debut was legendary.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Seriously I’m against because few English players succeeded in Madrid/Barca. Reason why Perez decided not to bid for Harry Kane...

Plus he wasn't so bad:

And I dunno, kinda I think this guy counts too, since Welsh and English are virtually the same:

I gotta admit, I think the English/British track record in Spain has been pretty good, although of course there's always this:

(removed)

Just sayin'.

Plus he wasn't so bad:

I gotta admit, I think the English/British track record in Spain has been pretty good, although of course there's always this:

Just sayin'.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

Welsh and English are virtually the same

Which is why Welsh national team celebrated England elimination in last year euro, obviously. :P

Lodatz 6 years ago

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/truth-wales-video-celebrating-englands-14037280

It certainly wasn’t an anti-England thing. Far from it. Most of the lads in that room had team-mates and friends in the England team and among its staff.

For us, it was a celebration of the underdog winning. It certainly wasn’t anything anti-English, despite what some might believe.

Besides, go ahead and tell me the difference between Catalan and Spanish, and whether or not Catalans would cheer against Spain. Then try and tell me that there's any particular difference between their footballing cultures.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Lodatz Still seem to me like they were put on the spot by the journalist and said, "oh no, we got nothing against England" to evade any controversy.

All in all, I think its 50-50, yeah, some English player had decent success, like McManaman who was considerate a fan favorite at Real and Lineker who did relatively well at Barca but a lot of the other signing didn't live up to the hype, Owen had poor form at Real, Beckham never won CL, Cunningham was injured far too often and same with Bale in last few year. So yeah, for me, its hit or miss and rarely does a British player end up becoming a super star in Spain. Not that Luke Shaw really has that profile to start with, so in his case, it might be easier for him to cope with a move since there would propably be less pressure.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Ok Lodatz, but still it’s risky buisness, for adaptation and wages reasons.
Imo Bale deserves more than being a rotation player, he is leaving in the summer probably...

Lodatz 6 years ago Edited

@Emobot:

Still seem to me like they were put on the spot by the journalist and said, "oh no, we got nothing against England" to evade any controversy.

If that's what you are determined to see, then that is what you will see. It isn't true, though.

but a lot of the other signing didn't live up to the hype,

Okay, then let's examine those examples:

Owen had poor form at Real, Beckham never won CL,

Michael Owen scored 16 goals for Real Madrid in one season, mostly off the bench because Raul and Ronaldo were cemented Galactico favorites, and ended up with the highest goals-per-minute ratio in the entirety of La Liga that season. Then he left again because he wasn't getting enough playing time to justify being in the England squad, and because his family was having to live out of a hotel. Bear in mind that 16 goals was a lot before the Messi/Ronaldo era. For a super-sub, it's little short of fantastic. I wouldn't call this a failure, and neither would Madrid fans, who probably remember him and Beckham linking up to beat Barcelona 4-2.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/looking-back-why-michael-owen-failed-real-madrid

As for David Beckham? Dude, if you're going to say that simply because Madrid didn't win the CL while he was there, bear in mind you have to say the same about Ronaldo. There's a reason why this article is true, and it ain't because Beckham was a flop; far from it:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/16/david-beckham-real-madrid-retires

These are not 'misses'. These are great signings remembered fondly by Madridistas.

Cunningham was injured far too often

Injury isn't a sign of failure, and while uninjured he won 1 league title and 2 Copa del Rey. That hardly seems like a miss.

and same with Bale in last few year.

Which must be why he's played in 3 CL finals, and won them all. Not to mention his efforts winning the league and the Copa. C'mon, you're joking, right?

So yeah, for me, its hit or miss and rarely does a British player end up becoming a super star in Spain"*

I think it's more the case that rarely do they even go to Spain in the first place, and nearly every time they do, they are successful. So, I can't agree that it's hit or miss. Aside from Woodgate, every one you can think of has been a hit.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Emobot:

but a lot of the other signing didn't live up to the hype,

Okay, then let's examine those examples:

Owen had poor form at Real, Beckham never won CL,

Michael Owen scored 16 goals for Real Madrid in one season, mostly off the bench because Raul and Ronaldo were cemented Galactico favorites, and ended up with the highest goals-per-minute ratio in the entirety of La Liga that season. Then he left again because he wasn't getting enough playing time to justify being in the England squad, and because his family was having to live out of a hotel. Bear in mind that 16 goals was a lot before the Messi/Ronaldo era. For a super-sub, it's little short of fantastic. I wouldn't call this a failure, and neither would Madrid fans, who probably remember him and Beckham linking up to beat Barcelona 4-2.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/looking-back-why-michael-owen-failed-real-madrid

As for David Beckham? Dude, if you're going to say that simply because Madrid didn't win the CL while he was there, bear in mind you have to say the same about Ronaldo. There's a reason why this article is true, and it ain't because Beckham was a flop; far from it:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/16/david-beckham-real-madrid-retires

These are not 'misses'. These are great signings remembered fondly by Madridistas.

Cunningham was injured far too often

Injury isn't a sign of failure, and while uninjured he won 1 league title and 2 Copa del Rey. That hardly seems like a miss.

and same with Bale in last few year.

Which must be why he's played in 3 CL finals, and won them all. Not to mention his efforts winning the league and the Copa. C'mon, you're joking, right?

So yeah, for me, its hit or miss and rarely does a British player end up becoming a super star in Spain"*

I think it's more the case that rarely do they even go to Spain in the first place, and nearly every time they do, they are successful. So, I can't agree that it's hit or miss. Aside from Woodgate, every one you can think of has been a hit.

Lodatz 6 years ago

@tiki:

That's fair to say. I'm not sure Luke Shaw would be a hit at Barcelona either, but I just don't think the track record of English players in Spain is against him.

I wish he'd come home to Tottenham, but the truth is we simply can't afford his wages. He'll probably end up at United, although I hope someone Bayern, PSG or someone in Italy snaps him up instead, if it can't be us. It would hurt to see him in another PL shirt that isn't ours. :/

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

Oh man, a debate with Lodatz, I alway dream of that! Lets try to not make a fool of myself. Please don't be too harsh on me Lodatz though, I'm not as know knowledgeable.

So, I will concede that I didn't knew most of his appearance was as a super-sub, maybe I underrated his time at Madrid, but still, no matter how you see it, 45 appearance for only 16 goal look a little lackluster for a striker. I think the problem was that Owen was brought in a manner that people was expecting him to play more if only as a rotation player. I will concede Owen time at Madrid should maybe not considered as flop.

Ok, I agree its shouldn't be considered a flop but lets not lie, the whole of Real Madrid at the time he played there was considered underwhelming. More would have been expected of them and of Beckham at that time. Still think he in particular under-performed if compared to his form in the PL.

Pretty sure you are right about Beckham, Owen however I think its aint really something all of Real agree on.

Of course not, but you still need to come back fit and perform. A player who is injured a lot but still perform whenever he come back is Robben (ok, the comparison is a bit harsh but you get what I'm trying to say). Cunningham wasn't really that performant whevener he came back from his injury. Real had no problem either to get rid of him so that speak volume of how much they counted on him at the end.

Fair enough for the two first of those final but the last one, he only played as a sub for 13 minute and didn't really do anything. I do agree after checking a bit more, Bale has pretty sweet stat for a player who sometime have a hard time to play more than 20 game a season.

So all in all, what I realized while making my point is that you are actually right. Most of those player don't flop, they perform relatively well given their situation who isn't alway the best. However, they don't live up to the hype created by Madrid when they sign them either. The problem is propably what you said, that they don't bring a lot of English and that when they do, its only for big profile player which are expected to do wonder for the club which isn't really realist to start with.

So yeah, after thinking it through. I have to concede, you were right, they propably shouldn't be considered flop other than Woodgate (and maybe Cunningham). I lacked information when I first made my other post ealier and I would like to excuse myself for I realize I was wrong. The only way you can consider those player flop are if you put your expectation as high as that of the Madrid fanbase (or simply Perez expectation) when they were brought in.

PS: Yeah, I don't think I'll make a great career out of making debate after all. :P