Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Lovren - people should recognise that I’m one of the best defenders in the world... WTH
tuan_jinn 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Happy for Croatia and their players, sure.

But Lovren's latest interview has been quite wrong...

And he says that his performances should shut his critics up:

“People said I had a difficult season but I don’t agree with that,” he told beIN Sport. “I showed why I took Liverpool to the final of the Champions League and now with the national team, and now I’m in the World Cup final. I think people should recognise that I’m one of the best defenders in the world.”

Lovren

He didn't take no-one to the final, it's a team effort, Croatia never played defensive so I dont know what he is talking about.

At Liverpool their defend has been a joke all season, if not for those mistakes they would have been in a better position. In Croatia, sure he's doing quite well and being a part of the team, but he should really stay humble and proceed to the final. Even if the reporters ask silly questions as they do all the time.

I think Lovren is one of the most overrated, and frankly quite crap. What do you think?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Happy for Croatia and their players, sure.

But Lovren's latest interview has been quite wrong...

And he says that his performances should shut his critics up:

“People said I had a difficult season but I don’t agree with that,” he told beIN Sport. “I showed why I took Liverpool to the final of the Champions League and now with the national team, and now I’m in the World Cup final. I think people should recognise that I’m one of the best defenders in the world.”

Lovren

He didn't take no-one to the final, it's a team effort, at Liverpool their defend has been a joke all season, if not for those mistakes they would have been in a better position. In Croatia, sure he's doing quite well and being a part of the team, but he should really stay humble and proceed to the final. Even if the reporters ask silly questions as they do all the time.

I think Lovren is one of the most overrated, and frankly quite crap. What do you think?

Comments
tuan_jinn 6 years ago

Not sure how Liverpool fans feel about him, but whenever I root for Liverpool, I got nervous because of him...

He has done quite well for Croatia though

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I took Liverpool to the final of the Champions League

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United 38 1000

enter image description here
I will give him props for working his arse off in order to be where he is today. I use to remember him getting so much flack from his fans for his inconsistency. But there's no way in hell that he should consider himself to be one of the best. He's off his head!

• History

I will give him props for working his arse off in order to be where he is today. I use to remember him getting so much flack from his fans for his inconsistency. But there's no way in hell that he should consider himself to be one of the best. He's off his head!

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

Mustafi is a world cup wining defender cough cough. Saying Lovren is as good as mustafi is less disrespectful I guess.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

The same way I don't think De Gea is a bad keeper after one tournament backed by years of world-class league performances is the same reason I don't think Lovren is a world-class defender after one tournament backed by years of middling to average league performances.

We have a tendency as fans (and especially media) to overestimate players based off of tournament form. VERY rarely does turn into a reality beyond the tournament. I suppose a good way of saying it is that for every James Rodriguez (who was pretty damn good before WC 2014), there are dozens of Joel Campbells (who was somehow one of the best strikers four years ago).

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

That's exactly my problem with today media... overhyped for a game, tournament or a year (this is somewhat ok) then suddenly become the great!!

And what's up with those interviews before big games??? I thought its only happen to England in the past... If I'm the coach I would forbid them to answer interview like: we are better, we will win because the other is weak, we know their weakness blah blah....

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

iHeart: "I will give him props for working his arse off in order to be where he is today"

Indeed mate

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

Lovren have had a bunch of good performance recently but thats it. He work hard when that matter and I feel he got better recently but he is certainly not world class yet. If he perform like in the CL final next season, then maybe (and its a big maybe) we'll talk wether or not he is top 10. Right now though, its no. :P

• History

Lovren have had a bunch of good performance recently but thats it. He work hard when that matter and I feel he got better recently but he is certainly not world class yet. If he perform like in the CL final next season, then maybe we'll talk wether or not he is top 10. Right now though, its no. :P

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Hype it is. But gotta take a look into his perspective: he was in Liverpool's, honestly, shitty defence, where he was criticized even in his decent spells. He had times when he was mistake-prone, not the first, not the last defender who has made mistakes. English media was ruthless towards him and seemed like he was biggest problem in Liverpool, and that was his problem with English media. Then he also had personal problems, which English media also didn't respect.

Then Van Dijk came, Klopp and Dalić put Lovren with right CB next to him, in a right system, and he blossomed. He was one of Liverpool's best players in VL run, and without a shadow of doubt one of best defenders this WC. With Godin, Gimenez and Varane I'd say.

He took this as revenge, because he was able to put in amazing performance against their own players. Gotta be proud of him. He is great, ignore his comment after the game, it's not his mind talking.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

He's probably not even top 10 CB, which says something. I thought he was the weak link in the Croatia defense in the beginning of the game.

SunFlash

there are dozens of Joel Campbells (who was somehow one of the best strikers four years ago).

We probably have one of the most weirdest fan base, but I've not seen anyone say he is one of the best Strikers. Where is this based from? Or are you referring to his last world cup in 2014?

expertfootball11 6 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Played such a dirty game against England, still surprised he didn't get sent off, and still after being booked complaining to the referee... Honestly the Croatian players attitude just stinks...

liomessi10 6 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Well he shoukd have been sent off against england yesterday lets put it that way.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Or are you referring to his last world cup in 2014?

Correct. He was fantastic that tournament.

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

@expert, @lio, Lovren wasn't booked, and only like real, yellow card offence he had was maybe point-proving body push on Kane. Don't see how he deserved red card, he's not the only guy on the pitch who played dirty, he didn't even play so dirty, he rather tried with aggresive approach, he's marking one of best strikers around. If he was soft, Kane would bag few goals.

Honestly the Croatian players attitude just stinks...

Only one who went a bit too ruthless was Vrsaljko who was clearly pissed off at them and their media. Modrić and Perišić didn't say one wrong word, their attitudes are to win and they had a point to prove, it's not like they don't hear what comes from English media.

No one talked about Argentina's players though. Especially the GOAT, who didn't have enough respect to congratulate players he even knows after the loss. Or Sampaoli, who didn't congratulate Dalić.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Croatian Also, if we're gonna point finger, can we talk about English player during this knockout face? Cause their attitude didn't smell good either at time to me. But to be completely sincere, I blame ref for not showing enough yellow for time wasting and for complaining about the decision. Talking about the ref, he was pretty damn bad in that England vs Croatia game.

expertfootball11 6 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Well at least Mr.Bilic is one entertaining Croat. He has more integrity than the other so-called « experts » sitting at the table except Roy Keane

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

@Emo: good question. Spot on.

Tomson 6 years ago
Bayern Munich 0 10

He is not the best defender but he played WC very good he has brought me 1000 stox points.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago

@Tomson :D he did well. true.

But claimed himself to be among best is just dude on crack kinda thing.