Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Liga and Premier League....
tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Cesc Fàbregas reveals differences between Premier League and La Liga :

Before his team defeated Real Madrid 2-1 on Saturday, FC Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fàbregas spoke to The Guardian about whether he would ever return to the Premier League. He also discussed how the league differs from his current spot in La Liga.

“Arsenal is in my heart and always will be,” Fàbregas told the English outlet.

“I don’t know if I’ll have the opportunity to go back and play there one day, or maybe after football. It’s a club that is always going to be there and will always open its doors to me. The club’s like a family, so even if it wasn’t as a coach, I’m sure they’d give me the chance to play a role.”

The real interesting portion of his talk centered around the differences between the Premier League and La Liga. Fàbregas said leaving for Arsenal allowed him to play more minutes, which accelerated his development as a player, and it helped that Arsenal is “perhaps the team closest to Barcelona” in style of play.

“The English league is more difficult to win, but on an individual level, it is much, much easier to shine in England,” he said. “I always thought English football was the best to watch because there are more goals, more chances, more excitement. But now, I understand why there are more goals and more chances: it’s much more crazy, out of control, everyone attacking, pouring forward.”

The Spanish international with 86 caps would not say that he found the Premier League easier to navigate than La Liga, but he did intimate that Spanish players are generally more technical and smarter on the ball than their counterparts in England.

“It’s a question of space,” he said. “A Spanish-style footballer, like [David] Silva or [Mesut] Özil, if they can find two seconds to think, will see the pass because there’ll be space. … In Spain, reducing space is worked on more. In England, it’s fast, but you can find that space if you are a good player.”

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.
  • Cesc Fu00e0bregas reveals differences between Premier League and La Liga :

Before his team defeated Real Madrid 2-1 on Saturday, FC Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fu00e0bregas spoke to The Guardian about whether he would ever return to the Premier League. He also discussed how the league differs from his current spot in La Liga.u201cArsenal is in my heart and always will be,u201d Fu00e0bregas told the English outlet. u201cI donu2019t know if Iu2019ll have the opportunity to go back and play there one day, or maybe after football. Itu2019s a club that is always going to be there and will always open its doors to me. The clubu2019s like a family, so even if it wasnu2019t as a coach, Iu2019m sure theyu2019d give me the chance to play a role.u201d

The real interesting portion of his talk centered around the differences between the Premier League and La Liga. Fu00e0bregas said leaving for Arsenal allowed him to play more minutes, which accelerated his development as a player, and it helped that Arsenal is u201cperhaps the team closest to Barcelonau201d in style of play.

u201cThe English league is more difficult to win, but on an individual level, it is much, much easier to shine in England,u201d he said. u201cI always thought English football was the best to watch because there are more goals, more chances, more excitement. But now, I understand why there are more goals and more chances: itu2019s much more crazy, out of control, everyone attacking, pouring forward.u201d

The Spanish international with 86 caps would not say that he found the Premier League easier to navigate than La Liga, but he did intimate that Spanish players are generally more technical and smarter on the ball than their counterparts in England.

u201cItu2019s a question of space,u201d he said. u201cA Spanish-style footballer, like [David] Silva or [Mesut] u00d6zil, if they can find two seconds to think, will see the pass because thereu2019ll be space. u2026 In Spain, reducing space is worked on more. In England, itu2019s fast, but you can find that space if you are a good player.u201d

• Cesc Fu00e0bregas reveals differences between Premier League and La Liga :

Before his team defeated Real Madrid 2-1 on Saturday, FC Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fu00e0bregas spoke to The Guardian about whether he would ever return to the Premier League. He also discussed how the league differs from his current spot in La Liga.u201cArsenal is in my heart and always will be,u201d Fu00e0bregas told the English outlet. u201cI donu2019t know if Iu2019ll have the opportunity to go back and play there one day, or maybe after football. Itu2019s a club that is always going to be there and will always open its doors to me. The clubu2019s like a family, so even if it wasnu2019t as a coach, Iu2019m sure theyu2019d give me the chance to play a role.u201d

The real interesting portion of his talk centered around the differences between the Premier League and La Liga. Fu00e0bregas said leaving for Arsenal allowed him to play more minutes, which accelerated his development as a player, and it helped that Arsenal is u201cperhaps the team closest to Barcelonau201d in style of play.

u201cThe English league is more difficult to win, but on an individual level, it is much, much easier to shine in England,u201d he said. u201cI always thought English football was the best to watch because there are more goals, more chances, more excitement. But now, I understand why there are more goals and more chances: itu2019s much more crazy, out of control, everyone attacking, pouring forward.u201d

u201cItu2019s a question of space,u201d he said. u201cA Spanish-style footballer, like [David] Silva or [Mesut] u00d6zil, if they can find two seconds to think, will see the pass because thereu2019ll be space. u2026 In Spain, reducing space is worked on more. In England, itu2019s fast, but you can find that space if you are a good player.u201d

Comments
tiki_taka 10 years ago

Sounds to me like Bayern's main competition, right now, is across the sea with the Old Enemy, not with the team who finished 25 points behind them in the league, nor with the league whose best team were stomped 7-0 over two legs.

We beat Bayern 4-0 not many years ago, and we defeated Arsenal 4-1 and United 3-1. Does it mean we will trash them again ?
I think your emotions dont let you see the whole thing, only Chelsea had a big rivalry against us, everytime we faced another English side, we won.
Dont under-estimate Barça/Real its not gonna be only a Chelsea/Bayern duel, what makes you so confident about it ?

Lodatz 10 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

"I think your emotions dont let you see the whole thing, only Chelsea had a big rivalry against us, everytime we faced another English side, we won."

That's because Barcelona were the best team in the world.

That did not mean that La Liga was the best, or strongest in the world. The PL was, because it was the league whose teams were keeping up. (8 finalists, remember?)

Bayern just beat YOU 4-0, and 0-3. That's because they're the best team in the world.

That does not mean that the Bundesliga is the best, or strongest in the world. The PL is, because it's the league whose teams are keeping up.

When are you ever going to just accept this? It's not my emotions that are in the way, here. It's your pride, instead. The facts stack up telling you what reality is, and yet you just won't accept it.

"Dont under-estimate Barça/Real its not gonna be only a Chelsea/Bayern duel, what makes you so confident about it ?"

Who said anything about a Chelsea/Bayern duel only? As I pointed out, Arsenal and City have both BEATEN Bayern inside the last 12 months. And Chelsea has been beating them, and drawing with Bayern.

Don't you get it? Do you really not see? Those three teams, whom you believe to all be inferior to Barcelona and Madrid, have all done what Barca could not, and that's not just beat Bayern, but actually SCORE against them at all.

I don't underestimate Barcelona and Madrid. However, I don't overestimate them, either, and right now? It's you underestimating the English teams instead, because of the last couple of years of transition form. We will see what happens.

We didnt score against Bayern, AND ?? Does it mean City will win against us ? and City, Arsenal won against Bayern in games without any importance, dont agree ? Dont spend time argumenting when there is nothing to argument.
As i told you, this year, the competition is between 3 nations, there is no dominating League.

Last defeat against Bayern, we had no coach and no defense, if it was Tottenham you would find 100 excuses, im not excusing my team, we were not prepared, we lost fair and square, but that doesnt mean we cant beat them.
We beat those same players 4-0 and those same players beated us 4-0(3-0), thats all.
Remember when you said when you lost 5-0 to Liverpool, you told us that your team made them look stronger then they were.
Why i couldnt aply this same EXCUSE ? Does it mean Spurs gonna loose to Liverpool at Anfield ? No, no one can be sure.
RM beated every English team they faced, Atletico beated Chelsea, and Barça only struggles with Chelsea, but we're not dominated by them, we have intense competition.

• History

We didnt score against Bayern, AND ?? Does it mean City will win against us ? and City, Arsenal won against Bayern in games without any importance, dont agree ? Dont send time argumenting when there is nothing to argument.

We didnt score against Bayern, AND ?? Does it mean City will win against us ? and City, Arsenal won against Bayern in games without any importance, dont agree ? Dont send time argumenting when there is nothing to argument.
As i told you, this year, the competition is between 3 nations, there is no dominating League.

Last defeat against Bayern, we had no coach and no defense, if it was Tottenham you would find 100 excuses, im not excusing my team, we were not prepared, we lost fair and square, but that doesnt mean we cant beat them.
We beat those same players 4-0 and those same players beated us 4-0(3-0), thats all.
Remember when you said when you lost 5-0 to Liverpool, you told us that your team made them look stronger then they were.
Why i couldnt aply this same EXCUSE ? Does it mean Spurs gonna loose to Liverpool at Anfield ? No.

Why i couldnt aply this same EXCUSE ? Does it mean Spurs gonna loose to Liverpool at Anfield ? No, no one can be sure.

We didnt score against Bayern, AND ?? Does it mean City will win against us ? and City, Arsenal won against Bayern in games without any importance, dont agree ? Dont spend time argumenting when there is nothing to argument.

Lodatz 10 years ago

"Arsenal won against Bayern in games without any importance, dont agree ? Dont spend time argumenting when there is nothing to argument."

Games without any importance? What on earth are you talking about? In Arsenal's case it was the second leg of their knock-out tie, and in City's case it was the game to decide who topped the group and became seeded (1 more goal and City would have been first, and you could well have been facing Bayern instead, again).

These are the exact opposite of meaningless games.

*"*Last defeat against Bayern, we had no coach and no defense,"

Has this been fixed? I know you got a new coach, but, have you gained new defenders? If not, then... look out.

"We beat those same players 4-0 and those same players beated us 4-0(3-0), thats all."

That's not true at all. The only 2 players who played in 2009 for Bayern and were in the team last season were Ribery and Schweinsteiger. Everyone else was completely different. They've gotten a lot better, since then...

*"*RM beated every English team they faced,"

Yes, they certainly did have a referee on their side, against United, and they played a City who were inexplicably poor last season. Did you have a point to make?

Just. Let. It. Go.

tiki_taka 10 years ago

Lol you have an EXCUSE for everything :). City won the EPL that year and lost fair and square, not inexplicably...

Marcus2011 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

@tiki_taka You are in argument that you can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t win . @lodatz has more factual statements rather than opinions . Excuse about not being prepared is extremely silly. This was semi final of Champions League against previous year finalist. Barcelona had lot more possession but completely were toothless against Bayern .

As far as Fabregas interview . I honestly do not know what Fabregas been smoking but ever since he went to Barcelona he started to talk some real silly stuff. He is just doing his job trying to promote La Liga. Fabregas was extremely lucky to be growing during golden Arsenal days in early 2000s and gain valuable lessons and experiences at very young age . However, even that gave him 72 assists and 35 premier league goals as regular starter . So much for chances and more goals that in barely 3 years he spent in La Liga he already bagged 27 goals ( a lot of times starting from the bench ) and has 39 assists .

As far as his comments about Spanish Players : excuse me , but Mesut is German ethnically Turkish . As much as I love Mesut let\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s be honest he has been struggling to find the space when facing top English club even disappearing. As far as David Silva finding himself more comfortably is all down to Yaya Toure providing that security . In Barcelona it is Busquetes , in Real Madrid it was Alonso that let Mesut to have freedom , in Arsenal right now it is Flamini . However , I will still admit that Spanish and other footballing nations produce more creative midfielders that can offer quality that English players won\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t be able to match . Although EPL in my opinion shapes these midfielders into more different style , i would say more lethal than they used to be before they came to EPL.

tiki_taka 10 years ago

yeah Fabregas is lying to promote la Liga...

ikoiko 10 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

@tiki, sorry mate but Arsenal's clash against Bayern on the second leg was a hell of an important game, are you serious? Also I thought you agreed that the PL was a better league at the moment… There's nothing farfetched about Fabregas promoting the league he plays in along with the club he represents. He would do the same if he were still a gunner (I would imagine).

Marcus2011 10 years ago Edited

He is not lying . He is being biased . You can tell La liga lost that spark it had when Mourinho was around . I would check on La Liga every weekend just to see what Mourinho said and how well Real Madrid and Barcelona did . Now, I feel very neutral . Tevez used to hail EPL as best then he left to Seria A and now he hails it as better league . So is he Being a hypocrite or just simple commercial for football fans ? In Tevez case I think both lol

• History

He is not lying . He is being biased . You can tell La liga lost that spark it had when Mourinho was around . I would check on La Liga every weekend just to see what Mourinho said and how well Real Madrid and Barcelona did . Now, it I feel very neutral . Tevez used to hail EPL as best then he left to Seria A and now he hails it as better league . So is he Being a hypocrite or just simple commercial for football fans ? In Tevez case I think both lol

EPL is a better League, but we are talking about dominance since Lodatz talked about that.
Dominance has nothing to do with the league, but depends on how clubs perform against other Europeen clubs (CL) and national teams.
I just tried to explain to Lodatz that we are not in an English period of dominance as he claims, when you see CL results and England players national performences you cant get to that conclusion.
Fabregas told his point of view about the 2 leagues, with their specificities, as a player that played in both leagues, EPL is fast and games are crazy, but if you think/play fast and good, there is no reason you cant succeed.
He never said that la liga was better.

• History

EPL is a better League, but we are talking about dominance since Lodatz talked about that.
Dominance has nothing to do with the league, but depends on how clubs perform against other Europeen clubs (CL) and national teams.
I just tried to explain to Lodatz that we are not in an English period of dominance as he claims, when you see CL results and England players national performences you cant get to that conclusion.
Fabregas told his point of view about the 2 leagues, with their specificities, as a player that played in both leagues, EPL is fast and games are crazy, but you think/play fast and good, there is no reason you cant succeed.

Lodatz 10 years ago

@tiki: City didn't win the league last season.

Also, the international stage bears no relation to this argument. You might was well talk about Brazil, and how not a single one of their national team stars plays in their home league.

I'm talking about the club level, and it still remains true that Chelsea won in 2012, and that both Arsenal and City have recently beaten the best team in the world. It's not so much about dominance as it is competition. You said we were in a period of German domination, and I said that one Bayern CL victory does not make for a 'period'.

That's all.

Marcus2011 10 years ago

He is not directly saying it but he is emphasizing it.

I agree with Lodatz again .

I honestly never for a second thought that we are in German domination . This is all media speculations . EPL vs Bundesliga teams record speaks for itself . I also still think that we are not under Bayern dominance . If you do not think Bayern had champions luck against Dortmund in the final you are deeply mistaken . Just as well as Dortmund had some luck against Malaga and Real . Not being biased , just watch the key highlights .

Also to conclude , Just because Bayern and Dortmund defeated Spanish giants does not mean we are in German dominance and it does not mean we were in Spanish dominance prior . I firmly believe due the the consistency of English teams winning CL and appearing in semi finals and quarter finals and finals , this past decade was English dominance . Facts are there and you provided them yourself as well .

@marcus No. Bayern is dominating because, its the 3rd time in 3 years they are in the final.
Chelsea couldnt even pass the CL stages after wining CL.
Anyway, you didnt feel our short time dominance as you cant be neutral, even your comments about how you see your club and talking about money teams. Look there is no diference between City,Chelsea,PSG and Monaco, the 4 clubs have Russian/Quataries owners, but you talk about Chelsea as if it was another team.
You all agree with Lodatz, i noticed that most EPL fans are thinking that way as if we are living in an English domination.
I can safely say that Bayern is actualy better than every EPL big 3 (6) teams and its just reality.
BTW : The converstation is going anywhere, as you keep this national vision or obsession.

• History

@marcus No. Bayern is dominating because, its the 3rd time in 3 years they are in the final.
Chelsea couldnt even pass the CL stages after wining CL.
Anyway, you didnt feel our short time dominance as you cant be neutral, even your comments about how you see your club and talking about money teams. Look there is no diference between City,Chelsea,PSG and Monaco, the 4 clubs have Russian/Quataries owners, but you talk about Chelsea as if it was another team.
You all agree with Lodatz, i noticed that most EPL fans are thinking that way as if we are living in an English domination.
I can safely say that Bayern is actualy better than every EPL big 3 (6) teams and its just reality.
BTW : The converstation is going anywhere, as you keep this national vision or obsession.

Lodatz 10 years ago

@tiki: Whatever you say about Bayern being better (and I do agree with you, remember, that they're the best in the word), it still doesn't change the fact that this team has been beaten 3 times in the last 18 months by English opposition, and taken to penalties on a 4th occasion.

That's not dominance, actually. That's competition.

And right now, the PL seems to be the league best equipped to handle Bayern, just as it was the best equipped to handle Barcelona, when Barca were the best team in the world.

And, as it happens, the best league to handle Milan, back when Kaka, Seedorf, Crespo, Shevchenko, Cafu and Maldini made Milan one of the best clubs in the world.

The one constant, over the last decade, has been the PL, mate. And, once again, we're still the league keeping up with whatever new tide sweeps through European football.

Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Marcus

I feel as if Ozil is misused though. Wenger hasn't figured out the trick to using him to his highest potential yet.

tiki_taka 4 years ago

new English dominance chapter ? Maybe things will get more balanced now if Liverpool slows down....
Im curious to see if Klopp will keep his team at the top longer...