Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Jurgen vs Ernesto : The early years
JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

Hello lads today I am gonna share you one of the biggest controversies in football that ever happened and nobody gave a flying shite about it according to me always of course.

Year is 2011 and we are talking about Group F of UCL.
The teams were. Arsenal, Marseille, BvB and Olympiakos.

Fast forwarding to the 4th fixture the tables was :
Arsenal 8
Marseille 7
BvB 4 Klopp is the manager
Olympiakos 3 Ernesto Valverde is the manager 2nd spell under Olympiakos

The situation for Olympiakos seemed already over with thin chances of success, especially they had numerous starters injured or coming back from injuries. Despite all those Olympiakos won at France scoring at 82' with a Greek wonderkid and gave the reds a historical away victory and gave them hopes that something magic was about to happen.
Previously demolishing BvB by 3-1, playing in Germany and they managed to lose 1-0 to a disgusting blind referee that happened to ignore a CLEAR handball by a BvB defender.

Olympiakos had 1 last chance to win Arsenal and hopefully BvB would give their fans one more victory in that group stage. Olympiakos somehow pulled a 2-1 and in the dying minutes of the game Modesto scored at 89th minute and made it 3-1 sealing the victory. Despite the rules of the game that required both matches to start at the same time the game between BvB and Marseille started 5 minutes later and the score was 2-1 for BvB. Fast forwarding yet again 5 minutes before the end of the game between BvB and Marseille Ayew scored at 85th min of the game barely 2 minutes later Valbuena scored at 87th minute of the game to make it 3-2. Olympiakos was done and his chances of going to the round of 16 was diminished. Despite players celebrating and few minutes later stopping the celebrations some people from inside the club of Olympiakos noticed something while watching the other game. Klopp was there smiling despite being humiliated with a bunch of losses.

enter image description here

At the end of the game Olympiakos players were frustrated that their chances of a fantastic European run were over by some shambolic defending.

The Greek captain called Maniatis said the exact words : We fought and we tried for the fans and the club but seems it was not enough. Last but not least I wanted to congratulate BvB and especially Jurgen Klopp that I saw smiling despite losing for the 4th and LAST place of the group. They deserve it more than anyone else. I can't recall Valverde's exact words but I am 100% sure he was salty for the knockout in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Few years later the best revenge came with Barcelona and Messi and I am sure this is KARMA in football. Liverpool played great football but they lost to the same manager they made a HUGE injustice (according to some fans).

Myself personally I DESPITE AND HATE Olympiakos and how he ripped apart Greek football with their cheating but in Europe I support every Greek team like its mine and I can say thank you Valverde and Messi for giving me this satisfaction even so many years later.

Sorry for the bad grammar in the text, I tried to make it as readable as it can get and its honestly my point of view and how things went. Its by no means a 100% scientifically proven event(pause for irony and jokes) but I can say for once the feelings are mixed inside me. I wanted Liverpool to win something since their football is great but watching how the greatest manager in Greece of 10's was robbed of an amazing achievement to add in his bio made me feel justice was served.

Comments
Emobot7 5 years ago Edited
538 11432

That is indeed a strange scenario, nearly too fortunate for Marseille to be true. I understand where Olympiakos frustation come from. Obviously, BVB didn't had anything to play for at that point which is why the timing defo make it look like it was made on purpose, especially after hearing you say the game started late. So yeah, I understand why you are happy about the whole thing. It does feel a bit like karma to Klopp.

Though I personally don't really think it was 100% made on purpose by him. His player might have heard the fact Olympiakos had won and this might have affected their motivation and the fact Klopp smiled might have been sarcastic. I agree its a lot of if, but there is no way to be completely sure.

Still, I understand why you are happy and I don't want to spoil it for you.

On another hand, I had no idea Valverde managed Olympiakos, thats pretty amazing, how good was he as a manager?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

That is indeed a strange scenario, nearly too fortunate for Marseille to be true. I understand where Olympiakos frustation come from. Obviously, BVB didn't had anything to play for at that point which is why the timing defo make it look like it was made on purpose, especially after hearing you say the game started late. So yeah, I understand why you are happy about the whole thing. It does feel a bit like karma to Klopp.

Though I personally don't really think it was 100% made on purpose by him. His player might have heard the fact Olympiakos had won and this might have affected their motivation and the fact Klopp smiled might have sarcastic. There is no way to for sure.

Still, I understand why you are happy and I don't want to spoil it for you.

On another hand, I had no idea Valverde managed Olympiakos, thats pretty amazing, how good was he as a manager?

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

Valverde made Olympiakos a great team for Greek standards. Brought a bunch of player that most of them even work for the club as scouts, trainers and even bigger roles. At his 1st spell he quit due to blatant favoritism towards his own team and then came back and made again a force to be feared. Great manager and personality even as a rival fan I acknowledge him.

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

I was watching the Marseille-Dortmund game, cheering for Marseille. There was no match fixing Marseille really pushed to get the result and Valbuena goal was a piece of magic.

It’s not because Klopp is smiling that is a proof of something, he smiled at 3-0 after Messi FK. I don’t reckon any controversial thing at the time...

JozeV2 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

Olympiakos got denied one of the most clear penalties at Germany.

The match started 5 minutes later after the Olympiakos - Arsenal game at Greece, when both matches could start at the same time.

BvB suddenly stopped chasing the game. Ayew's goal had around 5 defenders with only 2 chasing the ball and I remember Hummels running away from the ball and then walks and it becomes 2-2. Throw-in for Marseille and Blaszczykowski completely unintersted chasing the attacker, Valbuena gets the ball and Hummels slowly goes for him then he scores a wondergoal.

Surely you can call the game had no real point for BvB but to finish BELOW Olympiakos? Some dignity won't hurt.

There is enough events that can be discussed and I can point out much more injustices towards Olympiakos the refs had made that year.

Also it is kinda dumb to compare a game that Klopp is chasing the UCL final to a game that is completely out of interest for his club like the BvB vs Marseille was. Pointless to say he smiled on Messi's FK when some hours ago he called him the BEST player he watched playing football. Where do you work as a sport journalist again? Is it a hobby or you are getting paid for it? I mean even bothering to compare the situations here is kinda dumb.

Yet again things might just happened like that without other factors changing the outcome of the game. I already pointed that out by saying that is some views by me and other Greek football fans, so besides throwing baits and provoking arguments with cheeky replies can you post why there is no match fixing?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Olympiakos got denied one of the most clear penalties at Germany.

The match started 5 minutes later after the Olympiakos - Arsenal game at Greece, when both matches could start at the same time.

BvB suddenly stopped chasing the game. Ayew's goal had around 5 defenders with only 2 chasing the ball and I remember Hummels running away from the ball and then walks and it becomes 2-2. Throw-in for Marseille and Blaszczykowski completely unintersted chasing the attacker, Valbuena gets the ball and Hummels slowly goes for him then he scores a wondergoal.

Surely you can call the game had no real point for BvB but to finish BELOW Olympiakos? Some dignity won't hurt.

There is enough events that can be discussed and I can point out much more injustices towards Olympiakos the refs had made that year.

Also it is kinda dumb to compare a game that Klopp is chasing the UCL final to a game that is completely out of interest for his club like the BvB vs Marseille was. Pointless to say he smiled on Messi's FK when some hours ago he called him the BEST player he watched playing football. Where do you work as a sport journalist again? Is it a hobby or you are getting paid for it? I mean even bothering to compare the situations here is kinda dumb.