Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Jamie Carragher: Only One Manchester United Player Would Get into Chelsea's XI
Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Carragher wrote: "Across town, Louis van Gaal has spent more than £200m since he arrived at Old Trafford. That outlay has got them nearer to first place but they are still short, particularly up front and at the back, especially now with the situation surrounding David de Gea.

“This year United’s fans will want the title, but they won’t achieve that,” said Carragher according to ​the Daily Mail.

“Why? If I write down United’s strongest starting line-up to see which players Mourinho would pick for Chelsea, the only decision I think he has is over Wayne Rooney and Costa.”

What do you guys think?

imo he doesnt have a clue what he's talking about. At least 3-6 players from united's squad could make it into Chelsea's XI. Mata Rooney Depay Schneiderlin Schweinstiger Carrot...

From all the big spenders in the world of football why is he complaining about United and their signings?

Liverpool is one to spend ridiculous amounts for players that are simply not worth it so there's that. And Chelsea build their squad in a couple of seasons of massive spending so why pick on United?

http://www.90min.com/posts/2444263-jamie-carragher-only-one-manchester-united-player-would-get-into-chelsea-s-xi?a_aid=35260

Comments
Dynastian98 9 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Jamie Carragher is an absolute fool of an analyst. I have no idea what he's doing alongside someone as capable as Gary Neville.

• Rooney is a better player than Costa, so I can imagine him starting on the Chelsea XI.
  • Depay is yet unproven in the EPL, don't get too excited. Wait and see first.
  • Darmian is more capable defensively than Ivanovic, IMO, so I'd put him ahead of Brani. I doubt many people would make this choice though.
  • Mata is a class above Oscar and had won Chelsea POTY twice, so he'd make the cut easily. Herrera could possibly make that position as well.
  • I don't see either Schneiderlin or Schweinsteiger displacing Cesc or Matic, sorry about that.
  • The hardest one should be DDG and Courtois. For the sake of equal talent, I'm going to say that they would split the games 50-50 between them, and DDG would therefore, technically, "displace" Courtois (for at least half the time).

So in my conclusion, the only positions in the Chelsea XI that would be inhabited by United players is striker (Rooney), AM (Mata), and goalkeeper (DDG and Courtois playing 50-50). My pick on Darmian is just a personal preference as Ivanovic gets ripped apart 1v1 far too easily. Excluding Darmian, however, I can only find two proper positions where the United player fully takes over the Chelsea position (ST and AM).

This does not mean, however, that United are inferior to Chelsea. Their players are just individually less talented than the Chelsea players. It does not mean that United can't beat Chelsea or can't finish above them in the table (although it is unlikely that Chelsea will fall behind United this season). I do agree that LVG has spent a lot of money, but he has the money to spend. Why not go on a shopping spree when you have money to spare? He's improving the team, even if he's not spending particularly efficiently. He's still managed to make some excellent purchases. Carragher needs to keep in mind that the bulk of LVG's expenditure was spent on ADM, who is no longer at the club.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Jamie Carragher is an absolute fool of an analyst. I have no idea what he's doing alongside someone as capable as Gary Neville.

Rooney is a better player than Costa, so I can imagine him starting on the Chelsea XI.
Depay is yet unproven in the EPL, don't get too excited. Wait and see first.
Darmian is more capable defensively than Ivanovic, IMO, so I'd put him ahead of Brani. I doubt many people would make this choice though.
Mata is a class above Oscar and had won Chelsea POTY twice, so he'd make the cut easily. Herrera could possibly make that position as well.
I don't see either Schneiderlin or Schweinsteiger displacing Cesc or Matic, sorry about that.
The hardest one should be DDG and Courtois. For the sake of equal talent, I'm going to say that they would split the games 50-50 between them, and DDG would therefore, technically, "displace" Courtois (for at least half the time).

So in my conclusion, the only positions in the Chelsea XI that would be inhabited by United players is striker (Rooney), AM (Mata/Herrera), and goalkeeper (DDG and Courtois playing 50-50). My pick on Darmian is just a personal preference as Ivanovic gets ripped apart 1v1 far too easily. Excluding Darmian, however, I can only find two proper positions where the United player fully takes over the Chelsea position (ST and AM).

• Rooney is a better player than Costa, so I can imagine him starting on the Chelsea XI.
  • Darmian is more capable defensively than Ivanovic, IMO, so I'd put him ahead of Brani. I doubt many people would - make this choice though.
  • Mata is a class above Oscar and had won Chelsea POTY twice, so he'd make the cut easily. Herrera could possibly make that position as well.
  • I don't see either Schneiderlin or Schweinsteiger displacing Cesc or Matic, sorry about that.
  • The hardest one should be DDG and Courtois. For the sake of equal talent, I'm going to say that they would split the games 50-50 between them, and DDG would therefore, technically, "displace" Courtois (for at least half the time).

So in my conclusion, the only positions in the Chelsea XI that would be inhabited by United players is striker (Rooney), AM (Mata/Herrera), and goalkeeper (DDG and Courtois playing 50-50). My pick on Darmian is just a personal preference as Ivanovic gets ripped apart 1v1 far too easily. Excluding Darmian, however, I can only find two proper positions where the United player fully takes over the Chelsea position (ST and AM).

• Darmian is more capable defensively than Ivanovic, IMO, so I'd put him ahead of Brani. I doubt many people would make this choice though.

So in my conclusion, the only positions in the Chelsea XI that would be inhabited by United players is striker (Rooney), AM (Mata), and goalkeeper (DDG and Courtois playing 50-50). My pick on Darmian is just a personal preference as Ivanovic gets ripped apart 1v1 far too easily. Excluding Darmian, however, I can only find two proper positions where the United player fully takes over the Chelsea position (ST and AM).

This does not mean, however, that United are inferior to Chelsea. Their players are just individually less talented than the Chelsea players. It does not mean that United can't beat Chelsea or can't finish above them in the table (although it is unlikely that Chelsea will fall behind United this season).

JuanMata10 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

I agree with @Dynastian on every point, except for the AM position. Carragher explicitly said: “Why? If I write down United’s strongest starting line-up to see which players Mourinho would pick for Chelsea, the only decision I think he has is over Wayne Rooney and Costa.” Mourinho's sold Mata to make room for Oscar, so it's obvious that he wouldn't pick him for his Chelsea team, but other than that, well said, @Dyn.

May be off topic, but I'm still gutted that we've sold Filipe Luis back to Atletico. Since the beginning of last season it's obvious that Ivanovic's lack of pace combined with his huge desire to overtake Arjen Robben as the worlds best right winger leaves our defence wide open. Most of the goal scoring opportunities in favour of our opponents' come from Ivanovic's side when the Serbian is too slow to get back in time or when Willian's not there to cover up for him, like he often does. The most recent example is the Swansea game where he was absolutely humiliated by Jefferson Montero, who's a good player to be fair, but I'm scared when thinking of what will happen if we eventually have to play against Barcelona in the Champions League and Ivanovic has to face Neymar. Oh, the nightmares.

I definitely would have been more calm last season if we played Azpilicueta on the right side and Filipe Luis on the left (or this season, Baba on the left, if we do manage do get him), because we'd only have one slow player in defence, then, which is Terry. Speaking of him, I think we can't afford to play him all the time anymore, as we did last season. His lack of pace prevents our defence from playing a high line, which leaves way too much space between our back four and our pivot, if Matic and Cesc go a bit forward. It's ridiculous how much freedom the oppositions attackers have in this area and I'm really worried that we might not even be able to secure someone who could cover up for Terry in this transfer window. Again, I'm sad for Filipe, because he was a top notch professional, but to his disadvantage, Terry was the immediate partner in defence which caused him to stay back often. Now, this works with Azpilicueta, but in contrast to the Spaniard, Filipe Luis is a fullback who wants to get involved in the attack and is pretty damn good at it. Hazard also also had a better chemistry on the field with Luis, who made his life a lot easier, in my opinion. Sorry for the rant.

• History

I agree with @Dynastian on every point, except for the AM position. Carragher explicitly said: “Why? If I write down United’s strongest starting line-up to see which players Mourinho would pick for Chelsea, the only decision I think he has is over Wayne Rooney and Costa.” Mourinho's sold Mata to make room for Oscar, so it's obvious that he wouldn't pick him for his Chelsea team, but other than that, well said, @Dyn.

May be off topic, but I'm still gutted that we've sold Filipe Luis back to Atletico. Since the beginning of last season it's obvious that Ivanovic's lack of pace combined with his huge desire to overtake Arjen Robben as the worlds best right winger leaves our defence wide open. Most of the goal scoring opportunities in favour of our opponents' come from Ivanovic's side when the Serbian is too slow to get back in time or when Willian's not there to cover up for him, like he often does. The most recent example is the Swansea game where he was absolutely humiliated by Jefferson Montero, who's a good player to be fair, but I'm scared when thinking of what will happen if we eventually have to play against Barcelona in the Champions League and Ivanovic has to face Neymar. Oh, the nightmares.

I definitely would have been more calm last season if we played Azpilicueta on the right side and Filipe Luis on the left (or this season, Baba on the left, if we do manage do get him), because we'd only have one slow player in defence, then, which is Terry. Speaking of him, I think we can't afford to play him all the time anymore, as we did last season. His lack of pace prevents our defence from playing a high line, which leaves way too much space between our back four and our pivot, if Matic and Cesc go a bit forward. It's ridiculous how much freedom the oppositions attackers have in this area and I'm really worried that we might not even be able to secure someone who could cover up for Terry in this transfer window. Again, I'm sad for Filipe, because he was a top notch professional, but to his disadvantage, Terry was the immediate partner in defence which caused him to stay back often. Now, this works with Azpilicueta, but in contrast to the Spaniard, Filipe Luis is a fullback who wants to get involved in the attack and is pretty damn good at it. Hazard also also had a better chemistry on the field with Luis, who made his life a lot easier, in my opinion. Sorry for the rant.

bluezz 9 years ago
Chelsea 14 724

Mata came to United from chelsea so no.... He wouldn't start I would love him to start though. The only players who would start are darmian Schneiderlin maybe luke shaw

liomessi10 9 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Liverpool fans...
...or players

liomessi10 9 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Man united full backs are not better than ivanovoc and azpilicueta tho

AlexBatak 9 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Manchester United's players are decent but he is quite right, though I would pick Rooney any day from Manchester United's players.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

I love Rooney, but would I start him over Costa? It would depend on the system, but in general I don't think I would...

Mata would absoultly start over Oscar, he was fantastic for Chelsea...

Darmian has looked like our best signing, and I would start him over Ivanovic, in particular after the Swansea game...

I think that De Gea is better than Courtios, but they're both really good.

This last one is a bit controversial, but I would start Smalling ahead of Cahill. Smalling has massively improved ever since that City game last year, and I don't rate Cahill very highly.

On the other hand, I do not see Schneiderlin, Shaw, Herrera, or Depay beating out Matic, Azp, Cesc, or Hazard, so yeah.

Marcus2011 9 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Wayne Rooney all day everyday , i would place him in AM position right behind Costa . Mata does not track , slow paced and gets tired quickly . Two things Mata was doing amazingly , split defenses with passes and his dead ball crossings .

liverpollfcangryfan 9 years ago
Liverpool 41 419

omg darmian over ivanoic wtf mata over oscar wtf De gea over Courtios ;) darmian just played 1 game and he is getting overrated Gosh man united fans

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Well written by Dynastian. However, Mata was sold for a reason. Yes, he was one of our best players at the time he played for us, but during two seasons in which we finished 6th and 3rd. Chelsea was far from heir best at that time. Don't misunderstand me, I absolutely love Mata, but probably more because of his personality than for what he achieves on the pitch. He was sold from Chelsea to United because of not contributing enough defensively and thus not fitting into Mous system and tactics. Why on earth would Mou take him back then? Especially since he hasn't shone as much in united as he previously did for Chelsea. Allthough Oscar has been the single highest transfer subject of speaking in Chelsea this transfer window, just look at his last game against Swansea. oscar fits into Chelsea gameplay more than Mata does.

Ivanovich has his weaknesses, but he's also a given start player in Chelsea for a reason. I highly doubt that an untested defender such as Darmian would take his place or be on the same level as him. I'd choose Ivanovich here and so would Mou. At least until he has proven himself, but then I would probably choose him if he succeeded to.

I would take Rooney over Costa though, because of Costas inconsistency and tendencies to injuries and because Rooney is an absolutely amazing player that would suit Chelsea good.

And Courtois and De Gea would be an even one, but in the end of the day I wouldn't switch Courtois for anyone (Except Neuer), and especially not for a goalie that is pretty much equally good.

Thus, there is only one player in Rooney that would make the Chelsea team today, but there would probably be more players in a season or so.. Otherwise I agree with Dyn. United is always a tough team to beat, but as individual players I think Carragher is sort of right. I'm sorry to say.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

It is easy to forget just how good Mata was for Chelsea. I remember he was the top chance creator in all of Europe the year before he went to United. Oscar against Swansea was hardly inspiring, not sure if we watched the same game. Even his goal was incredibly lucky, considering it wasn't a shot.

Darmian is hardly untested, it's not like we dug him out of South America or something. He's a proved international with the nation known for producing defenders and was great in Serie A. His performances for United in both preseason and in our first game have shown me nothing to doubt those credentials. Ivanovic looked bad towards the end of last year, and didn't look great in this first game either. On top of that, he's not getting any younger.

Maybe I'm just spoiled when it comes to Rooney, but I can't understand why you all would take him over Costa.

Whatever. This is an interesting discussion though, doing this comparison between teams. We should do it with some others.

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

"Oscar against Swansea was hardly inspiring, not sure if we watched the same game. Even his goal was incredibly lucky, considering it wasn't a shot."

Well, I have to disagree with you here. Oscar put up a great performance and was probably one of the best players in Chelsea before he god subbed for tactical reasons. Looked much better than in pre-season and end of last season.

"Ivanovic looked bad towards the end of last year, and didn't look great in this first game either. On top of that, he's not getting any younger."

I think Ivanovich played rather good in the end of last season and considering he's a defender his age is probably a big + rather than a disadvantage for him which is probably the reason he's still valued higher than Darmian. Furthermore, there's a huge difference between Serie A and BPL. Obviously I meant he needs to be tested in the BPL, because far from all defenders do well in a league which is far tougher physically in comparison to other leagues.

• History

"Oscar against Swansea was hardly inspiring, not sure if we watched the
same game. Even his goal was incredibly lucky, considering it wasn't a
shot." Well, I have to disagree with you here. Oscar put up a great performance and was probably one of the best players in Chelsea before he god subbed for tactical reasons. Looked much better than in pre-season and end of last season.

"Ivanovic looked bad towards the end of last year, and didn't look great
in this first game either. On top of that, he's not getting any
younger." I thought Ivanovich played rather good in the end of last season and considering he's a defender his age is probably a big + rather than a disadvantage for him which is probably the reason he's still valued too more than Darmian. Furthermore, there's a huge difference between Serie A and BPL. Obviously I meant he needs to be tested in the BPL because far from all defenders do well in a league which is far tougher physically than other leagues.

"Oscar against Swansea was hardly inspiring, not sure if we watched the same game. Even his goal was incredibly lucky, considering it wasn't a shot."

Well, I have to disagree with you here. Oscar put up a great performance and was probably one of the best players in Chelsea before he god subbed for tactical reasons. Looked much better than in pre-season and end of last season.

"Ivanovic looked bad towards the end of last year, and didn't look great in this first game either. On top of that, he's not getting any younger."

I thought Ivanovich played rather good in the end of last season and considering he's a defender his age is probably a big + rather than a disadvantage for him which is probably the reason he's still valued higher than Darmian. Furthermore, there's a huge difference between Serie A and BPL. Obviously I meant he needs to be tested in the BPL, because far from all defenders do well in a league which is far tougher physically in comparison to other leagues.

Marcus2011 9 years ago

I did not choose Rooney over Costa . I choose him over Oscar in AM position . However, if take in consideration that Costa may get injured then Rooney rightfully takes his place in ST position .

@ktbffhswe

You said it mate . I was reluctant to say it , but I always felt the same way . He was twice best player in team of veterans, and following season in young average team that was very inconsistent . I don't think it was quiet an achievement . Take him back now and he will be somewhere behind Azpilicueta to be named as best player of the year . Not hating on Mata, I love Mata and thankful for great years he gaves us but let's be honest , he just never fitted our Chelsea .

@sunlash

In long term i would take Darmain , but right now Ivanovic still bosses as one of the best right backs in the world. Don't judge him based on Swansea match , he quickly improves his mistakes .

DatGuy 9 years ago Edited
Manchester United, United States 4 20

Wouldn't this depend on the coach though? A more reactive, defense minded coach would pick more Chelsea players, while a more expansive coach would certainly include more United players.

Using 4231 and If I'm trying to defend a 1-0 lead, I'd pick Courtois (better in the air than DDG) - Iva, Cahill, Terry, Azpi (defenders are good with a low block i.e low defensive line) - Matic, Schneiderlin - Hazard Fabregas Willian - Rooney. Chelsea win 9-2
If I want 60% + possesion with more goal scoring chances

DDG (better distribution and ball on feet technique) - Darmian (closely beats Azpi), Smalling, Cahill (Zouma), Shaw (this defense has the pace to maintain a highline and can play with the ball - Matic Basti - Hazard, Fabregas, Mata - Rooney
Here United wins 7-4

• History

Wouldn't this depend on the coach though. A more reactive, defense minded coach would pick more Chelsea players, while a more expansive coach would certainly include more United players.

Using 4231 and If I'm trying to defend a 1-0 lead, I'd pick Courtois (better in the air than DDG) - Iva, Cahill, Terry, Azpi (defenders are good with a low block i.e low defensive line) - Matic, Schneiderlin - Hazard Fabregas Willian - Rooney. Chelsea win 9-2
If I want 60% + possesion with more goal scoring chances

DDG (better distribution and ball on feet technique) - Darmian (closely beats Azpi), Smalling, Cahill (Zouma), Shaw (this defense has the pace to maintain a highline and can play with the ball - Matic Basti - Hazard, Fabregas, Mata - Rooney
Here United wins 7-4

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

Not to bring this up again, but Ivanovic was positively awful again today, and was directly responsible for two City goals.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I think Jose has purchased Rahman with the intention of shifting Azpilicueta back to RB again and having Rahman play as LB.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

Wouldn't surprise me.

tuan_jinn 9 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

If Mata can be used wisely again, he will be on top of the game and I would pick him over Oscar anytime. Rooney over Costa no doubt... Agree with everypoint @Dyn said

Marcus2011 9 years ago

Well with that logic , i am having second thoughts on Rooney , because he has been utterly useless lately . Slow pace not bringing anything into the game just running player occupying front lines .

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Rooney plays like he is 5 years older than he actually is. Shocking to compare how deadly the young Wayne Rooney was compared to the current Wayne Rooney. The young Rooney was on par with Ronaldo and Messi as one of the world's most promising youngsters.