Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Is Sterling the most overpriced player?
quikzyyy 9 years ago Edited
Arsenal 429 9002

Liverpool have reached an agreement with Manchester City over the transfer of Raheem Sterling, according to Sky sources. And we also understand that the fee for the England international is £49m, subject to certain add ons. The forward must now agree personal terms and undergo a medical.
£49m = 68m€

• €7m add-ons, as it was not enough.

Well, perfect business by Liverpool, congratz. Thoughts?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Liverpool have reached an agreement with Manchester City over the transfer of Raheem Sterling, according to Sky sources.

And we also understand that the fee for the England international is £49m, subject to certain add ons.

The forward must now agree personal terms and undergo a medical.

£49m = 68m€

• €7m add-ons

Well, perfect business by Liverpool, congratz.

Thoughts?

Comments
SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

The general consensus is, yes, Sterling is overrated and overpriced.

From my perspective, it is easy to hop on that bandwagon, but in reality, I'm seeing a situation a lot like Bale, where the money being offered is so substantial that we tend to dismiss the player as "not being worth that much" and ignore the fact that they are a massive talent. I've seen a fair bit of Sterling, and he is one of the best young players in the world right now. If Man City have the dough, the need for English players, and the time to let him grow, I think it's a good investment.

Or, per Man City usual, the player will be put in a cluster**** where they end up warming the bench.

Who can tell? Ask me again in a few years.

CroatiaFan123 9 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Way too overpriced...

shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

in the start when i was following him and he was sparkling in the right direction i would've payed around 30mil €. the current price is a joke.

raimondo90 9 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Sterling being worth the same as Depay, Darmian, and Schweingsteiger is ridiculous.

ramaboy10 9 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

British players so overrated...

TrapTrapInTheBando 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 1 116

He is worth ever single penny. Sterling will be worth 100m when he's 25 he's quick, great dribbling and can score goals when the team needs him. He's a world class young raw English talent and he'll flourish in man city where many English players play.

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

The difference between Bale and Sterling ? Motivation and mental. You have a player who chose sportive over money, Sterling is going to City only for money and its not a secret.
What makes me think he will stop his progression when he will secure these kind of wages, he could take it easy, go party, do what boys of his age do with their money...
Bale is another issue, he refused a bigger salary and went where few English try to go, he was PFA and got 2 good seasons confirming more his status of a team leader in the second.
When Sterling was alone ( Suarez sold and Sturridge injured ), i expected him to try to carry Liverpool and at least to confirm his breakthrough, it wasnt really the case and he was more worried about his future wages rather than anything. For me he is a definition of a mercenary and the day he will secure the wages, he can do the minimum in training and treat Football as a job, Champions treat Football as a passion.

Bale is faster, stronger, more clinical, more motivated, earns less money, have a big pregression marge, more tactical and mature.
Sterling is more technical, thats it and his awful finishing last year made it look unuseful.

I was following him and very impressed until i saw his character, i can tell you from now that he isnt a future BO contender.

Overpayed or not, for me its not a problem as his greedy atitude could hurt his young career, i would have stayed one more year at Liverpool if i was him.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Tiki it could still go either way. Plenty of players with awful attitudes have done very well for themselves in this game. With the right coach and veteran leadership, it could happen.

Here's a better question, do Man City have the ability to turn a young talent into a world-class superstar? I would say no, as they haven't been successful at it yet, what do you guys think?

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited

Well i completely agree, but as you said he is a little in the bargain situation. I take for example Pogba's case, Pogba has the same age and definitely better, more established in his nation, has a CL experience and show incredible maturity and clinical in front of goal.

BUT, his wages demands are too high, if he comes to Barça, Pogba would be the second best paid player behind Messi, better paid than Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta, Javier and all the dressing room leader.
Now what will happen if he is signed, the dressing room will feel disgraced that a 20 yo player who just landed earn much more than achievers giving everything for the club, Barça would raise the whole squad salary just to avoid any ego war, this plus the amazing transfer price is too much.

Neymar caused the same issue while he is paid way less than what Pogba and Sterling ask for, Neymar isnt Sterling imo, there was more garantees for him to succeed as he was already carrying his national side at the time.

He can turn into a future star, or flop we dont know, anyway if a player doesnt want to be the best and just want to have a big salary and play Football like he works in an office, there is nothing else a team can do to make him better, its up to players motivation.
Lets be realistic, most of players do sacrifices because they want to succeed in life, but if you give a 20yo the wages of a 27yo achiever, there is a chance that he feels that the job is done.

Anyway, its only my opinion when i predict something or say something its just an own view on something, i may be wrong i hope at least for his fans but i dont feel good about him, its more an instinctive thing, i clearly feel that he does not give a f**k about his career progression or his current team, he only cares about his individual interest and this is not good to develop skills.

Im not an English hater, but i feel that too much money and hype are ruining all talent of English youngsters, they became more like buisnessmen rather than sportive competitors, thats my feeling.

• History

Well i completely agree, but as you said he is a little in the bargain situation. I take for example Pogba's case, Pogba has the same age and definitely better, more established in his nation, has a CL experience and show incredible maturity and clinical in front of goal.

BUT, his wages demands are too high, if he comes to Barça, Pogba would be the second best player behind Messi, better paid than Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta, Javier and all the dressing room leader.
Now what will happen if he is signed, the dressing room will feel disgraced that a 20 yo player who just landed earn much more than achievers giving everything for the club, Barça would raise the whole squad salary just to avoid any ego war, this plus the amazing transfer price is too much.

Neymar caused the same issue while he is paid way less than what Pogba and Sterling ask for, Neymar isnt Sterling imo, there was more garantees for him to succeed as he was already carrying his national side at the time.

He can turn into a future star, or flop we dont know, anyway if a player doesnt want to be the best and just want to have a big salary and play Football like he works in an office, there is nothing else a team can do to make him better, its up to players motivation.
Lets be realistic, most of players do sacrifices because they want to succeed in life, but if you give a 20yo the wages of a 27yo achiever, there is a chance that he feels that the job is done.

Anyway, its only my opinion when i predict something or say something its just an own view on something, i may be wrong i hope at least for his fans but i dont feel good about him, its more an instinctive thing, i clearly feel that he does not give a f**k about his career progression or his current team, he only cares about his individual interest and this is not good to develop skills.

Im not an English hater, but i feel that too much money and hype are ruining all talent of English youngsters, they became more like buisnessmen rather than sportive competitors, thats my feeling.

BUT, his wages demands are too high, if he comes to Barça, Pogba would be the second best paid player behind Messi, better paid than Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta, Javier and all the dressing room leader.

Eden17Hazard17 9 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Man City are struggling to find home grown talent. Many English players are snubbing them these days to have a better career, so overpaying seems like the only way out of that hole for City.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I hope Sterling enjoys warming the bench at City because he really doesn't deserve to play with his kind of attitude. Moreover, the price-tag on him is absolutely ridiculous. 60+ for a 20-year-old? Geez, this is like the Neymar saga all over again. I think Tiki nailed it with the Bale-Sterling comparison. Bale clearly didn't want money, but was interested in being part of a winning team and being next to other world-class players. The money came to him automatically because he was so entertaining and explosive as a player, and Fiorentino craves those kinds of players. Sterling is literally going out on a hunt for the highest wages he can get. I have never before heard of a 20 year-old rejecting 100.000 Pounds per week. He should feel gratified that L'pool were paying him 35.000 per week as a 19-year-old. Greedy bastard is completely overrated. Is nothing close to either Bale or Suarez.

Marcus2011 9 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Just could not resist not to comment . See a lot of bashing on English talents . There is scarcity of English talent and issues are being closely analyzed by FA and works are already in full progress to fix this problem . Overpriced and overrated . Maybe yes or not , but this is the market . No player worth 50 million pounds regardless of his quality but circumstances of contract , demand and certain conditions of the market forces price tags to sky rocket . Liverpool simply exploited current market situation very well .

I believe Raheem will come good . He will be very good in free flowing City attack . Exactly type of football he will enjoy . He is amazing talent and at his 20s he has done great for himself . Gareth Bale was not near the quality of Sterling at that age . He might be " greedy " lad or good businessman perhaps , but he is exciting footballer who will become World class under Pellegrini .

Heisinburg 9 years ago Edited
Manchester United 67 1516

Money ruin lives. Sterling will soon move to QPR after 2 or 3 seasons.

Stevie G was on point during his interview with Rio Ferdinand, 'football today is so different, or even corrupt because the growth of young talents are being greatly declined by the spoils of money'.

Football needs to go back to the classics, where young players would stay in the club in order to be aspired to overcome their club idols, very much like how Stevie G brought himself to be with Jamie Redknapp and Fowler.

I think the closest Englishman who follows that tradition is Harry Kane. Fk the rest.

• History

Money ruin lives. Sterling will soon move to QPR after 2 or 3 seasons.

quikzyyy 9 years ago Edited
Arsenal 429 9002

Raheem Sterling £49m.

Arsenal's Invincible Squad £46.85m.

• History

Raheem Sterling £49m.

Arsenal's Invincible Squad £46.85m.

Marcus2011 9 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

There is such thing called , Inflation . Simply put what was worth 46 mil pounds back in 2000s is 63 mil pounds now days or todays Sterlings price tag is lower than Zidanes or Arsenal squad . Also , lets put into perspective that EPL now is multi billion dollar industry and clubs make good money compare to 15 years ago .

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited

Sterling = 2 * Alexis Sanchez = 2 * Ggotze = 2 * Lewandowski = 2.5 * Cesc Fabregas = 2.5 * Diego Costa. And this was only last year transfers...

• History

Sterling = 2 * Alexis Sanchez = 2.5 * Cesc Fabregas = 2.5 * Diego Costa. And this was only last year transfers...

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

EPL is multi billion dollar industry yes, yet I don't see other top teams splashing money like this, for 50M Reading build stadium, now you got some english guy who did nothing.

Can you imagine for example Southampton with these money available?

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

I agree with you Quikzyy but Southampton had lots more than that to spend last year.. I recall it was in the excess of £120mil+ or something like that.

Overall it's a ridiculous transfer. He's just not worth it. He's good, he's quick but... Nah...

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

There is no way you can justify Sterling's price tag. No way. Not unless he spends 6 or 7+ years at City as a key player and wins a minimum of 7-8 trophies. Only something like that will justify his price tag. Speaking honestly, that seems unlikely. He's not gonna be that good. All he has is pace and some decent dribbling skills.

torontoaac 9 years ago
Liverpool, Brazil 0 2

Fantastic business by Liverpool ....He was no good for them and will never be any good after the tense relationship he had last year acting like an adolescence on and off the pitch.Great things will happen for them and he will regret every moment he spent listening to the moron of an agent