Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Have England got a chance?
mancitydude 7 years ago
Manchester City, England U20 B 4 244

Although I am British.........I don't think England has a strong enough squad to get much further along the road to winning. Please comment

Comments
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

Well, its a popular opinion you share with a lots of people. Imo, England have enough quality to potentially challenge most decent sides and even some big teams, however, they would propably need a better manager and a lot of luck to reach all the way to the final of World Cup. :(

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Of course they have a chance. Technically, every team that makes the World Cup has a chance to win it. If you want to know if they have a realistic chance, that's a different question, with a different answer.

Managerial turnover during the cycle, high player turnover that included many mainstays of the team (Joe Hart, Wayne Rooney, etc), a disorganized FA and expectations that are probably unrealistic coupled with a cancerous press (and fanbase imo) don't seem to point to success. That being said. The squad England took to the Euros included some very good younger players, Kane, Alli, Rashford, and others. These players have matured very nicely for their clubs and we can infer that they will do the same for England. If Harry Kane puts together an above-average World Cup (say...4 goals?) his quality as a top striker in this game will be undeniable. Believe me, it is being denied at the moment.

But looking at the players is missing the point. England has rarely failed because of its quality, it has failed because of its cohesion. Does this version of England have the chemistry that other, objectively more talented English squads have not? Neither myself nor anyone else not directly involved in the program can answer that.

mancitydude 7 years ago

Sterling is playing much better under Pep...and i hope this passes on to other England players......Kane is not quite the wonder everyone thinks, and needs to keep scoring for england before i think hes good enough.........please bring back vardy and defoe to show the lads how to score

I also beleive bringing in more of the U21 World Cup winners into the squad will actually boost it!!!
#ThreeLions #YoungLions

raimondo90 7 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

I wouldn't classify England as one of the three most likely to win, but the WC is a knockout tournament and you can be extremely fortunate and move on even if you weren't the better side. With the said, England has a good squad on the individual level. It's gonna surely come down to their chemistry and the luck on the draws. Id say they easily make it to quarter finals.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

No, England doesn't have a chance to win the World Cup. No need to waste more words.

liomessi10 7 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

the u-21 squad is like reeeeeaaally good so maybe 2022?
atm other teams are a lot better though.

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

This England squad is probably most average they ever had, combined with shit manager and not-so-much-better FA they really don't have to hope for anything big. Getting past round of 16 will be success for them imo. They only have Harry Kane and maybe few in-form players such as Sterling, Stones, Walker, Alli or etc but lack team spirit.

Maybe they can really get what they waited for so long with Sancho, Gomes, Nelson, Foden, Hudson-Odoi, Sessegnon... it's generation with more potential than this one.

Pronax 7 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur 1 544

kane is better than vardy and defoe, no need to get biased

Pronax 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur 1 544

a new manager should be hired. England should play fast counter attack football using the wings as they have very fast wingers and also should employ long passes which is the identity of English football, not to forget long range shots. Then they can achieve smthing. An english manager with this gameplan should be hired.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

a new manager should be hired. England should play fast counter attack football using the wings as they have very fast wingers and also should employ long passes which is the identity of English football, not to forget long range shots. Then they can achieve smthing. An english manager should be hired.

DarioUtd 7 years ago
Manchester United 27 493

Rashford and Sterling are the only ones that seem to try to 'perform' in the England matches, and as @mancitydude says if Sterling plays as well for England as he does for City then hopefully it'll get the other players going!! Lol! This England team are seriously boring to watch as well! If we are gonna get anywhere in the World Cup, (very likely!) ffs use a new gameplan or get a new manager!

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Pronax True, Vardy and Defoe never really rised to the occasion when they were at last called to the national team, Kane is generaly better than them.

Also, I feel Kane is seriously underated, like Sun said, its true he need to score a bit more for England but he did play an important in their qualification.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

England, I would classify them as a lower tier three team. They don't play the best football, and the gameplan is not so good either.

Tier 1: Germany, Brazil, Spain
Tier 2: France, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium
Tier 3: Uruguay, Colombia, Poland, England

I'd say they should get to the quarter finals, as long as they avoid any tier 1 or tier 2 teams.

mancitydude 6 years ago

A Neymar, Gabriel Jesus, Coutinho, Firmino inspired Brazil should win, with Germany and France 2nd and third.
Belgium have an immense Premier League squad - De Bruyne, Lukaku, Fellaini, Courtois, Vertonghen, Kompany etc etc - but still dont seem able to work fully as a team......i still see them doing extremely well though