4 702

Such

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Such an excessive ban 🤦‍♂️😡

Comments
quikzyyy 4 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

seriously i'm so pissed about the protection from referees, you touch him and you get a ban. however their incompetence and absolute disgraceful performances are never punished, how is that possible?

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

I'm going to go against the public mood on this one and say he deserves the punishment or should've gotten a harsher one. By the letter of the law in the game, you aren't even supposed to speak to the referee, let alone crowd them, and certainly not touch them.

You can talk about the protection of referees all you like, but in this situation (aided by VAR) the referee made the correct red card on Monaco, and Martins following push had zero justification whatsoever. He's a complete melon and deserves every second of his ban. Sadly it's a ban that spans the offseason so he'll barely miss more than 5 games as a result of it.

Manmanutd 4 years ago Edited
4 702

What

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

What is this nonsense about needing to respect the ref so much compared to their opponents? Why dont they give a red card to players who push their opponents?

DarthFooty 4 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

The first "push" was eh, but fact is, he touched the Ref. The second push sealed it for me. In fact, I would have liked to of seen Reds or Yellows on any player that crowded the Ref. Outside the Capt, no one should get up in their face, but it is never enforced.

That is a tough job. You are NEVER right, you are BLIND, Stupid, never in the right position, always unfair, don't know the rules....

I try to have all my players go be a Ref somewhere. It helps with perspective!

tuan_jinn 4 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

It should be a ban, might be a bit harsh but it's a ban.

Although, they should have been consistent with other simliar faults too. Lile the one with Ronaldo... How can you have any respect if one is a lot heavier than another because of popularity

quikzyyy 4 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I'm going to go against the public mood on this one and say he deserves the punishment or should've gotten a harsher one.

pushing referee deserves 6months ban?

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

pushing referee deserves 6months ban?

Probably more tbh.

If you make the punishment so strong that it deters that behavior, that's what's done. It's not out of line with other sports, in American football you get one game for so much as touching a referee, I cannot imagine a push would be anything less than a season-long suspension. Baseball is a bit different because arguing with the umpire is part of the game, but contact is still a no-no. Basketball has more player power than any other sport so they get away with more, but a several month long ban wouldn't be a surprise. In hockey I'm not even sure it's even been done, but hockey coddles their refs like no one else, so a year would be my guess.

The core point for me is this: no one likes referees in soccer. They are necessary for the game, but players, managers, and fans hate them with a passion. If leagues allow even a SHRED of physical contact towards them, that's opening a whole can of worms that could prove significantly dangerous for the overall health of the sport. I don't think that's an understatement.

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

@quikzyyy The thing is, in France, the tolerance for that kind of behaviour is even lower than in other country. Personally, I think the lenght of the ban is more a question of making an example to make sure this kind of behaviour doesn't spread to other player.

Like sun said, the ref in football already need to support a lot of abuse than they shouldn't support or at least, wouldn't support in other sports so the least the different association can do is protect them physically.

Greatone 4 years ago
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

correct sunflash, pushing the referee should be banned for a long time and it works exactly as intended : to make a statement. BUT the main point is that the reference point is for a much shorter ban. Ronaldo's ban for example and even look at detestable acts like biting: suarez got 7 games ban for it. that's all. This player has had no previous incidents or anything.

What they should do is a mix of suspension and probation, with the player being suspended for 4 games and on probation where if he gets into anything bad for a period of time he gets his original suspension altered to be longer. precedent for a long ban isn't even set so it's really harsh against this one player.

And the worst part is they are (of course) not addressing the underlying issue, just putting a band-aid on the problem; there is no respect for referees in football. the governing bodies do their little "respect" ads and all but nothing really to change the behaviour of players in all levels. Until they put in place some policies towards that direction they shouldn't be handing out huge bans like that because they themselves are a part of the problem.

amir_keal 4 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

6 months is just crazy

Ledley 4 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

I agree with the ban.

The 6 months comes from the old days of players attacking refs so we've moved on from there.