Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Flops or hits: Summer top 10 transfer.
Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

So last summer, they were quite a few big transfer going on. Now the question I ask myself is, which of the biggest transfer last were flop for you guys and which do you think are not. Here are the ten transfer I propose to review in this thread:

1. João Félix from Benfica to Atletico Madrid for £113.40m
  2. Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid to FC Barcelona for £108m
  3. Eden Hazard from Chelsea to Real Madrid for £103.50m
  4. Harry Maguire from Leicester City to Manchester United for £78.30m
  5. Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax to Juventus for £76.95m
  6. Nicolas Pépé from Lille to Arsenal for £72m
  7. Lucas Hernández from Atletico Madrid to Bayern Munich for £72m
  8. Frenkie De Jong from Ajax to FC Barcelona for £67.50m
  9. Romelu Lukaku from Manchester United to Inter Milan for £66.60m
  10. Rodri from Atletico Madrid to Manchester City for £63.00m

So among those player, taking the current season into consideration, which do you think are flops, hits or somewhere in between? Share your thought as to why if you feel like it. :D

Comments
Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11432

Here how I would personally rank them:

Hits: Lukaku, Rodri, Maguire (those player have adapted well into their team and I consider they have performed correctly)

Small Hits: Hazard, de Ligt, De Jong (they didn't perform as well as some might have expected or might have had poor runs of form at some point but overall, their respective team seem satisfied with them)

Small Flops: Joao Félix, Nicolas Pépé, Griezmann (they had dissapointing performance considering the amount spend for them but they still have the managed to do good things from time to time and their team seem to count on them for the future)

Big Flops: Lucas Hernandez (he failled to really make a place for himself in his team and has been plagued by injury and poor run of form, doubt he will remain at his current club for long and if he does, he will need to prove a lot to be given a titular role in the team)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Here how I would personally rank them:

Hits: Lukaku, Rodri, Maguire (those player have adapted well into their team and I consider they have performed correctly)

Small Hits: Hazard, de Ligt, De Jong (they didn't perform as well as some might have expected or might have had poor runs of form at some point but overall, their respective team seem satisfied with them)

Small Flops: Joao Félix, Nicolas Pépé, Griezmann (they had dissapointing performance considering the amount spend for them but they still have the managed to do good things from time to time and their team seem to count on them for the future for now)

Big Flops: Lucas Hernandez (he failled to really make a place for himself in his team and has been plagued by injury and poor run of form, doubt he will remain at his current club for long and if he does, he will need to prove a lot to be given a titular role in the team)

Ngannou 4 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain, Cameroon 1 465

How is hazard a small hit when he's done absolutely fuck all this season while pepe is a small flop after he had couple great performances and was crucial in the fa cup final win? The delusion is real

DarthFooty 4 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

Hits: Lukaku (Great form), Maguire (Very good season but needs another legit center back with him), Rodri

Small Hits: Joao Felix (in the worst system for his style. Showed his quality when he did get on), de Ligt, De Jong

Small Flops: Pepe (Kid can play, no doubt, but needs more time), Griezmann (Unused and mentally out of it)

Big Flops: Hazard (might be the only one, but I was not impressed at all with his play this season, especially compared to when at Chelsea), Hernandez

Emobot7 4 years ago
538 11432

You guys might be right, I might be overating Hazard a tiny bit, however, in his defense, he didn't get to play that many games and he still looked like he convinced Zidane enough to have him play in big game. Might consider putting him in the small flop as well tbh but I don't see me putting him farther down.

ArgjentD 4 years ago
Juventus, Kosovo 6 155

Biggest flops: Hazard, Griezmann, Lucas Hernandez. Biggest hits: Lukaku and maybe Felix. I can't decide where to put De ligt, Pepe and De jong, small hits or small flops, lmao.

SunFlash 4 years ago
USA 19 3260

João Félix from Benfica to Atletico Madrid for £113.40m

Fee was ridiculous then and it's ridiculous now. He was good though, and clearly you don't judge someone so young on their first season in a real league.

Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid to FC Barcelona for £108m

Barca are the new Real. Buying galaticos and them underwhelming, name a better duo than that and...Barcelona? Well, it's not just that he's been bad, which he has, but that he moved for 100m and can't get off the bench. Ouch.

Eden Hazard from Chelsea to Real Madrid for £103.50m

As validating as it is to have called Hazard's transfer a horrible idea for everyone involved last year, I'm still put out by this. Hazard has barely played, and he's been poor when he has. Even when Griezmann screws up with Barca, you don't doubt that he's good enough to be there. Hazard has looked so bad that doubt exists.

Harry Maguire from Leicester City to Manchester United for £78.30m

United paid what they had to pay to Maguire, so I'll overlook the fee a bit. If Maguire had moved for 50m we'd see this as a phenomenal transfer. He's been good. Minus two individual mistakes that come to mind - really good. United's defense went from shaky and leaking goals to one of the best in Europe. I'm not sure it's money well spent, but the results speak for themselves.

Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax to Juventus for £76.95m

I'll give de Ligt the same benefit of the doubt I'm giving Felix. He was BAD early on, but more recently has shown that he's good enough to play the part, and he's only 20...I think we need to wait a bit to judge this one.

Nicolas Pépé from Lille to Arsenal for £72m

I'm confused how to rate this because I think Pepe's been a horrible signing and has disappointed in 95% of the games he's played. Yet most Arsenal fans rate the guy and are okay with it. Not sure why, but I'll bow to their knowledge.

Lucas Hernández from Atletico Madrid to Bayern Munich for £72m

I don't know a lot about this one, because I've literally never seen him play for Bayern. I've watched about 15 Bayern games this season. I think that speaks for itself.

Frenkie De Jong from Ajax to FC Barcelona for £67.50m

I legit thought this guy was this generation's Xavi. I loved watching him play last season, and I'm really surprised it hasn't worked. Maybe it's just Barca, because no Barca signings appear to be doing well. I'll wait to judge, he's another youngun.

Romelu Lukaku from Manchester United to Inter Milan for £66.60m

Guy who gets paid to score goals and has done so everywhere he's gone goes to Inter a scores goals. Shocker. I'd love to still have him at United, but good on Ole for not forcing an unhappy player to stay. Inter seem to be in a good place and I think Lukaku has both benefited and contributed to that.

Rodri from Atletico Madrid to Manchester City for £63.00m

When I watch City (about 15 games this season) I'm really not sure what Rodri is supposed to be. I didn't see him very often in Spain, but he doesn't tackle, doesn't have good passing range, is chronically out of position, and doesn't seem to offer anything more than a pivot point for City's attack. That's...okay I guess but you don't pay that much for a recycler of possession.

If I had to order:

1) Lukaku
2) Maguire
3) Felix
4) De Jong
5) De Ligt
6) Rodri
7) Pepe
8) Griezmann
9) Hazard
10) Hernandez

If nothing else, we shouldn't assume big signings will pay off. For the last few years, sub 30% of them have and this list is another reminder of that.

Marcus2011 4 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Hazard without a doubt has been biggest disappointment. This is exactly like when Snijder went to Madrid. He needs to adapt or get out quickly before it’s too late.

Although, I am glad Bale finally had someone to speak English with.

Lukaku by far best signing of the season. I think he is also lucky to play under Conte who likes target man strikers that can play with their back to defense as well as offer heavy physical presence against defenders.

Felix needs time but I think he was amazing too.

I pretty much agree with everything Sunflush said.

Emobot7 4 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Sunflash

YES! YES!!! This was the kind of analysis I craved for when I made this thread!! Brillant! Take your +1 my friend! I would give you a +10 if I could to be sincere!

enter image description here

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Sunflash

YES! YES!!! This was the kind of analysis I craved for when I made this thread!! Brillant! Take your +1 my friend! I would give you a +10 if I could to be sincere!