{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Fifa has fined all four home nations for displaying poppies
quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Fifa fines England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland over poppies

enter image description here

England and Scotland players wore armbands featuring the symbol when they met at Wembley on 11 November. Wales and Northern Ireland's respective games featured displays on the pitch or in the stands to mark the event.

England's Football Association will appeal against the fine of 45,000 Swiss francs (£35,311), with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland yet to decide. Scotland and Wales were both fined 20,000 Sfr (£15,694), and Northern Ireland 15,000 Sfr (£11,770).

The display, among others, of any political or religious symbol is strictly prohibited. In the stadium and on the pitch, there is only room for sport, nothing else." Fifa disciplinary committee chairman Claudio Sulser

In 2011, Fifa agreed that the England, Scotland and Wales teams could wear poppies on black armbands during November internationals. However, this year, under new president Gianni Infantino, Fifa indicated they could punish teams for breaking the rule before the November matches.

Congratulations FIFA...

Comments
SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

I get the feeling I'm going to be a lone wolf on this.

I don't disagree with the decision. There is a very obvious reason why political and religious symbols are not permitted in FIFA, a international governing body that does not need to deal with political tensions, just administer an environment where sport can be played among 200+ countries that have very different views on the world. It is their job to not pick a side in anything, and that's what they're doing here.

Do I think that England/Scotland/Wales/NI are wrong in their actions? No. But a uniform policy has to apply to everyone, or no one.

This is a TED talk that kind of outlines what I'm trying to say here, if what I said was unclear or open for misinterpretation.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I partially agree with SunFlash, but I am just slightly more nationalistic.

This decision has me torn between sides. Firstly, I tend to wear a poppy on my chest every year from the last week of October until November 11th. This is to commemorate the Canadians who gave their life for the nation; to show our people that we have not forgotten their sacrifice, even if we have forgotten their names. I think it's an honorable and memorable gesture of respect. It's honestly the least we can do. I know the British and Irish people feel the same way. In this sense, I sympathize with the UK/Ireland because I understand why they wear the poppy.

On the other hand, I completely understand SunFlash and FIFA's point: We don't want any political or religious symbols during FIFA matches on the pitch and stadium. Football is football, irrespective of religion or politics. This is a form of nationalism, which FIFA must do their best to deter from the pitch. The pitch is solely for football to take place, not subtle politics. Since FIFA is under new management, I understand that Infantino has different views on this matter from the imbecile that is Blatter. He feels that he should make a statement regarding this issue by fining the FA's of the respective nations in order to prevent this kind of symbolism from arising in future matches. I agree with that.

It feels harsh because of the nationalistic symbol that is the poppy, but I reluctantly conclude that this is a fair judgment from FIFA.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

Feel a bit harsh but if it was clearly said that they could fine team that did use a symbol, I guess its fair. Still can't help but feel like this is a bit cheap though.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

It's ok to disagree with me Emo, I won't kill you lol

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

Are you sure? I feel like someone is pointing a gun at me somewhere. :S

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Healthy discussion is good for all parties involved, especially in a case like this where both sides have a really good case. Just because I tend to back up my arguments with a decent amount of evidence doesn't mean I'm right. Just remember that the goal of argumentation is not to win, but for both parties to have a higher level of understanding from when they started. If you think that you can offer that, go for it.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11435

@Sunflash Well, to be fair, I was just joking but thats actually pretty much my opinion. I mean, I think its a bit cheap but if it was clearly stated before that FIFA could fine team for using symbol religious or political, then its in their right to do so against the display of poppies. Then again, my personnal opinion might be influenced by the fact that unlike Dyn, I have never wore a poppy in my life, considering how much of an hermit I am and have been, it wouldn't have made a big difference. So yeah, I might have been a bit influenced by Dynast and your opinion but I propably would have ignored this thread otherwise as I don't really had a lot to add on the topic. ;D

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Sunflash Well, to be fair, I was just joking but thats actually pretty much my opinion. I mean, I think its a bit cheap but if it was clearly stated before that FIFA could fine team for using symbol religious or political, then its in their right to do so against the display of poppies. Then again, my personnal opinion might be influenced by the fact that unlike Dyn, I have never wore a poppy in my life, considering how much of an hermit I am and have been, it wouldn't have made a big difference. So yeah, I might have been a bit influenced by Dynast and your opinion but propably would have ignored this thread otherwise as I don't really had a lot to add on the topic. ;D

quikzyyy 7 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Is the poppy a political symbol?

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@quikzyyy In a way, buts its more of a nationalist one, I guess its could be up to controverse.

tiki_taka 7 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

LOL at the globalization dictature of minds...

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

LOL