Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Favorite Football Journalist?
Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

Who's your favorite football journalist? The one that you feel got some of the best exclusive info which are generally the most on point?

Comments
Yusuf_10 2 years ago
Manchester City, England 16 73

For me its Phil McNulty. He is a football journalist for the BBC, his articles are always on point and straight forward.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

@Yusuf Seem like a very decent one.

Personally, when it come to transfer, I'm starting to be a big fan of Fabrizio Romano, not that its very original anymore but he's easy enough to follow and is very reliable. The insane amount of work he does also warrant my respect.

SunFlash 2 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

Honestly I stay as far away from football journalism as possible. The 99% of it is absolutely trash takes and sensationalism that speaks less to the qualities of the writers themselves and more to the rabid nature of the audience that consumes it.

It's an undisputedly true fact that the most disadvantaged areas of society can find a home in sport and fandom - which is absolutely a positive. However, it also underlines most any media (or business) content directed at sport audiences as whole caters to uneducated, reactionary fan bases as a result.

If you want a good understanding of the in's and out's of the game - former players and coaches are very useful. Jose Mourinho in particular has given several in-depth interviews that are particularly fascinating.

If you want tactical analysis, those hired as pundits are often as useless as the journalists, hired for their hot takes and not their know-how. The best source there is actually the FA's and their coaching guidelines, especially if you can find translated ones for some nation's specific method of playing (e.g. the Dutch 4-3-3).

And if you want reliable transfer rumors, I'm doubtful that there is such a thing, but the tier lists of r/soccer are usually okay. Honestly, I try not to pay attention to transfer rumors, as they're often more fiction than fact. Sam Lee, a usually iron-clad source re: transfer rumors, did a twitter thread where he talked about how he reported a deal as "certain" which it was at the time, and then fell through an administrative hurdle and he got a hit to his credibility, despite everything he reported being accurate. The TL:DR is that nothing is done until it is, and then you may as well get it from the official source anyway.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Honestly I stay as far away from football journalism as possible. The 99% of it is absolutely trash takes and sensationalism that speaks less to the qualities of the writers themselves and more to the rabid nature of the audience that consumes it.

It's an undisputedly true fact that the most disadvantaged areas of society can find a home in sport and fandom - which is absolutely a positive. However, it also underlines most any media (or business) content directed at sport audiences as whole caters to uneducated, reactionary fan bases as a result.

If you want a good understanding of the in's and out's of the game - former players and coaches are very useful. Jose Mourinho in particular has given several in-depth interviews that are particularly fascinating.

If you want tactical analysis, those hired as pundits are often as useless as the journalists, hired for their hot takes and not their know-how. The best source there is actually the FA's and their coaching guidelines, especially if you can find translated ones for some nation's specific method of playing (e.g. the Dutch 4-3-3).

And if you want reliable transfer rumors, I'm doubtful that there is such a thing, but the tier lists of r/soccer are usually okay. Honestly, I try not to pay attention to transfer rumors, as they're often more fact than fiction. Sam Lee, a usually iron-clad source re: transfer rumors, did a twitter thread where he talked about how he reported a deal as "certain" which it was at the time, and then fell through an administrative hurdle and he got a hit to his credibility, despite everything he reported being accurate. The TL:DR is that nothing is done until it is, and then you may as well get it from the official source anyway.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

Sam Lee, a usually iron-clad source re: transfer rumors, did a twitter thread where he talked about how he reported a deal as "certain" which it was at the time, and then fell through an administrative hurdle and he got a hit to his credibility, despite everything he reported being accurate. The TL:DR is that nothing is done until it is, and then you may as well get it from the official source anyway.

Yeah, that kind of thing suck and shouldn't happen, I mean, journalist credibility failling because a imminent move ended up failing in the end. I mean, if the journalist only report accurate fact, no reason to start not trusting him.

Its people saying that deal will happen out of nowhere and then official sources say its false, those are the one I don't trust.

But yeah, sadly, there way too many naive football fan who think things are black or white, not trying to pick a fight or say football fans are dumb, heck, I used to be very naive as well when I first got into football (one of my first thread on this forum was about a rumours regarding Toni Kroos potentially joining Liverpool). But yeah, football is a lot more complex and nuanced than a lot of us realize.

Still Sunflash, I'd be curious if there one journalist in particular that left an impact or that come immediatly to mind when talking about sporting journalist.

SunFlash 2 years ago
USA 19 3260

Still Sunflash, I'd be curious if there one journalist in particular that left an impact or that come immediatly to mind when talking about sporting journalist.

There were certainly some a decade+ ago when I was first getting into soccer. It's been too long though, can't remember any specific names. Sorry Emo :(

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash No problem mate, just asked out of curiosity. :D