Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

European Super League
Marcus2011 3 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

They are destroying football. Fans make your voices heard when there is chance through petitions. F*ck these corrupt money greedy bastards. They are nothing without fans. Nothing.

P.s. all these ideas come from american owners and big clubs . They can stick to their commercialized Super Bowl. I don't want this crap. I want to see small clubs give reality checks not week in and week out Big club vs big club.

I straight up will stop watching Chelsea because it will loose it's identity for me.

Comments
DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

There has been talks on a Super League for years, but this seems like it has some true traction. Champions League would take a huge blow and basically be dissolved if it does happen.

I would need to see the layout, how teams can make the "league" and all that. New doesn't always mean better.

srk_rox 3 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

I think the clubs and financiers are wary of poor viewership arising from bad matchups between a much stronger side and a far weaker side. Like one team is out of the league compared to the other team (Literally). Previously, We could see a packed stadium even in matches where the matchups are bad. So, we didn't have a compelling reason to bring in the league structure in the European competition.

I can only see this decision being rushed because of the pandemic situation. It looks like The clubs do not want their players to be in physical contact with players from a far off European places like Georgia, Azerbaijan with no disrespect to these wonderful nations. It is not just the players who are going to transmit the disease. The players are going to break the bio-bubble and sleep with other women while travelling to other countries.

The clubs probably speculate the situation not to improve in two years time even if the vaccine is going to be successfully available worldwide at the earliest time. Even if the vaccines are going to have a maximum efficacy which I heavily doubt, fans should not be allowed to throng the stadium.

I totally see this decision as a knee-jerk reaction to pandemic situation. I hope they bring out the format which is fair to all the clubs in the world.

We are facing a pandemic situation. As Klopp says, football is the most important thing among the least important things in life. I don't want any football player or fan succumbing to covid-19. I don't know.. As days go by, I think fans would understand and let loose and won't demand much from clubs. Or may not be.

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

it's year 2028 Nottingham Forest vs Stoke city in the final of the championship, where winner gets promoted to premier league while earning 500 million from TV sales, but they also qualify into UEFA super ultra mega league, the 4th most beautiful UEFA competition, after Champions League, Europa league and Trolol league.

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11426

Trolol league

You laugh but I would watch that league. XD

But more seriously, once upon a time, the concept behind a European Super League seemed attractive to me. Not any longer however. The difference between big club and smaller club is much too big already, this kind of project would only make it much worse and solidify big club in position that they would be nearly immovable from. Also, seeing team like Leicester making miracle out of nowhere would be even more rare. I wouldn't like that personally.

Marcus2011 3 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Wether it is a response to Covid or not, I think this is becoming super reality. I don't want to see this happening. We already have big gap between small and big clubs financially. Then we have old established clubs crying that " oh that club has oil money" or " rich owner.." PLEASE HOW ELSE DO YOU EXPECT CLUB LIKE FULHAM TO CLOSE THE GAP??? I feel like same people have their heads deep in the sand. Their favorite clubs enjoying prestige, money and extra sponsorship revenues then buying talents from smaller clubs who build their teams in 3-5 years and loose that team to big clubs all after one good season. How is this FAIR PLAY?

I don't care if Chelsea falls out of top 4, it will be their fault but I also don't want them to be in position where they are contributing to further destruction of talented teams by bullying them in the transfer market. I want to get far more enjoyment when Chelsea lifts title, knowing that it wasn't easy to compete against clubs that all had fair chances. That will give me far more satisfaction.

I want to see underdogs do miracle wins like Leicester. I want old clubs with long history to make come back into top flights.

Markets need correction. Would you want Amazon to become 1,000 years company that never failed? That is what these clubs want. They want to rule and enjoy the spoils without sharing with anyone. F*Ck such football. It is simulated FIFA PS4 football type. Or frankly speaking ; IT IS CORRUPTION.

DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1094

Well said Marcus, completely agree.

Emobot7 3 years ago Edited
538 11426

Very well said indeed Marcus.

Its kinda sad to see the same teams who are against racism wanting to have an advantage over all the smaller and less favored teams. I know its not the same thing but not treating everyone equally or getting an advantage in life because of your history or situation kinda strike me as something similar to racism.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Very well said indeed Marcus. Its kinda sad to see the same teams who are against racism wanting to have an advantage over all the smaller and less favored teams. I know its not the same thing but not treating everyone equally or getting an advantage in life because of your history or situation kinda strike me as something similar to racism.

SunFlash 3 years ago
USA 19 3260

That there is a gulf in football is common knowledge. The old clubs of the word with domestic millionaire ownership as opposed to foreign sugar daddies have virtually no chance to break through. Once in a blue moon Leicester City will win the Premier League, but look around. Bayern and Dortmund dominate Germany, with only a new sugar daddy club threatening. Juventus has dicked on Serie A for a decade. Real and Barca have La Liga by the balls even while their administrations operate in ineptitude that would get most clubs relegated. Even the UCL "feel good stories" are club like Ajax and Porto who doggy their domestic leagues for money every year.

Look at the history of who won leagues and the variety is significantly larger than today. This is not a new trend, and has been increasing in relevance since the advent of large-scale broadcasting contracts.

The Super League acknowledges this massive gulf in resources and proposes a solution. Why should these clubs with significantly more resources play fodder like Girona or Parma or Berlin or Newcastle? Wouldn't it be far more fair if we abandoned the fodder to their fate and stopped pretending to have contests for leagues that are dominated by a few clubs and instead actually have a competitive league with all the relevant clubs in it? Sure, most clubs in the world would die (or at the very least be relegated to the equivalent of second tier with no hope of promotion), but this is a reality anyway. West Ham will never win a Premier League again. Ditto Herthra Berlin in Germany. Or Parma in Serie A. Without a sugar daddy, it's not a reality. Even Leicester City proved to be a fluke, as while they're now a top-10 team, they've never even sniffed the title since.

So the little clubs would die. Boohoo, Manchester City have more fans and generate more income than all of League 1 and 2 combined. Manchester United has more fan support than the entire Championship. Boohoo. Who cares.

Think about this perspective for a second. Football would make more money, attract fans to a specific league and competition that will make its participants wealthy beyond measure. Just need to sacrifice everyone else to do it. Business has shown us over and over again that that's an easy decision. How many companies operate in most industries these days? A helluva lot fewer now than thirty years ago.

They don't care about local fans and local clubs because they generate so little profit they're literally irrelevant. Sure, local fans would cry and communities would suffer, but after 20 years no one would remember any differently. This has the potential to become a reality because we'd let it become a reality, don't fool yourselves for a second.

Do I want this? No. Do I understand why it will probably eventually happen? Yes.

srk_rox 3 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

Okay... I didn't want to come back to this thread and here I am.

The gap between the football clubs is widening. That's right. But on the brighter side of things it has made both top 6 clubs in PL as well as bottom 6 clubs in PL better off. If the then newly promoted club like Leicester could bring in a top notch talent like Mahrez to Epl from Ligue1(?) for a paltry sum and win EPL, sell him off for a massive profit. They are building a wonderful team. They are well set to kick out one of the 'big fours' and would soon want their club name to be in the new top four. If this isn't a fine example of how to close the gap between the popular clubs and the club who are low on finances, I don't know what else is.
If both the rich and the poor are better off today compared to yesterday, then it is a win-win situation and economics has succeeded. So, we shouldn't be complaining that the rich is multiplying his wealth at a faster rate than the poor. That's just natural.

The other important thing is to never underestimate the business side of football. The best mantra in economics is to allow the investors to do what they want. Because, at the end of the day the investors bring in money which is good for the footballing world as a whole. A humble fan pays all that he earns for buying season tickets but all that money isn't even sufficient to pay weekly wages of the players. Mind you, there is always another sport which is begging for commercialization and give investors the freedom that they want.

srk_rox 3 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

Four or five years back, even I thought the transfer market is bullying. Looking back, I feel I was so wrong. Nowadays, you can't go on to sign 'safe' PL players for a 'cheap' price. Either you would have to take the gamble of bringing in inexperienced players, or pay a large sum of money.

The whole concept of giving 'reality check' is highly overrated. On its bad day, A Real Madrid would lose to Young Boys and get kicked out of the Europe. But to glorify the Young Boys judging on a single performance would be taking it too far.

But in all this, I would definitely agree with you on one thing. Some bright talents shine in these matches against big clubs and get noticed. Even the veterans of these small clubs play what can be called the 'match of their life'.

But world is what it is. The World is always unfair. The more unfair it is, the more the money is at stake. We are all bystanders. I like the idea of protests. It is getting to a point that having too many protests and not even one getting heard, even the protests don't make much sense. Cheers :)

expertfootball11 3 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Americanization of European sports, we will all get all of this dumbass American system. And do you really think this "European Super League" will be free to watch? This is just a way for football broadcasters and clubs who control the market to double their cash-in. Fans should boycott this and not watch this junk, which is also unfair to players since they're asking them to step up even more their physical preparation, which is ridiculous in the time of a pandemic, of new lockdowns....

expertfootball11 3 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

The UEFA Nations league is already a joke, no national team coach actually cares about them. Let's be honest

Emobot7 3 years ago Edited
538 11426

@Sunflash Honestly, you make very good point as usual, but personally, I think that pratically, thing are different than what these big club think it is. Smaller team can and do give the bigger one a run for their money from time to time as thing are. I can give you an example for every single of the team which could join this:

Manchester United 3-1 defeat to CP
Manchester City 5-2 defeat to Leicester or 1-1 draw against both Leeds and West Ham
Liverpool 7-2 defeat to Aston Villa
Tottenham 1-0 defeat to Antwerp
Chelsea 3-3 draw against both West Brom and Southampton
Barcelona 1-0 lose to Getafe
Real Madrid 1-0 lose to Cadix or their 3-2 defeat to Shakthar
PSG 1-0 defeats to both Marseille but especially Lens
Bayern 4-1 defeat to Hoffenheim

I mean, I understand where the big team come from. They want to both propose "most interesting" fixture to their fan and obviously, make the most doing it. But the truth is that those big teams games against team like Girona or Parma or Berlin or Newcastle like you said can still be interesting nowaday. And I think its a shame that the bigger team want to make the separation between them and the lower team even bigger which will propably lower the interest in those games even more. Personally, if at least it wasn't an invitional kind of tournament that just take the current big team based on their power and prestige, it would alreadly be a lot more excusable. If they are gonna make a tournament that will propably bring a tons of money to any team competing, make it so at very least, less fortunate team can get a shot of qualifying for it. Otherwise they are just encouraging the growing problem.

This went a lot longer than i wanted to. :S Anyway, I'm not saying I'm not understanding either where they are coming from but the problem that risk happening is that games that weren't completely boring yet will become so because of this new european super league and that the only interesting will be of that tournament.

So yeah, I understand why it could happen, I don't want it either and I'm very worried of the repercussions it could cause to the rest of the football world as a whole outside of the team which could be part of that tournament.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Sunflash Honestly, you make very good point as usual, but personally, I think that pratically, thing are different than what these big club think it is. Honestly, smaller team can and do give the bigger one a run for their money from time to time as thing are. I can give you an example for every single of the team which could join this:

Manchester United 3-1 defeat to CP
Manchester City 5-2 defeat to Leicester or 1-1 draw against both Leeds and West Ham
Liverpool 7-2 defeat to Aston Villa
Tottenham 1-0 defeat to Antwerp
Chelsea 3-3 draw against both West Brom and Southampton
Barcelona 1-0 lose to Getafe
Real Madrid 1-0 lose to Cadix or their 3-2 defeat to Shakthar
PSG 1-0 defeats to both Marseille but especially Lens
Bayern 4-1 defeat to Hoffenheim

I mean, I understand where your coming from and where the big team come from. They want to both propose better to their fan and obviously, make the most doing it. But the truth is that those big teams games against team like Girona or Parma or Berlin or Newcastle like you said can still be interesting nowaday. And I think its a shame that the bigger team want to make the separation between them and the lower team even bigger which will propably lower the interest in those games even more. Personally, if at least it wasn't an invitional kind of tournament that just take the current big team based on their power and prestige, it would alreadly be a lot more excusable. If they are gonna make a tournament that will propably bring a tons of money to any team competing, make it so at very least, less fortunate team can get a shot of qualifying for it. Otherwise they are just encouraging the growing problem.

This went a lot longer than i wanted to. :S Anyway, I'm not saying I'm not understanding either where they are coming from but the problem that risk happening is that games that weren't completely boring yet will become so because of this new european super league and that the only interesting will be of that tournament.

So yeah, I understand why it could happen, I don't want it either and I'm very worried of the repercussions it could cause to the rest of the football world as a whole outside of the team which could be part of that tournament.