Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

EURO 2020 - Is this format fair for all nations?
_Marcos_ 3 years ago
Sporting CP, Portugal 15 264

So England finally beat Germany! Well Done!

But... just one note on my part:

All the nations from the group F (aka group of death) were eliminated in this round of 16. Coincidence...?! I don't think so... This edition of the euro will forever be marked by the pandemic and the general disorganization of the event!

• How 3 of the top 6/7 European football nation end up in the same group in a tournament with 24 nations...?!

• 11 cities from 11 different countries in the middle of a global pandemic...?!

• Group stage where the 3 games are in 3 different countries, wearing players needlessly with long journeys...?!

• Nations that benefit highly because they play all the games at home and don't have to travel long distances...?!

How is this fair?! How can we judge two nation on the field when one have more time to rest, and didn't have long hours of travel to do before the game?! I'm not saying that England, Switzerland and Belgium didn't deserve to go to the next stage. I just think that fatigue was visible on the nations that had multiple long trips, always playing away from home and, on top of that, with less days to rest.

With the semi-final and final in England, you can be sure England will win EURO 2020! If it was to be like that, it would be better if the EURO was entirely in the UK (England)!!! At least all the nations didn't have to travel long distances for each game!

England will finish the EURO with only 1 away game in the "tournament hosted by multiple countries" ... RIDICULOUS!

Congratulations to England for winning the EURO 2020!

Comments
Greatone 3 years ago
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

All four teams in the semifinals played all their group games at home.

I mean this just makes it plain and clear, regardless of teams deserving to go through or not, fatigue always plays a major role in matches.

Emrecan_58 3 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

I've been telling everyone that Denmark will play in the final for 2 weeks now. Was hoping it'd be against Belgium but it will probably be against Italy. Do not underestimate Denmark's chances in the semis. Only disadvantage is well they will be playing an away game.

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I liked the usage of more stadiums, maybe using 2-3 countries where the distances would be at least similar. Like 2 groups in Munich, 2 groups in Budapest, 2 groups in Prague.

But it's absolutely ridiculous that England basically played whole tournament at home with one trip to Rome, while for example Switzerland played in Baku, then Rome, followed by another trip to Baku, then Bucharest and Saint-Petersburg, ridiculous decision by UEFA.

_Marcos_ 3 years ago
Sporting CP, Portugal 15 264

All four teams in the semifinals played all their group games at home.
England - 3 x London
Denmark - 3 x Copenhagen
Italy- 3 x Rome
Spain- 3 x Seville

Thank you @quikzyyy for proving my point!

This fact is not a coincidence! Its a consequence of the unnecessary fatigue imposed on some players/nations (long trips).

I really hope that this kind of tournament organization doesn't happen again.

Footy_watch 3 years ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1851

Seems like the tournament was rigged for the current teams to reach the semis then

Greatone 3 years ago
Arsenal, Australia 19 727

I liked the usage of more stadiums, maybe using 2-3 countries where the distances would be at least similar.

The idea behind having a few close by countries host the games is awesome, brings variety. But the host countries shouldn't inherently get a sporting advantage by hosting, only financial.

UEFA's reasoning is probably: "we did it so we could get lots of fans into the stadiums because it's COVID", but it's not like you can't travel within Europe anyways and it seems really unreasonably unfair to send teams to Baku at all if the majority of games are in western Europe. It's just dumb.

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Wondering how much money is coming to UEFA from Azerbaijan, to host EURO, before that it was Europa League where they denied Mkhitaryan entry yet UEFA pretends they care about fans and players.

Marcus2011 3 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

"we did it so we could get lots of fans into the stadiums because it's COVID",

Yeah i call that total BS. They came up with this format long before covid was in sight. Purely for money, and probably nations that pay the most money to UEFA got to host it more often.

Seems like the tournament was rigged for the current teams to reach the semis then

I am confident UEFA still hasn't abandoned their old habits of trying to influence tournament results.

expertfootball11 3 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

The whole point of hosting it in many cities was destroyed due to COVID and the fact that travel restrictions and other stuff killed the atmosphere. Plus we have a bunch of non-European states like Baku who lobbied UEFA to get games in their stadium, it's all about money indeed... Money controls football, and footballers are the first victims

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11429

Even Aleksander Čeferin said he would never host that kind of tournament again, kinda prove how this format doesn't work.